1 to 4 PoE Extender

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nayr, Dec 31, 2016.

Share This Page

1. bug99

bug99 Getting the hang of it

How hard is it to add a power outlet to the attic above the garage? I had a heater there and i just taped in and formed a new box with a duplex. ~ 2hrs

2. drew91101

drew91101 Getting the hang of it

I used this same unit to solve a similar issue in my garage. I could have added a power outlet and I could have added a poe switch, but this was so much easier and cheaper for what I needed to accomplish. It was been running strong for 3 weeks now with no issues at all.

3. bug99

bug99 Getting the hang of it

it is a great option in a pinch, don't get me wrong. it is not a good option for planed installation and it does not scale well (2 cameras now 10 later when you are a rock star).

4. drew91101

drew91101 Getting the hang of it

I have a total of 14 cameras but the way my house is constructed, there is a 1/2" conduit run from my basement to my garage. There is only enough room to run one cat6, one rg-6, and one 22/4 alarm wire. Also, my garage isn't yet insulated or finished so I don't want to run a powered POE switch that would create any more heat or suck in any moisture. The 1 to 4 extender was really the best option to run the three cameras (I previously said 2 by accident) I wanted in/around the garage.

5. Arjun

Arjun Getting the hang of it

The single PoE Injector nayr posted earlier--that connects to the 1 to 4 PoE Extender to act as the power source right?
    I'm actually using a Powerline adapter as well (from Netgear) to extend the network to the front of the premises. I need to send power to one IP cam.

6. Arjun

7. nayr

nayr Known around here

this is an extender, not a supply.. its meant to turn a single PoE+ ethernet run into 4 PoE outputs.. I prefer to have everything running off my redundant UPS setup and dont want to put a battery in garage (they dont last long in cold)

if you can run 4 independant cables there then do it, the one you link is just an injector and would not be doing anything network wise, you still need a switch.

Arjun likes this.
  8. Arjun

Thanks for clarifying, I definitely overlooked the listing on this one, haha

9. gmaster1

gmaster1 Getting the hang of it

I've been using them for a while at various events. Some spots don't have power, line of sight, and are 600+ ft away from the main admin tent/building/etc, and these will drive point of sale, ticketing, and phones without issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gwilly

gwilly n3wb

Never thought of it this way but makes sense.

So by plugging in one of these 1 to 4 poe extenders or a simple 1 to 2 poe extender into an existing poe port on let's say a Hik NVR 16 chan machine with 8 poe ports, it will address the new cameras just like it always does under camera management? I just need to add an extra ip 4mp turret to an existing cat 6 line for a current customer (2 total), I think the NVR should have plenty of headroom for 1 additional camera. Plus it keeps it off the regular network since both of them will be coming into the poe port on the NVR.

The other thing I always wondered about NVR's with poe ports is how many cameras theoretically could you bring into 1 poe port if you went into a external poe switch then out to a number of cameras? Most of my systems have lower 10- 15 fps with maybe 2048kb for motion recording on each camera. Love all the great info on this forum:).

11. alastairstevenson

alastairstevenson Known around here

No - the NVR PoE channel IP address is only associated with one connected camera.
    You can't configure multiple IP addresses on a single NVR PoE channel, it doesn't work that way.

12. TiChucker

TiChucker n3wb

I'm glad this device seems to work well. I've been struggling with trying to use Netgear GS105PE's where I need to add RS232 port servers at the end of existing runs, while still providing gigabit data to the existing device. I've had trouble with these as they will sometimes fail to identify as class 4 devices to my midspan switches (Cisco). They have two POE pass-through ports, but will only provide power to class 0 devices when the switch is correctly identified by the midspan as a 802.3at device (class 4). If the switch powers up at class 0, it will only power up class 2 or 3 devices on its POE ports which none of my devices are... I've got two of these switches with the same firmware, off of the same midspan switch, one works, the other doesn't.

13. DavidDavid

DavidDavid Pulling my weight

Would I be able to plug an old wifi router into one of the 4 ports on this thing? I assume that would work (obviously I’d have to power the router separately as it not POE like a real wireless access point) but their description has me slightly worried…. “USE PROPERLY: The PoE Extender can only be used for CCTV IP network camera PoE data extension and amplification (CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL). BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT, PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ITS INSTRUCTION IN THE PACKAGE. USING IN WRONG APPLICATION ENVIRONMENT MAY CAUSE NO WORK.”

My situation is that I have a cable run underground from my basement POE+ Switch (Amazon.com: Zyxel 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanged PoE Switch [4-Ports with 75 watt Budget] - Fanless Design [GS1100-8HP]: Computers & Accessories ) to a shed that’s about 75 feet from the house. I want to put a few cameras on the shed, but I want them POE powered and don’t want to buy an actual POE switch to put in there at 2x the cost of this extender. And I’m definitely not trenching 4+ cables underground that whole way…the one was enough. I also want WiFi in the shed, but don’t want to buy a real POE access point when I already own the old dd-wrt router that I have configured to act as an access point.

14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You shoud..but why....you can get a poe switch for the about same cost as this..you are way better off using local power...
    Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-SF1008P 10/100Mbps 8-port Desktop PoE Switch, 4 POE ports, IEEE 802.3af, 53W: Electronics
    want managed? Amazon.com: Zyxel 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Web Managed PoE Switch with 60 Watt Budget [GS1200-5HP]: Computers & Accessories
    dont forget that you will need a poe+ injector or switch to supply enough power for 4 cams using this...

looney2ns likes this.
  15. nbstl68

nbstl68 Getting the hang of it

I'm confused by, "...used for CCTV IP" vs. "CAN NOT TRANSMIT HOME NETWORK OR OTHER NETWORK CAMERA SIGNAL".
    What are they saying it cannot do? Isn't a "Network Camera" and a "CCTV IP network camera" the same thing?

16. DavidDavid

Are you talking to me or everyone else on the thread? I want this because its POE powered and cheaper than any other switch i see. Why would anyone buy this when they can get a POE switch for 30% more than this?

And @nbstl68, i think they are trying to say don't use it backwards....

nbstl68 likes this.
  17. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

how are you going to power your wifi router?

18. DavidDavid

I have an outlet there, but all the plugs are used up so I'd have to add another one or use an extension piece.

19. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Buy a proper switch and you need a surge protector or ups anyway so there is no issue with outlets.

20. Mike Mo

Mike Mo Young grasshopper

This one can handle higher wattages, but it's way more expensive.

Veracity CAMSWITCH Plus 4+1 Port 802.3at PoE Network VCS-4P1 B&H

POE Switch IP Camera 802.at POE switch 802.3at Power over Ethernet

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  21. MakeItRain

MakeItRain n3wb

Okay, I don't seem to understand how this device works. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here. But if this is a POE extender (4-port hub), then what is connected to the single port downstream of this device?

For example, can you take this extender hub and take the single RJ45 cable and plug it into a 1-port NVR ? Would the NVR then recognize all four devices that is connected to this 1-to-4 PoE extender? Otherwise, wouldn't all four devices be "sharing" the same data lines on the RJ45 jack? Or is this 1-to-4 PoE extender acting as a switch as well?

If you have 1 poe port coming off a NVR or router, and then you connect to this 1-to-4 poe extender with 4 cameras, would all 4 cameras get their own IP?

22. DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet Young grasshopper

The answers to most of your questions are in the OP. Read it all.

edit: thats why i shouldnt answer questions right before bed... my setup has a power injector, so was thinking about that option when i said you could plug into non-poe nvr.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  23. DavidDavid

If you have the non-poe nvr then you will only have 1 ethernet port on the nvr. This must be plugged into a switch or your router. Period.

This extender can be plugged into a POE+ port of a POE+ switch. That's it. Don't try plugging it into anything else except for your router in which you'd need a POE+ injector.

Think of this device as a 4 port POE switch that is powered by POE+ instead of a power brick.

24. ChooChooman74

ChooChooman74 Getting the hang of it

I love this option. I run my POE+ Switch and NVR on a UPS, and using this still allows whatever is connected to it to still be on UPS backup.

25. ChooChooman74

Testing, running 3 Starlight Turrets, one with IR. Pulling 11.6 watts.

Attached Files:

fenderman likes this.
  26. ChooChooman74

One last test tonight, turned all 3 Starlights to night mode, 100% IR. Drawing just under 16.4 watts. The 1 to 4 switch is slightly warm to the touch. No issues running 3 cams at 10FPS VBR, Highest quality.

Attached Files: