Zyxel Switch

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question regarding these zyxel gs1900-8hp switches.. I read a lot of recommendations for them about since they are smart managed switches - but based upon my reading of specs, they don't seem to support port-specific power-cycling? Isn't this one of the primary pros of having a managed vs unmanaged switch that everyone extols?

Hopefully someone will correct me and tell me these switches can indeed do power-cylcing..
yes you can..there are many other reasons for having managed switches, like vlan...

PtolemyIV

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand there are other features but I also believe that "smart managed" implies a reduced set of features and I am fairly sure I read somewhere it specifically didn't feature power-cycling (and also doesn't seem to be prominent in marketing materials of the advanced features) - saying that, it would seem like a basic feature to omit and perhaps they are just referring to the fact it doesn't auto reboot frozen ports.

Can you specifically confirm you can manually reboot individual poe ports on this switch?

How usable is the zyxel interface generally? I must admit when i switched my nas from a netgear to a synology years ago, I did appreciate the step-up in interface.. obviously don't expect anything quite like that for a switch but would be good to know which brands' interfaces are generally viewed as best.

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand there are other features but I also believe that "smart managed" implies a reduced set of features and I am fairly sure I read somewhere it specifically didn't feature power-cycling (and also doesn't seem to be prominent in marketing materials of the advanced features) - saying that, it would seem like a basic feature to omit and perhaps they are just referring to the fact it doesn't auto reboot frozen ports.

Can you specifically confirm you can manually reboot individual poe ports on this switch?

How usable is the zyxel interface generally? I must admit when i switched my nas from a netgear to a synology years ago, I did appreciate the step-up in interface.. obviously don't expect anything quite like that for a switch but would be good to know which brands' interfaces are generally viewed as best.

Thanks
Why do you think it has a reduced feature set? What features do you think its missing as compared to a "real" managed switch?
Yes, you can disable power to any port at any time and then enable power.
who cares about the GUI, you set it once and forget about it.
it cannot remember the last time I had to reboot a camera. Unless you are using crap or this thing is going to be placed in remote location that you will have to travel to, its not really an issue.

squeeze

n3wb
Reaction score
The worst interface tend to be Netgear consumer switches. They are slow, extremely clunky (especially VLANs and ACLs) and look and feel like 20th century interfaces. Some even use Java in the browser and have open ports that cannot be secured! :puke:

Zyxel interface is easy to use and fast. Their cheaper switches also support more features than equivalent Netgear switches.

The most intuitive among consumer gear are probably TP-Link switch interfaces. They even provide emulators for their products so you can see what you are getting and how to configure before you buy the product!

If in doubt just look up the model or manufacturer on Youtube, especially in reviews.

But once you understand the principles behind most things you do on a managed switch, the interface becomes pretty irrelevant. You will not even notice it when it working correctly, and can probably work almost as well with command line interfaces.