1 to 4 PoE Extender

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used this today to install 3 cams and only having to run one Cat cable out to my garage. I have one cam inside garage and two on garage out side. I hope this little guy does good in the cold. Its inside the garage but the garage is not heated at all. I have it mounted up top on a inside wall.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used this today to install 3 cams and only having to run one Cat cable out to my garage. I have one cam inside garage and two on garage out side. I hope this little guy does good in the cold. Its inside the garage but the garage is not heated at all. I have it mounted up top on a inside wall.
Nice, yeah i hope it works in cold too. I ordered two from Ali..
I misunderstood the specs of the device first as there was an answere on Amazon that did not explain it good. I thought it was MAX 6W /port but from the specs it seems i can do two ports 12.6W (or whatever) if rest is unused.

IDLE

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice, yeah i hope it works in cold too. I ordered two from Ali..
I misunderstood the specs of the device first as there was an answere on Amazon that did not explain it good. I thought it was MAX 6W /port but from the specs it seems i can do two ports 12.6W (or whatever) if rest is unused.
I looked at the specs and I can go from -30c to 70c. So it should be fine. Your correct about the wattage as well.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I looked at the specs and I can go from -30c to 70c. So it should be fine. Your correct about the wattage as well.
Thats great.

Mine will be outside under a roof but i will put it in a IP65 box to keep it safe.
Box is 190x145x70 mm so i think the POE device will fit. The device is 105x93x28.5mm

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am no installer so dont know if this is "ok". Its a IP65 box that i will put the switch in. The box will sit under a soffit on my small shed. If it burns atleast only my shed will be ruined lol.
Its winter now so its cold out. Mayby i put some silica bags in to get rid of moisture ?

Attachments

Reaction score
This extender is well-built for the cold, but make sure is not exposed to the elements even a slight bit. I'm surprised major camera manufacturers aren't marketing this. There is one by D-Link, but only supports 2 devices not 4 like this one does. Edit: there is also a similar model by Netgear (I'd avoid these two models at all cost)

Last edited:

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This extender is well-built for the cold, but make sure is not exposed to the elements even a slight bit. I'm surprised major camera manufacturers aren't marketing this. There is one by D-Link, but only supports 2 devices not 4 like this one does.
Do you have a link to the D-Link one ? I only need 2-ports but didnt know there was one.
Nvm i found it i think. D-Link DPE-302GE. They dont sell it in my country. Pretty expensive also.
The 1-4 Extender will do fine i think. Its good form factor.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can report that the 1-4 splitter works fine for my two IPC-HFW5831E-ZE. This solution was the best as i only had to dig down one cable in the ground.
My POE switch does not support 802.3at so i had to buy an injector. I bought the D-Link DPE-301GI 1-Port Gigabit PoE Injector | D-Link

Works great and its pretty slim for a 30W injector. Does not even get warm.

Reaction score
@Myllerman, although I posted about D-Link, I only recommend this 1-to-4 PoE Extender, the Netgear and D-Link and Passthrough PoE Switches (which only contain two PoE ports) "suck" big-time. Some may be asking why, the following table (note that both Netgear and D-Link are very similar providing up to 18 watts altogether on both ports when powered from a PoE at PoE switch or injector) explains---

These cameras are all Class 0 devices, meaning that both ports cannot power two cameras at the same time. It's only one or the other.
If anyone is looking to carry four cameras along a single Cat5/6 cable (without having to deploy / run four separate ethernet cables) are strongly encouraged to buy just this 1-to-4 PoE Extender. It does the job very well. Cheers

I can report that the 1-4 splitter works fine for my two IPC-HFW5831E-ZE. This solution was the best as i only had to dig down one cable in the ground.
My POE switch does not support 802.3at so i had to buy an injector. I bought the D-Link DPE-301GI 1-Port Gigabit PoE Injector | D-Link

Works great and its pretty slim for a 30W injector. Does not even get warm.

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Myllerman, although I posted about D-Link, I only recommend this 1-to-4 PoE Extender, the Netgear and D-Link and Passthrough PoE Switches (which only contain two PoE ports) "suck" big-time. Some may be asking why, the following table (note that both Netgear and D-Link are very similar providing up to 18 watts altogether on both ports when powered from a PoE at PoE switch or injector) explains---

These cameras are all Class 0 devices, meaning that both ports cannot power two cameras at the same time. It's only one or the other.
If anyone is looking to carry four cameras along a single Cat5/6 cable (without having to deploy / run four separate ethernet cables) are strongly encouraged to buy just this 1-to-4 PoE Extender. It does the job very well. Cheers
Thanks for the clarification.
Btw fun story, when i first got the 1-4 POE Extender i thought it was broken. When i connected it nothing happend !
I also noticed it sounded like something was loose inside when shaking it. I opened it up but it was only the board that sits a little loose becouse of the design where the board slide into the box into a slot.
After a while i found out it was one of the short test-cables i had that was broken. What i learned now is always check cables first haha :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
This helps :D

Yep, don't worry about the looseness in the extender -- -completely normal :)

Thanks for the clarification.
Btw fun story, when i first got the 1-4 POE Extender i thought it was broken. When i connected it nothing happend !
I also noticed it sounded like something was loose inside when shaking it. I opened it up but it was only the board that sits a little loose becouse of the design where the board slide into the box into a slot.
After a while i found out it was one of the short test-cables i had that was broken. What i learned now is always check cables first haha :p

Myllerman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought i report back that it works great outside in cold weather. We only have -10C thought, will see if it gets any colder. February is usually the coldest. Mayby -15C later.

No indication of any problems so far atleast.