4.5.5.0 64bit constant camera drop outs

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Matt, do you have the same cameras i do? Same firmware as in the picture i posted above?

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well you will know in t-minus 4 hours after reset if its a fluke.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm having the same issues:

5/9/17
12:46pm: restored
8:56pm: loss

9:03pm: restored
5/10/17
5:15am: loss

9:13am: restored
10:19am: loss

10:23am: restored
2:29pm: loss

2:39pm: restored
6:44pm: loss

6:53pm: restored
11:05pm: loss

11:21pm restored
5/11/17
3:43am loss

I got them last November from Aliexpress. They are these cameras...
IP Camera PoE 720P/960P/1080P(SONY IMX322) 25fps Anti Vandal Dome Camera IP Outdoor Indoor Vandalproof ONVIF 2.0 48V PoE CCTV-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Matt, do you have the same cameras i do? Same firmware as in the picture i posted above?
Erm no I have 601 d20x's
But the same user interface through net surveillance.

Aaaah haha haha I spoke too soon :(

But really though, this happens a couple times a year, always to a Hikvision camera. I think it is just a fluke.

That did make me chuckle a bit but part of me hopes you don't have the issue but part does So you can help fix.

I'm having the same issues:

5/9/17
12:46pm: restored
8:56pm: loss

9:03pm: restored
5/10/17
5:15am: loss

9:13am: restored
10:19am: loss

10:23am: restored
2:29pm: loss

2:39pm: restored
6:44pm: loss

6:53pm: restored
11:05pm: loss

11:21pm restored
5/11/17
3:43am loss

I got them last November from Aliexpress. They are these cameras...
IP Camera PoE 720P/960P/1080P(SONY IMX322) 25fps Anti Vandal Dome Camera IP Outdoor Indoor Vandalproof ONVIF 2.0 48V PoE CCTV-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Different cameras again. Can I ask what your setup is like router, wired, firmware, when it started?

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh I also have a cheap ass easy n ptz well pan and tilt zoom doesn't want to work but it's not overly needed. But it hasn't been affected yet on my system still running normal

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Different cameras again. Can I ask what your setup is like router, wired, firmware, when it started?
Started 9:10AM (Arizona time) on Tuseday. Updated to latest firmware, no difference. Replaced with new POE switch, no difference. I have a total of 3 cameras plugged into the same POE switch. Two of them are the cheap aliexpress cameras I linked above, and the other one is a Dahua 4MP camera. That camera has no issue at all.

I'm glad I "diversified" my camera set up so a hacker can't take down all my cameras at the same time, hah.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Matt, strange, i too have a sunba camera but a different one and that is not having any issues. It does not have that netsurveillance interface. starting to sound like a specific network interface that the MFG's use. Also starting to sound more like a hack of some sort. the 4 hour thing is not coincidental. its not radom, its 4 hours.

luder888, does you camera have that netsurveillance interface like pictured abouv?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Saw this article on trendmicro. Coincidentally it was published on 5/9, the day these symptoms started to appear.
Persirai: New Internet of Things (IoT) Botnet Targets IP Cameras - TrendLabs Security Intelligence Blog

UPnP has been off on my cameras (or maybe it says off but really isn't?)

Article also suggested disabling UPnP on the router itself:
"In addition to using a strong password, users should also disable UPnP on their routers to prevent devices within the network from opening ports to the external Internet without any warning."

Last edited:

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well there we have it, all cameras with the netsurveillance interface are either hacked or bugged. We will all have to just wait on the MFG's to give us new firmware or just eat a plateful of crap. why didnt i listen????????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only way this could happen to you is if the cameras are exposed to the internet...they should not be.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well there we have it, all cameras with the netsurveillance interface are either hacked or bugged. We will all have to just wait on the MFG's to give us new firmware or just eat a plateful of crap. why didnt i listen????????
As a workaround I was going to perform an auto maintenance to reboot the camera every 2 hours but the smallest interval is once a day. Argh...

Also cameras don't respond to BI's reboot command. If anyone can figure out how to have BI reboot these cameras then it's a good workaround to just reboot them every few hours until a fix is there.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman - you mean like without a firewall or ?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can do auto maintenance from within the camera, but mine only goes down to once a day. My next alternative is to hook up the POE switch to a SmartThings z-wave outlet and program it to reboot every 2 hours... lol

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yea i was just about to write, mine only lets you reboot 1 time a day.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
3 common ways for a camera to be exposed to the internet:

1) You forwarded a port to the camera.
-- Solution: Don't forward ports.
2) The camera forwarded a port to itself using UPnP.
-- Solution: Disable UPnP.
3) The camera connected to a manufacturer's server which then acts as a proxy for you (or a hacker) to use as a means to access the camera.
-- Solution: Don't let the camera have internet access. The most foolproof way to do this is to set up a separate network for the cameras with no connection to your internet router. Another way, if your router supports it, is to disallow internet access to the IP addresses of your cameras.

Preventing the camera from having internet access can also neutralize some forms of malware that may have been installed by a hacker.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well that was not what I wanted to read, well in an hour I will be able to tell you guys if running a separate network with no internet stops it. If so il setup on my normal network to stop cameras having internet access just blue iris.

Jared

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks. i guess im going to try and do the third option. the only port i have forwarded is 81 for BI. The vpn option is something i am going to do. i believe i can block ips to the internet. i just wonder at this point if its too late. i have just unplugged my camera network from the internet completely until i figure out how to block my cams ip on my router. Unfortunately i will not be able to post back until tomorrow morning whether disconnecting from the internet helped. But i will certainly let you all know.

M4TTDUFFY

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well so far 4 hours and 5 mins there still up and running I don't have chance to go inside to start blocking access to the internet yet for each camera. But I will tonight. I will post back if they go down in the mean time