4.2.8 - January 7, 2016 - Hardware Acceleration

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes indeed, that's one cheap NVR box if you see it annually. (power wise i mean)
I'm not sure if you can build a system that consumes that or less for the same price.
Still costs with 8gig ram 128g ssd and 2tb hd with the machine 515 € in the Netherlands.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, it would take me 5-6 years before it becomes profitable to use this box in stead of my current server.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I can now confirm that Intel hardware acceleration (Quick Sync Video) can still work even if you have a discrete video card installed. I put an Nvidia GTX 950 in my Blue Iris server last week (because it has HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.2 outputs). As long as I keep the integrated graphics enabled in the BIOS and keep the Intel adapter's VGA output active, then Intel hardware acceleration is still available to Blue Iris.

Interestingly, the new card seems to reduce the CPU time required to draw Blue Iris' local console, compared to when it was only the Intel HD 4000 graphics (built in to i7-3770k). blueiris.exe CPU usage with the console closed (BI running in service mode) is 20%. Before the new card, with the console open at 2560x1440 resolution, CPU usage averaged 47%. Now using a GTX 950 output at the same screen resolution, blueiris.exe only pulls 34% average. I'm not sure why CPU usage is lower with the new card, but I'm happy to accept it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm running a 10 camera system, 3mp, 12 FPS On a nuc at 38%. You say you're only running 3 cams??

edit 9 watts at wall plug
What cameras are these? Are you running each camera at 3mp?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you remote it you cannot rely on the windows taskmanager cpu percentage, it may so 9 percent for splashtop but it may be significantly more. Do you have a monitor attached? What does the blue iris remote app indicate?
Yes I have a monitor attached, sort of. It is an AV receiver.

The BI App reports 12% CPU.

(more info than you asked for) When I have BI service running, BI app running, and splashtop running - BI App is reporting 44% and Windows is reporting 47%.

Support data:
Version: Release 4.2.8.5 x64
Service: Yes
Support: Basic
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz [46%]
RAM: 91.2M

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can now confirm that Intel hardware acceleration (Quick Sync Video) can still work even if you have a discrete video card installed. I put an Nvidia GTX 950 in my Blue Iris server last week (because it has HDMI 2.0 and Displayport 1.2 outputs). As long as I keep the integrated graphics enabled in the BIOS and keep the Intel adapter's VGA output active, then Intel hardware acceleration is still available to Blue Iris.

Interestingly, the new card seems to reduce the CPU time required to draw Blue Iris' local console, compared to when it was only the Intel HD 4000 graphics (built in to i7-3770k). blueiris.exe CPU usage with the console closed (BI running in service mode) is 20%. Before the new card, with the console open at 2560x1440 resolution, CPU usage averaged 47%. Now using a GTX 950 output at the same screen resolution, blueiris.exe only pulls 34% average. I'm not sure why CPU usage is lower with the new card, but I'm happy to accept it.
The notion of using both GPUs at the same time never even occured to me, so many thanks for this @bp2008! Doing this has reduced my CPU usage by an additional 15 to 20% over the Intel accelaration alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I finally took the 4.2.8.x plunge which resulted in a lower CPU load to the tune of (approximately) 10% for a i7-3370K dedicated to running 23 cameras (68 total MP).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I finally took the 4.2.8.x plunge which resulted in a lower CPU load to the tune of (approximately) 10% for a i7-3370K dedicated to running 23 cameras (68 total MP).
Are your cameras all running direct to disk? What was your before and after load (percent change)?

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can now confirm that Intel hardware acceleration (Quick Sync Video) can still work even if you have a discrete video card installed.
I wasn't so lucky. I have a Nvidia GTX-750Ti video card in my BI system. I went into the BIOS and enabled the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000. Afterwards when I ran BI, there was no video with the Empire and Poker 10x cameras. The rest of the cameras had video displayed.

I downloaded and updated the drivers for the Intel 4000 and then rebooted. After that BI was displaying all of the cameras. I enabled hardware acceleration in the main options and also for each individual camera. Before enabling the HA, CPU usage was between 45 and 50% with BI full screen. After enabling HA, CPU usage increased to around 70 to 75%.

Guess I'll keep the HA disabled for now. Anyone else seeing this with a discrete video card installed and having Intel integrated graphics enabled at the same time?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't so lucky. I have a Nvidia GTX-750Ti video card in my BI system. I went into the BIOS and enabled the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000. Afterwards when I ran BI, there was no video with the Empire and Poker 10x cameras. The rest of the cameras had video displayed.

I downloaded and updated the drivers for the Intel 4000 and then rebooted. After that BI was displaying all of the cameras. I enabled hardware acceleration in the main options and also for each individual camera. Before enabling the HA, CPU usage was between 45 and 50% with BI full screen. After enabling HA, CPU usage increased to around 70 to 75%.

Guess I'll keep the HA disabled for now. Anyone else seeing this with a discrete video card installed and having Intel integrated graphics enabled at the same time?
I think you also need to have a video output from the intel graphics enabled, if you do not already. Though I would expect, at worst, the same CPU usage if it was not working. Certainly not higher usage.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you also need to have a video output from the intel graphics enabled, if you do not already. Though I would expect, at worst, the same CPU usage if it was not working. Certainly not higher usage.
Does that mean that I would need to have my monitor connected to the motherboards DVI connection instead of the video cards DVI? The device manager shows both display adapters enabled.

It's strange how it jumps up over 70% CPU usage when I enable HA in the main BI options, even if I leave the individual cameras hardware decoding set at default.

650hpAMG

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone else found 4.2.8.5 has reduced CPU usage even more?
Not for me, but the last few updates have caused jittery playback recordings-for me at least. Videos freeze, skip, and ghosting on one camera. Same settings as before. I hesitate updating Blue iris as invariably new fixes equate to new problems. Yeah yeah, D2D and all. Same settings as before and I never had these issues so now I'm stuck in the update game until my issues are resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not for me, but the last few updates have caused jittery playback recordings-for me at least. Videos freeze, skip, and ghosting on one camera. Same settings as before. I hesitate updating Blue iris as invariably new fixes equate to new problems. Yeah yeah, D2D and all. Same settings as before and I never had these issues so now I'm stuck in the update game until my issues are resolved.
If you know what version was stable for you someone here may be able to provide you with the update file to return to that version.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had hardware acceleration enabled on 4.2.8.2 but my system locked up after 12 or so hours. I'm running a freshly built i7-4790 with windows 10 64bit. Also BI is 64bit. I'm running BI as a service. I also didn't see any cpu usage improvements so I disabled acceleration and installed the latest video driver from intel. I left acceleration disabled for the moment, I'll test it again this weekend while I'm home in case it locks up again. I saw the 4.2.8.5 update so I have that installed also. So fingers crossed it works.

Tikiman1

Banned
Reaction score
I started getting system crashes with 4.2.8.5 so I went back to 4.2.8.4

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspected an automatic upgrade to 4.2.8.5 caused 2 system crashes (1 BSOD and one frozen black screen). Loading a week old restore point put me at 4.2.8.4 and so far so good. I've disabled automatic updates for now.

Also, enabling hardware acceleration on my Win 7 64 bit 16 gig i7 3770 w/GTX970 with the on-board graphics enabled causes my two Axis P3364VE cams to drop out. CPU usage is only 18% w/2x 2MP and 2x 1.3MP cams currently anyway though so no biggie. Jumps to about 28% when all 4 are recording D2D.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras all running direct to disk? What was your before and after load (percent change)?
Mr. Fenderman, my statement is subjective as I haven't conducted CPU load experiments and measurements, so when I state "10% CPU load savings" it's not exactly scientific methodology. However, I've been thinking lately that the savings may be more like 15% on average.

I'm currently running Windows 10 and BI 4.2.8.5 which appears to be stable.

I record all motion 24x7 on 75% of my cameras. All of my cameras run direct to disk. The other 25% of my cameras just watch. CPU load when there is no recording occurring is approximately 35%.

In addition, I just reduced the load by removing 2 Vivotek FD8136's and 1 Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I (CH Region)....so I'm left with the following 20 cameras which are running at the 35% CPU load when no recording is happening...

(1) ACTi E33 @ 5MP
(2) Dahua IPC-HFW3200S @ 2MP
(4) Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I @ 3MP (CH)
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I @ 3MP (CH)
(4) Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I @ 3MP (CH)
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I @ 4MP (WR)
(1) Hikvision DS-2CD3345-I @ 4MP (CH)
(2) Lorex MCNB2151 (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP (WR)
(4) Swann 820CAM (DS-2CD2032-I) @ 3MP (WR)

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I suspected an automatic upgrade to 4.2.8.5 caused 2 system crashes (1 BSOD and one frozen black screen). Loading a week old restore point put me at 4.2.8.4 and so far so good. I've disabled automatic updates for now.

Also, enabling hardware acceleration on my Win 7 64 bit 16 gig i7 3770 w/GTX970 with the on-board graphics enabled causes my two Axis P3364VE cams to drop out. CPU usage is only 18% w/2x 2MP and 2x 1.3MP cams currently anyway though so no biggie. Jumps to about 28% when all 4 are recording D2D.
I am also having problems with Axis, an Axis m-7014. I had to turn off HA for those channels.