Zerotier android bug in latest update

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI there is a bug in the android version of ZT with particular phones (samsung is affected) where the connection just drops even though the app shows online. I have this issue,
See this thread in their forum for possible solutions including disabling ipv6 or reinstalling the latest release.

cmderden79

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems like disabling IPV6 in the app has resolved the issue for me... I'll know for certain by the end of the day
Has your connection remained stable? I have to keep toggling ZT off, check and uncheck Disable ipv6, then toggle ZT back on every few hours or so. Doesn't seem connection can remain on for very long at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Has your connection remained stable? I have to keep toggling ZT off, check and uncheck Disable ipv6, then toggle ZT back on every few hours or so. Doesn't seem connection can remain on for very long at all.
No, it has not. I reinstalled the app and will know tomorrow. If I am still having issues I will revert back to an older version using the apk.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, this post pushed me to try and figure out Zero Tier. and with a youtube tutorial, and some intuition I got it going on my BI PC and My iphone.
BI web server remote access wizard showed a funky IPV6 in one box.
So I walked thru it anyway and it gave me the red X's but it still connected via my phone by scanning the QR code at the end.

1678698002419.png
1678698053990.png

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I had not heard of this software. I use openvpn on my BI machine and Android phone, is Zerotier a better option after this bug is corrected? I remember Openvpn was a real pain in the butt (for me) to set up.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It was easier for me since I changed to Verizon 5g home internet and things got ugly for my Asus router and VPN,,,,,So there is a guy on you tube that expressly runs a setup tutorial for using Zerotier with BI

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It was easier for me since I changed to Verizon 5g home internet and things got ugly for my Asus router and VPN,,,,,So there is a guy on you tube that expressly runs a setup tutorial for using Zerotier with BI
I wasn't able to put it on my router so I had to put it on my BI pc, I think that complicated things a bit for me. Thanks for the video link, I'll check it out.

cmderden79

n3wb
Reaction score
No, it has not. I reinstalled the app and will know tomorrow. If I am still having issues I will revert back to an older version using the apk.
Curious how this turned out.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Curious how this turned out.
It is better but not staying connected all the time. I had to manually reconnect after about 12 hours. Also when switching between two zero tier networks, i must cannot just enable another network. If i do that it will say online but the phone doesnt show the connection. I need to disable the second connection and reenable.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed on google playstore it is showing updated yesterday March 14. Version says 1.10.5-1. Is that new, if so has anyone tried it?

cmderden79

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed on google playstore it is showing updated yesterday March 14. Version says 1.10.5-1. Is that new, if so has anyone tried it?
Went ahead and updated. I did have to initially toggle the ipv6 once updated, but about 5 hours later and so far so good. Seems like that is much longer than I had been getting. Will update if I drop connection again.

Nunofya

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've updated on my Pixel 6pro with no problems. Does anyone know how to update the program on the computer side? Have had it for about a year now and haven't updated it.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying out tailscale since zero tier began giving me all kinds of issues
What are everyone's suggestions for vpns similar to zero tier . So far tailscale seems decent . Any other legit options?