2 to 4 Outdoor Camera Setup

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I need some help building a 2 camera system with the ability to add 2 more cameras in the future. This is for home use.

I don't want to tied into any cloud service. I plan on using Blue Iris. I have a nice file sharing server/pc with 4Tb of storage that I'd like to use for video storage. I'm using an Adaptec RAID 5 configuration. It will however need some updating, i.e. new MB, CPU, Memory, Video card which I'm willing to do. I was going to do this anyways. It's my intention to use an Intel 8700 CPU. I have a very good network setup with all Ubiquiti equipment, i.e. router, POE switch and APs.

I would like some equipment recommendations for PC components and camera brand recommendations. I've been looking at 4K 8MP 15fps 3140 x 2160 POE Color Night Vision Outdoor IP camera from BackStreet-Surveillance.
I want to be able to able to sequence the DNA of any person on my property.
Does anyone have any opinions about this company or any cameras with these specs?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. I need some help building a 2 camera system with the ability to add 2 more cameras in the future. This is for home use.

I don't want to tied into any cloud service. I plan on using Blue Iris. I have a nice file sharing server/pc with 4Tb of storage that I'd like to use for video storage. I'm using an Adaptec RAID 5 configuration. It will however need some updating, i.e. new MB, CPU, Memory, Video card which I'm willing to do. I was going to do this anyways. It's my intention to use an Intel 8700 CPU. I have a very good network setup with all Ubiquiti equipment, i.e. router, POE switch and APs.

I would like some equipment recommendations for PC components and camera brand recommendations. I've been looking at 4K 8MP 15fps 3140 x 2160 POE Color Night Vision Outdoor IP camera from BackStreet-Surveillance.
Does anyone have any opinions about this company or any cameras with these specs?
Study this cliff notes. And the wiki in general.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Backstreet simply rebrands dahua. Color night vision is a marketing gimmick. Read the wiki. See the 2mp dahua starlight turrets.
if you still insist on 8mp cameras there are only two reasonably priced models from dahua that have decent night/low light capability due to their large 1/1.8" sensor the 1831 and its sister camera with varifocal and SD card slot, the 2831.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome @Michael Garrett

Due to various deceptive videos from Back Street on youtube, I personally do not trust them.

Also - for video storage you probably do not want to use raid5

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome @Michael Garrett

Due to various deceptive videos from Back Street on youtube, I personally do not trust them.

Also - for video storage you probably do not want to use raid5
Why Not? It's either speed (stripping) or redundancy (Mirroring) or some combination of both. I could do a RAID 6 for better redundancy or RAID 10 for both worlds. However, I don't really care about either. Why should I? What's the worst thing that could happen if loose all my video data? This is for home use. The RAID I have is a nice card. They are all SAS protocol HDs. RAID 5 is fast enough and RAID 5 is redundant enough, I think. Please school me.

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Backstreet simply rebrands dahua. Color night vision is a marketing gimmick. Read the wiki. See the 2mp dahua starlight turrets.
if you still insist on 8mp cameras there are only two reasonably priced models from dahua that have decent night/low light capability due to their large 1/1.8" sensor the 1831 and its sister camera with varifocal and SD card slot, the 2831.
Thank you this is the advice I need. Anymore would be welcome.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why Not? It's either speed (stripping) or redundancy (Mirroring) or some combination of both. I could do a RAID 6 for better redundancy or RAID 10 for both worlds. However, I don't really care about either. Why should I? What's the worst thing that could happen if loose all my video data? This is for home use. The RAID I have is a nice card. They are all SAS protocol HDs. RAID 5 is fast enough and RAID 5 is redundant enough, I think. Please school me.
HI @Michael Garrett - the wiki and search ( upper right ) are your friends here - we've gather tons of good information which members have been sharing in the wiki.

In terms of RAID consider how mission critical your application is, consider the performance comparison of RAID x vs normal HDD, consider the costs.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT!

RAID of any type is not what it's cracked up to be, especially for home use. Video surveillance hard drives are purpose-built and that's what you should spend your time and money on, in a conventional configuration, not RAID.

Put your O/S and the Blue Iris program on a SSD and all the video clips on a WD Purple or two.

I have repaired hundreds of PC's in the last 30 years (yes before RAID) and the issues presented (at least to me) by RAID nullifies it's meager advantages, in my opinion.

But certainly it's your call, so have at it and best of luck. :D

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT!

RAID of any type is not what it's cracked up to be, especially for home use. Video surveillance hard drives are purpose-built and that's what you should spend your time and money on, in a conventional configuration, not RAID.

Put your O/S and the Blue Iris program on a SSD and all the video clips on a WD Purple or two.

I have repaired hundreds of PC's in the last 30 years (yes before RAID) and the issues presented (at least to me) by RAID nullifies it's meager advantages, in my opinion.

But certainly it's your call, so have at it and best of luck. :D
I totally agree. RAID is not worth it anymore and in retrospect maybe it never was. If I was starting from scratch I would do exactly what you've suggested. In my case however I've already have this server setup. I've already spent the money 4 - 5 years ago. It's a nice higher end Adaptec RAID card setup in RAID 5 using 5 SAS Seagate Constellation 1TB HDs and I even have two HDs in a pass through configuration which aren't even spinning so they are essentially new which means if I do have a failure I have some backup HDs. Not to mention this server was lightly used for only a couple years and the rest it wasn't even plugged in. So why not use it? Please if you can give me a good reason not to use this thing I'd appreciate. Am I missing something?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So why not use it? Please if you can give me a good reason not to use this thing I'd appreciate. Am I missing something?
Only that you said it will need "....new MB, CPU, Memory, Video card", so that's quite an investment and implies you're building around something that doesn't merit such attention....not that it's bad but you could buy a refurbished HP SFF from a reputable vendor with Intel i5 4th gen or above, close to 3 GHz, add some RAM to get at least 8GB, add a 4TB WD Purple and likely come out ahead in money & aggravation, use onboard video with Quick Sync, run Blue Iris with 4 total 1080p cams @ 15 fps with little effort.

BTW, have a look at the Dahua 2MP "Starlight" turret cams as mentioned in the Cliff Notes. Also, more megapixels isn't always better, especially when it comes to low light performance.

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response. Again, you are correct I could probably save a few bucks. I already have a couple HP SFF boxes. I used one of them for a pfsense router for awhile. I forget what processor is in either of them, now. If I were to purchase a good HP box plus a WD Purple 4tb HD this would cost about $350. The upgrade I'm looking at will cost me just under $500. It's worth it to me to be able to combine some file sharing functions with some video storage and surveillance functions.

I have looked at the Starlight turret cams and again, thank you some for pointing me in that direction. I'm looking at 2 for now Starlight with Varifocal lens, IPC-HDw5231R-ZE, 2MP Full HD Starlight HDCVI IR Dome Camera IP67 IK10 HAC-HDBW3231E-Z. This is so confusing because the same cameras seem to be sold by many different manufactures. I think what I want is a really good Starlight Dome Varifocal camera. What are your thoughts?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The turrets are preferred over bullets because they are less apt to have issues with spider webs (the IR LED's on bullets are in a ring so the spider strings the web across the lens).

Domes can have issues with fogging of the lens due to moisture combined with dust which requires frequent attention and some permanent fogging of the dome over time due to UV exposure. Also, at they are susceptible to IR reflection by the dome which lowers image quality.

Again, the turret wins the points due to longevity and less maintenance. I commend you for considering varifocal for a few more dollars to help insure the right focal length for the application.

See the "information" / "signature" here of @EMPIRETECANDY for the contact info of a trusted, honest vendor recommended by IPCamTalk. His cams are unlabeled Dahua with English firmware and are upgradeable. Many, if not most, cams offered for less elsewhere are hacked Chinese versions which are NOT upgradeable.

Last edited:

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is it a good guide that if the camera doesn't say "Starlight" then it isn't a starlight camera. What if is doesn't say "Starlight" but it says Starvis CMOS? Isn't this "Starlight"? Also, how do I know if isn't a Varifocal lens? Isn't an adjustable focal length say from 2.7mm to 13.5 mean that it's a Varifocal lens. The marketing on these camera is very confusing. I'm assuming this is also POE but it doesn't say so.

https://www.amazon.com/EmpireTech-IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07B9PG251/ref=sr_1_14?m=A329YQ83EBQGJF&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1545705100&sr=1-14

IPC-HFW5231E-Z5E
I'm assuming this is also POE but it doesn't say.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michael Garrett

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still trying to decide between the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE (2mp) camera and the IPC-HFW2831R-ZS (8mp) camera. I've read the cliff notes and other posts and how the 2mp camera with Starlight is much better than a higher MP camera. It just seems like I have to make a choice. Do I want better night time shots or do I want better day time shots if all else is equal except just the mega pixels. Why can't I have both? Can you answer this for me?