Your current preferred way to access BI on cell phone?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
When you are on another network (not at home) are most of you using UI3 in a Chrome window or are you using the BI app on your mobile phone? It would appear that if you are using built-in VPN on your router that you'd have to add virtual port forwarding for the BI app and I know a lot of you don't want to open up any port if it can be avoided.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you are on another network (not at home) are most of you using UI3 in a Chrome window or are you using the BI app on your mobile phone? It would appear that if you are using built-in VPN on your router that you'd have to add virtual port forwarding for the BI app and I know a lot of you don't want to open up any port if it can be avoided.
You dont have to open any ports regardless of method. When you connect with vpn, its as if you are on you local network. In the blue iris app, enter the LOCAL ip in BOTH the lan and wan fields.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Start VPN, hit the LAN IP & port set up in BI to view with UI3.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
On the mobile phone I use OpenVPN Connect, then click on a Chrome shortcut icon that points to ==> IP: port/ui3.htm

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BI app + ngrok = fastest way in

I also have VPN access to my network but ngrok has been solid in the few months I'v been using it.

cb8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been using OpenVPN + Blue Iris App on my iPhone so far, but been playing with switching to UI3 behind a nginx reverse proxy providing TLS with client certificate authentication. I have it all set up and have been testing it locally and it works quite well.

I find the UI3 interface working very well on my phone (thanks @bp2008), and it has one feature in particular that I haven't found in the app. The ability to filter alerts to a group of cameras. Most of my alerts are from my LPR camera and in the past I have avoided having it flood the alerts list by hiding it, but then I can't access those alerts at all from the phone app. With the UI3 interface it works very well selecting a group of cameras not including the LPR camera.

Reaction score
I've been using TeamViewer to access my BI server from my mobile phone. It's been working for over a year, flawlessly.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Like a lot of us, I use open VPN with UI3 mostly. I do have the BI app installed, but use it rarely.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use VPN for all connections that are remote. I use the BI APP for the phone, and UI3 on the 10 inch android tablet or a windows laptop. Both work well.

gotcoffee

n3wb
Reaction score
BI app + ngrok = fastest way in

I also have VPN access to my network but ngrok has been solid in the few months I'v been using it.
Hey @Mr_D !
would you happen to know how I set this up on blueiris and to test it remotely to see if it works? thanks!

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @Mr_D !
would you happen to know how I set this up on blueiris and to test it remotely to see if it works? thanks!
Just go to ngrok.com, download it, and run it. Leave the window open. You'll see a forwarding address like aabbccdd.ngrok.io. The free version will give you a new URL every time you launch it, so leave the program running. No setup is required on Blue Iris. Just point your mobile browser or BI mobile app to that address. Disconnect from your wifi and use cellular data to test.

Reaction score
I wanted to qualify my initial post - I use Team Viewer, on my mobile phone, to access my BI server when I'm not at home/on my home network.

When I am home, but not in front of the BI server, I use the BI app.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using the VPN and the BI app, but reading here about remoting to the UI3.htm, I like it. Seems more responsive and quicker than the app.

Using Chrome, it was easy to save a bookmark to the home screen. I wish getting into the VPN on my android was as easy. Because I use the native VPN, I have to go to Settings/Connections/More Connection Settings/VPN/HomeVPN/Connect/(tell Samsung 'no thanks' on saving username and password, since saving doesn't work anyway)/(close the setting window)/(launch Blue Iris). That is 8 taps just to get the VPN to work.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought you could automate most of that on Android with Tasker (said the guy that’s only ever used iPhones)?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
OpenVPN is much simpler to use. "Click" the app, "click" to connect and you're in...plus it's free. You do need to install the credentials, first, but that's a one time thing and easy to do. Even that can be automated using Tasker or a similar app.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wish getting into the VPN on my android was as easy. Because I use the native VPN, I have to go to Settings/Connections/More Connection Settings/VPN/HomeVPN/Connect/(tell Samsung 'no thanks' on saving username and password, since saving doesn't work anyway)/(close the setting window)/(launch Blue Iris). That is 8 taps just to get the VPN to work.
I thought you could automate most of that on Android with Tasker (said the guy that’s only ever used iPhones)?
On my old Note 4, I ran Nova Launcher which let me create a widget that went straight to my VPN connection. I have a Pixel now and was able to create a widget that takes me to the VPN listing, then I tap the connection I want, then "connect". Better than going to long way, but still not great.

iPhone doesn't even know what a widget is, so you still have to go into settings, VPN, and tap your specific connection. That's quicker than Samsung's stock way, but not a fast as Android can do with Nova Launcher.

This is why I use ngrok. One tap. Done.