4mp cams

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have moved to direct hikvision software for the 5.3.3 which has an option in video settings to turn on h264+. - LTS is on 5.2.2 - check their download page - V5.3.2_150902 is listed.

@jimmyt did you have to do anything special to enable the h.264+? I signed up for the notification about it's release a month or so ago and never received anything. I hit one of there sales guys with some questions about it the other day when I was placing another order and he said they hadn't been provided much info yet about it. @milkisbad - any info on this possibly?

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
As asked earlier, the new 2MP WDR cameras, do they have the same problem?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As asked earlier, the new 2MP WDR cameras, do they have the same problem?
I don't think there is a problem (except tweaking a bit). All True WDR cameras are going to wash out some colour, that's the very nature of WDR. All Digital WDR cameras are going to wash out some colour but add a lot of noise. 120db WDR is quite a wide range, hence more colour washed out.

-> Off to get those settings, sorry for the wait guys.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
In Razer images, I'm looking at the tree leaves and in only the last picture is it somewhat correct, all the other ones indicated with WDR off or set low, picture is terrible

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't think there is a problem (except tweaking a bit). All True WDR cameras are going to wash out some colour, that's the very nature of WDR. All Digital WDR cameras are going to wash out some colour but add a lot of noise. 120db WDR is quite a wide range, hence more colour washed out.

-> Off to get those settings, sorry for the wait guys.
It's not the colors washing out, it is the grey tint of the entire image that is the issue. Also, there is no shadow change. I have over 1,000 cameras and have no issues with them and WDR settings and the like, but these 4mp ones are massively not doing anything close to what WDR does on any of my other cameras, other Hikvision, ACTi, Vivotek, and Axis do nothing like what these are doing. WDR should only affect the dark areas of an image, and it should try to make them brighter thus seeing more detail in the shadowed areas. With the Hik 4mp it ADDS shadows to the entire image, that is not right lol.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's not the colors washing out, it is the grey tint of the entire image that is the issue. Also, there is no shadow change. I have over 1,000 cameras and have no issues with them and WDR settings and the like, but these 4mp ones are massively not doing anything close to what WDR does on any of my other cameras, other Hikvision, ACTi, Vivotek, and Axis do nothing like what these are doing. WDR should only affect the dark areas of an image, and it should try to make them brighter thus seeing more detail in the shadowed areas. With the Hik 4mp it ADDS shadows to the entire image, that is not right lol.
"WDR should only affect the dark areas of an image" is not correct. True WDR is combining both long and short exposures. The desired effect from this is that overly dark areas are brighter and overly bright areas are darker. The overall difference in contrast from the darkest and brightest part of the picture is lower (hence some greying). Maybe these cameras are doing that too much and the colours are being washed out.

Digital-WDR, which I suspect near all those 1,000 cameras will be, tries to adjust the contrast of areas which are too bright or too dark. Generally I find Digital-WDR results in an overly bright image. But I think the same for Samsung AMOLED mobile phones and a lot of people love the over-exposure vivid colours and high brightness.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is an issue, mine seems ok (I have some cameras so it's based off personal experience), so what I'll do is 1) get the settings, 2) take it off the wall and indoors and put it next to a 3MP one with sunlight coming through the windows. This will be the ultimate test for the WDR.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guys & @jimmyt try this

Firmware v5.3.3 150630

Brightness 40
Contrast 80
Saturation 90
Sharpness 60

Exposure Manual 1/25
Gain 100

White Balance AWB1

SMART IR OFF

WDR ON 50

Noise Reduction OFF

I get no flashing and no WDR issues with that and colours look accurate. Maybe it's the horrible British weather? But I have a 2032 covering the same area and the colour are about the same but the WDR is no where near as good.

Also, it's in permanent day mode. Street lighting is enough for most areas but I have a PIR on too (soon to be permanent lighting).

Last edited by a moderator:

jdsuowner

n3wb
Reaction score
I returned my 4mp cam and am sticking to the 3mp, just cant justify the price for the issues. Dont see much quality improvement.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmm... mine is far brighter and it looks like you have more sun too!

Still getting ghosting? Same firmware version?

Your shadows are much better now though and the grass is green. Do you think that's better?

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
havent seen motion in it yet.. partly cloudy type of day.. and yes, same version

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no ghosting.. partly cloudy type of day.. and yes, same version

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You definitely have the same issue as me, that nice grey image. I'll set up a 3mp and 4mp comparison here a little later today to demonstrate the issues we're having a little more clearly.

Can you post the same image with WDR off, all the other settings the same?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK @Razer, mine is different I will get photos up of mine with WDR ON and OFF.
@jimmyt, try putting Saturation and Contrast to 100 and Brightness down to 30. See if that improves things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, my exposure time is 1/30. No 1/25. Have 1/30, 1/60, 1/120 etc.. with wdr on. Have 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, 1/30, 1/60.. etc with WDR OFF
That's probably because I am in Europe so mine is 50Hz. Just to eliminate this, can you set to 50Hz and see what happens?

When I turn WDR OFF then my saturation is too high so all the colours get too vivid (expected) but overall the picture is darker. The opposite of what you are getting.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I returned my 4mp cam and am sticking to the 3mp, just cant justify the price for the issues. Dont see much quality improvement.
Yeah, if CMOS sensor is not good, tweeking settings is a waste of time.