3tb WD Purple Drive/ External/BI Help

lojix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nice !! I'm happy it worked out well :)

...With Blue Iris, I know that you can put parameters on the space/size of recordings. You may be able to set a filter for dates, but I'm not sure how. Although you can filter the clips and group them into days/weeks, does that do the same thing you are wanting?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No this cannot be done..(except by possibly using the aux folders and moving from one to the other, but its a waste of resources) What would be the benefit of individual folders?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just thought it would make searching easy. Is there a way to changing the way its label? "FY.20150110_065718" to FY.01102015?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
just thought it would make searching easy. Is there a way to changing the way its label? "FY.20150110_065718" to FY.01102015?
That is what the timeline and clips database is for...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i was thinking in their own folder by weeks.
You can do this outside of BI easy enough, any folder created under a BI folder (i.e. a sub folder) will show up in the BI clip viewer path dropdown.

I currently have a folder under the stored folder that is not listed in the BI Options/Clips and archiving/Folders and it shows up fine in the BI interface and Db (you can lock them...).

All files recorded by BI use date encoded file names (plus their normal modified/creation time) and a simple batch file (.cmd for windows) could be used to sort/move files into appropriate directories using the windows scheduler to run it at specified intervals (same thing BI does itself - file management is only done occasionally - not in real time).

Now although you could do all this doesn't mean you should, the benefits don't seem worth it, however, that is your call. :cool:

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was this question for me? I don't understand what you mean (and what direct to disk has to do with anything).
No for fenderman ,i did not see your post till later

Is it normal the way the drive shows up?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman I asked Is there a way for Blue Iris to break recording Up in to days or weeks? You replied "Yes, combine and cut option in the record tab...." I assumed you ment the clock in Blue Iris, When I select the files are unable to play,..

This is a pic of the recording its very confusing to sort,

Can I have the cameras record to there own folders?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@born2ride..Combine an cut is an option in the record tab of each camera...it will break the file up by size or time which ever comes first.
Why are you looking at the recording in the folders instead of using the clips sidebar? You can chose the date and select a single camera or view all the recordings taken on that date...
You can have the cameras record to their own folders to a max of 6-7 if you use a separate auxiliary folder for each camera..although i dont see why you would want to...blue iris does all the sorting for you so looking for files in the folders is counter productive.
With V4 its even easier with the timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@born2ride Ok, i see. Your issue has nothing to do with v3 vs 4....you will have the same problem in v4 until you install the proper codec for MP4...(i am assuming you are recording to mp4 and not the default BVR format)....See this thread http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?2269-Version-4&highlight=codec
EDIT: Side note, according to the help file BVR format is more efficient than mp4 and has the added benefit of paying back the file while the file is being written to (in your current setup if you are 4 hours into a 8 hour combine and clip you will not be able to play the mp4 unless you stop the current recording)....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, it has nothing to do with direct to disk...it has to do with using mp4 and not having the proper codec..you have two options..either use bvr (which is more efficient anyways) or install the codec and it will all work...Note that even if you install the codec you will not be able to play a new file back until the end of the combine and cut unless you disable/renable the camera so that the recording closes.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Installed the codec. fixed LOL too funny its been that was for years!!. I just found How can I sort though recordings for a certain day by one camera only!

For some reason I became accustomed to viewing them manually. Thats my I switched to mp4 it play nice with VLC.

Why is BVR more efficient?

CAn I demo 4 and still use 3? Nevermind jump the gun and DL'ed it

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont know why bvr is more efficient but ken mentions it in the help file...
Yes you can demo 4 while using 3...

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SWEET! it merged all camera and setting in to new version! Holy cow there is lots more stuff I need to learn how to work!! OMG