2 story house, want cameras, no clue, help!

Pluto

n3wb
Reaction score
As the title indicates, I am looking to install cameras to cover the exterior perimeter of my home and maybe the basement, but I have no clue where to start.

I have looked at Nest, Arlo, and Blink for the ease of install, but the high cost and lack of features and reliability has steered me towards a wired system.

I am also not super handy so the thought of drilling into my stucco and stone house is not appealing.

I am thinking 4-6 cameras with a low maintenance NVR, recording in HD if that makes sense. The 4 exterior cameras would be on the first floor covering the entrances and back yard. The 2 interior cameras would cover the basement and maybe the living room. These are not must haves, but would be nice.

All in budget I am hoping for under 750.00.

Would anyone be able to assist or offer some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pluto

n3wb
Reaction score
Also - I am not technically versed either. I can run a PC and use software, but have no clue how to run wire, hide wires, or configure an appliance.

Reaction score
Agree with the wireless cams being pricey but I think arlo pro's 4cam package wouldn't reach 750. I think this comparison chart should help. We got ourselves an Arlo Pro mainly because it's wireless and its talk to cam feature. Recently though, we've been having problems with the battery which I think is one of the edge of wired cams over the wireless.

Last edited:

Pluto

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi TechDadHere,

We are looking for continuous recording, but was pretty sure Arlo Pro does not have that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Pluto and techdadhere,

Welcome to the forum!

Newbies and their initial posts are very similar, since initial posts ask the same set of basic questions. The questions have been asked before, and the answers are here, just waiting for you to find them! Searching is far superior to posting your question, and waiting and hoping for an answer. Which usually leads to another question. Basic questions often don't get a lot of answers, since the experts get fatigued of answering the same questions....

Here's some threads for your two story house question:
Help newbie with System Design
Help with putting together a Dahua outdoor system
Am I expecting or asking for too much from an IP Camera?
Introduction and seeking advice/opinions

Some general guidance:
Help with new system

Again, welcome!
Fastb