4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have BI installed in a Parallels VM running on a MacBook. The MacBook has an Nvidia graphics card... I wonder if this hardware acceleration will work?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to say if Parallels provides access to the intel GPU at a low enough level for quick sync to work.

ronan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
lol @ fendermart

Running an oldish alienware laptop with i7 3610QM (2.3/3.3GHz), intel HD graphics 4000 (and an obviously unused nvidia GT650m - uses "optimus" technology which means it only kicks in when an application tries to use it anyway).

Running six 1080p cameras at 20 - 25fps.

Before update: my cpu usage would hover between 40 to 80%. Did not matter whether I was using the computer for other things or not - the CPU use was just that variable. Opening too many chrome tabs and having a user logged in could get the cpu to max out at 100%. Opening google earth would max out cpu.

After update: The cpu has been hovering between 19 to 35%. Seems to stay around 19 - 22% when not touching the computer. Goes to 30% if fullscreening a cam. A few chrome tabs with pics and stories easily makes it jump upto 50%. Opening google earth (which turns on the nvidia card) and zooming in still maxes out cpu. I'd theorize this is caused by thermal throttling.

CPU temps have dropped fairly significantly from 95°C to ~87°C. Ambient temp is 38°C.

Got another 6 cams to turn on, not sure if the system can handle it!

Stoked with the improvement! Will be interesting to see the nvidia optimisation as well :)

Updated to 4.2.8.3, now running five 1080p cams, a 720p cam and a 1440p cam.

cpu hovers between 23-40%

However I have an issue.

When a specific android client connects(over wifi), the CPU usage jumps upto 100% and persists there even when that client disconnects.

Doesn't seem to be caused by thermal throttling or anything, ambient temp is 40°, cpu temps are 93°C.

restarting BI solves the issue. Repeated this three times.

Doesn't occur with every client...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, 1920x1080 resolution is fixed with 4.2.8.3. Keep in mind if you ran 4.2.8.0, 4.2.8.1, or 4.2.8.2, you may need to re-draw any motion masks you had assigned to these cameras!! Again. Some of mine survived somehow. Others were wiped.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, 1920x1080 resolution is fixed with 4.2.8.3. Keep in mind if you ran 4.2.8.0, 4.2.8.1, or 4.2.8.2, you may need to re-draw any motion masks you had assigned to these cameras!! Again. Some of mine survived somehow. Others were wiped.
When the complimentary 8 pixels were added to the 1920x1080 cams, and their masks were lost, I recreated them with just the basics, but deliberately didn't save/export settings. So now that the resolutions are correct again, all I had to do was import my settings to get all of the original masks back. The moral of this ramble being, if anyone has a recent export of their settings from pre 4.2.8.0 it may be easier to restore that than redraw the masks. If you do a restore, you'll probably need to reactivate HD acceleration too.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad if worked for you. You could try switching back to D2D and mess around with the settings or leave it to the experts and log it with Ken through the new "log a support call option" ;)
This issue was fixed with 4.2.8.3. I'm a happy camper.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Should non Intel users update. Noticed NO "BI support" letting us know.
Also noticed NO "BI support" telling us what we are updating to. You know so we don't ruin our fine tuned BI machine with a update. "Support"?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Should non Intel users update. Noticed NO "BI support" letting us know.
Also noticed NO "BI support" telling us what we are updating to. You know so we don't ruin our fine tuned BI machine with a update. "Support"?
As with every update you need to be SMART about it. If this is your primary machine you should NOT update until the release has been out for a bit. Its common sense. I dont really understand the problem. The release notes a posted in this thead so you know exactly what is available in the update. If you dont like BI you can more over to an NVR with martyo and see how that works out for you.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have both, plus pcnvr 4200 all on dedicated machines. Not a newb. Thanks for the advice though! Appreciate it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have both, plus pcnvr 4200 all on dedicated machines. Not a newb. Thanks for the advice though! Appreciate it!
Well if you are having issues then you are doing something wrong. If you cant see the benefit of blue iris over an nvr, then all you need is an nvr..if you are not a newb then you should know all this so why post and rag on blue iris support. If 30 dollars after the first year is too much, stick with ivms.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I wasn't trying to rag on anybody or anything. Just making some points. But, if the shoe fits. Then, well? Come on, Look at the update page on BI it tells you squat. You have to come here and hope someone posted something. Plus, I never said I was having problems. Plus Fenderman you seem a little upset, to me posting my observations. You own or are you compensated by them? Lately, you get very upset when someone posts something about BI! Once again, I wasn't trying to rag on anybody or anything.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Peace out. Have a good day Fenderman! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't trying to rag on anybody or anything. Just making some points. But, if the shoe fits. Then, well? Come on, Look at the update page on BI it tells you squat. You have to come here and hope someone posted something. Plus, I never said I was having problems. Plus Fenderman you seem a little upset, to me posting my observations. You own or are you compensated by them? Lately, you get very upset when someone posts something about BI! Once again, I wasn't trying to rag on anybody or anything.
Ive said this a million times I have no connection to blue iris. I buy all my licenses. I very often recommend NVR kits from costco as well. I just use blue iris on over 20 systems and I know it well. I also know what a bargain it is compared to ANY other option out there. Its upsetting to see folks bitch and moan about silliness.
When you post false information like alleging its unstable then I will point that out. Most of the time its user error. If you cant understand the advantages of blue iris, or of that matter any paid vms over an NVR then you are a very basic user. I have repeatedly said that for basic users a standalone NVR is probably best. The notion that NVRs dont have issues is foolish. There are tons of threads on random reboots and dropped cams. Now that can be related to other network issues just like blue iris issues can be. If 30 dollars is too much for you get the NVR and use it. You obviously dont need the advanced functions of blue iris.
You need to put this in perspective. Have you looked at the cost for milestone or exacq? 100 dollars PER camera just to get basic features like two way audio and archive to nas. How long do they provide support? What is the cost upgrading to a new version. If you want to be cheap, use the nvr or ivms and deal with the limitations.
How long do you expect the developer to provide free support? At some point when the user base gets to large, he needs to make a change. So he can either charge more upfront or give you the OPTION for extended support. You cant get something for nothing.

spencnor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My first post here :peaceful:. I've been a lurker on this forum for about 6 months and wanted to share my experience and my setup. With information gleaned from reading posts, especially those of fenderman, I just took the plunge into a security camera system about 4 months ago. I have (7) 3mp Hikvision cameras running @15fps, an i7-3770 Intel computer with integrated Intel 4000 graphics, WD 4tb purple hard drive, with Blue Iris. There is still a lot I have to learn about setting up BI, but as I continue to read on this website I feel I'm learning to fine tune my settings.

I just updated to BI version 4.2.8.4. Before this update my cpu use was hovering around 31%. Post update the cpu is hovering around 18% :). Thanks everyone for all your valuable tips and advice.

Zed273

n3wb
Reaction score
Adding my noobie experience.

4xHikVision DS-2CD2032F
1xHikVision DS-2CD2432F
1xZyxel IPC-3605N

Intel Skylake 6700K, 16GB RAM, Samsung 1TB EVO SSD

Cams at 10FPS, direct-to-disk, BI video format.

CPU usage hasn't changed much (hard to tell) with the update and hardware encoding activated. Pre-update it was in the high-teens. Post-update maybe mid-teens.

GPU-Z reports only 3-4% usage with BI running. Maybe 1pt less with BI off.

Zyxel Camera won't work with hardware encoding turned-on. Had to disable in camera-specific settings.

Not sure if I'm doing anything wrong. Prior to installing BI my home server would idle at 17W. Now it's around 30W. Would love to get it back down some, but that may be an unrealistic expectation. Very happy with the software and cams otherwise!