16 port unmanaged PoE Switch - $70

Reaction score
I feel like that might have been a pricing error, first it went "out of stock" then "no longer available" and was replaced by the exact same thing but at 3x the price. But not before I ordered TWO. Now just wait to find out if they refund or honor the price on the order, since it was probably some junior product category owner goof up.

copy/paste from the WRONG thread into this one hehe.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have you considered used managed POE switches? You can get them for less than $70 on ebay. Search for "Cisco 3750 poe". They are 10/100M POE switches with Gig uplinks. That should be enough bandwidth for a dedicated home camera switch. Plus you will get a bunch of other features like ACLs, VLANs, routing, port security, etc....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you considered used managed POE switches? You can get them for less than $70 on ebay. Search for "Cisco 3750 poe". They are 10/100M POE switches with Gig uplinks. That should be enough bandwidth for a dedicated home camera switch. Plus you will get a bunch of other features like ACLs, VLANs, routing, port security, etc....
That switch is extremely power hungry even at idle. Most of the enterprise switches are very loud as well.

Reaction score
Can't disagree with enterprise switch, but not looking for old power hog with no firmware updates and loud fans cranking out a ton of heat in the mechanical closet. I have an old HP managed POE, it works fine, and I have Ubiquity for most the regular network. But if I manage to receive these then they'll just be dumb switches on the camera side of my dual-nic setup.

Don't presently need them very badly, but at that price for a new POE+ switch (although with kind of low power budget) I figured I'd order a couple just in case they honor the pricing. Jury out on how durable these will be, but at HALF the price of the 8-port Ubiquity 60W I figured I'd roll the dice.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That switch is extremely power hungry even at idle. Most of the enterprise switches are very loud as well.
Agreed, they will be louder than the netgear and also consume more power. The 3750v2 48-port draws about 70W (without any POE devices plugged in). There is also the compact switches like the 2960. Those are silent and draw about 11 watts (no POE devices plugged in). About $35 used on ebay (8ports of 10/100 and a GE uplink). I have one of the compact switches (newer model) in my home office and it's completely silent. I also have an enterprise switch in my basement (where everything home runs to) and so I don't notice the noise from it. It's not as loud as my servers though :).

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I just added 2 network drops to my office tonight as I slowly hardwire my data intensive devices, and now I have 1 port left on my 8 port PoE. I probably should have purchased the deal I posted here. Never imagined I might need more than 8 hardlines. I've got another 8 port dumb switch I could add if needed though, since most of my network devices don't require PoE, yet.

So far I've got 1 crappy Amcrest indoor turret mounted outdoors under a soffit. I have 1 more port open on my switch for a good camera (don't worry, I'll replace that Amcrest) and haven't yet decided if I'm going Dahua or Hikvision yet. I'm about $250 invested into Hikvision at my parents house so far with 4x bullet cameras and an NVR. It would be nice to be able to transfer gear between my house and my parents (trickle down tech), but $250 isn't much of an investment yet, and I'm leaning towards BlueIris for my house just to mix things up and provide maximum flexibility. I bought a gen10 Intel i5 laptop during Black Friday mostly with that purpose in mind.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I feel like that might have been a pricing error, first it went "out of stock" then "no longer available" and was replaced by the exact same thing but at 3x the price. But not before I ordered TWO. Now just wait to find out if they refund or honor the price on the order, since it was probably some junior product category owner goof up.

copy/paste from the WRONG thread into this one hehe.
My order now shows as"pending review" in their system. I placed my order as soon as I made my post this morning. Yeah, I'm thinking it's gonna be cancelled

Reaction score
...There is also the compact switches like the 2960. Those are silent and draw about 11 watts (no POE devices plugged in). About $35 used on ebay (8ports of 10/100 and a GE uplink). I have one of the compact switches (newer model) in my home office and it's completely silent. I also have an enterprise switch in my basement (where everything home runs to) and so I don't notice the noise from it. It's not as loud as my servers though :).
Great information--- looking at those 8+1 port Cisco's on ebay now.... Thanks for posting that!

I came across this also-- cool power cost calculator. You can put in the wattage used and the cost per Kwh and see just how much any given piece of equipment costs to operate per day, week, month, or year.

Reaction score
@reflection --- that small 8-port switch-- is that a POE switch? it looks like the switch can BE POWERED BY a POE connection in the 1Gb port. I can not info anywhere that says the 8 ports provide POE to devices..... :confused:
WS-C2960PD-8TT-L

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@reflection --- that small 8-port switch-- is that a POE switch? it looks like the switch can BE POWERED BY a POE connection in the 1Gb port. I can not info anywhere that says the 8 ports provide POE to devices..... :confused:
WS-C2960PD-8TT-L
Sorry, I was mistaken. That model is not POE. Yes, it's POE powered (which is kinda cool too).

I have a WS-C3560CX-12PC-S, which is the silent compact switch I mentioned. It's a 12-port POE+ but a little pricey.

Looks like the only Cisco 2960's under $50 that have POE are 19" rack mount.

Here's a compact POE at ~$100. Cisco WS-C2960C-12PC-L Catalyst 2960-C 12x FE PoE 2x 1G Combo LAN Base Switch | eBay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@reflection -- i found an old HP Procurve desktop POE--- are you familiar with this??

I don't have any experience with ProCurves. Specs look decent.

it's fanless so should be quiet. Supports 802.3af which should be enough power for most IP cameras. Supports most of the features that I mentioned in my post about port security and mac filtering. See last post here: Physical switches and VLANs

One drawback I can see is that if you want to feed multiple cameras with a PoE extender like this, you need 802.3at power.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone get their PoE switch?
Nope. Still at "partial backordered" which is kind of funny as that's the only thing on my order at all. I've read online that Tiger is having some financial problems like many companies due to covid and might be doing layoffs soon (or even now). I'm confidently optimistic that it will come someday though. Just as a wild guess, I'd speculate a month or two. But keep in mind, I'm just randomly guessing.

Reaction score
Anyone get their PoE switch?
I missed that deal-- but it sent me searching and I found this one. I got my switch and went through about 15 firmware updates. It should be solid for a long time. I will be installing a new 6U rack and patch panel, along with making several new runs in my house. :)

1590863460799.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I was ready to jump on one of the ProCurve J9624A switches until I read enough fine print to see that only 12 of its 24 ports are POE. Definitely a screaming deal is that's enough POE ports for you.

Reaction score
I was ready to jump on one of the ProCurve J9624A switches until I read enough fine print to see that only 12 of its 24 ports are POE. Definitely a screaming deal is that's enough POE ports for you.
yes -- 12 is definitely enough for me for the foreseeable future. I will use one of gigabit ports for my BlueIris computer, and the other will connect to the rest of my network. I have an assortment of other little poe switches I can use in a pinch if needed. To me-- $40 for an enterprise-class switch that originally cost about $1,000 is just too cool.