5.2.0 Patch

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Understandably there's some dissatisfaction due to the manufacturer removing or downgrading some features of 5.2.0 - and not even documenting them. Worse, you can't even go back to an earlier version if you want to (though TFTP works for now).

This is for Raptor Series 2 only (e.g. 2032, 2112, 2632, 2712, 2732 etc etc).

Given that I've helped some people change the region of their cameras from Chinese to EU/US I felt I should do something about this. For this reason I have developed a patch to:

- Increase Traversal Lines from 1 back to 4
- Increase Intrusion Detection zones from 1 back to 4
- Reinstatement of FTP server

I have decided not to reinstate face detection as you can't use it at the same time with the generally more useful Traversal Lines & Intrusion Detection.

To say thank you to those who have bought my region changer, I have decided not to put a mandatory charge on this. However, as an unemployed person (just think of me in a cardboard box with a hat asking for spare change) any donations won't be turned down :) GBP are better for me than USD due to PayPal fees.

Here's an FAQ:

What about feature X,Y,Z?

Sorry - these are the main ones causing most concern so I do not expect to resolve others unless there is a real general need.

Can't you provide 8 instead of 4 detection lines/zones?

Yes but I'm not going to. To play fair by the manufacturer, I will only consider reinstating functionality they themselves provided in previous firmware. People have bought cameras based upon what was provided so it is justifiable to put this back - enabling other features would be crossing the line in my view.

Nothing in what I provide contains manufacturer code, nor breaks any license agreements nor laws that exist in my country to the best of my knowledge.

So we get FTP server back?

Yes. You still need to enable with setFtpService start

I haven't bought your region changer - I already had a EU/US region camera

You can PM me if you wish to discuss me providing this to you.

What is the difference between this and your region changer?

A lot of difference.

The region changer is a permanent region change and has nothing to do with what firmware is loaded or put on in future. I provide full support for this, and try to do so quickly.

The 5.2.0 solution is a patch. That means if you change your firmware, or even reflash with original 5.2.0 it will not be preserved. That's not a problem - just something to be aware of. Also, support for this is much lower priority for me - I might not respond instantly like I try to for the region change program. If there's much demand, I might generate the needed files (everyone is different) in batches and send out every few days or so.

I and an early adopter (thanks!) have done some testing and it all looks good. But the real test is people using it. Any problems just go back to the original 5.2.0

How do I put this patch on?

I've come up with a way to provide you patched firmware that you can just upload via the web interface. I do not provide the original firmware due to copyright issues (the manufacturer owns it not me) - you download that yourself from them first. But I can provide a small file that contains my code and a batch file that uses the original firmware + my changes to create your own custom firmware. It isn't hard.

Great - how do I get it?

Please email me your serial numbers, preferably replying to the email I already sent you with the region change program.

As always you agree not to share this, and keep our communications confidential.

Cheers

CBX

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Great work as usual CBX. Surely someone with your skills should not be unemployed for long!

I am curious why Hikvision added those restrictions in the first place. I see several possibilities:

1. The restrictions in 5.2.0 were an accident. Yeah, I wish.
2. The higher limits in 5.1.6 caused CPU or memory to be overloaded and cause stability issues in some significant % of cases. This could explain why they pulled the 5.1.6 firmware.
3. Perhaps they decided to save the more advanced features for their more expensive cameras. Maybe this is why they pulled the 5.1.6 firmware.

I don't know which of these it might be, but either way, I really dislike it when an "upgrade" turns out to be a downgrade.

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Don

Many valid points there that I agree with.

On the FTP security front should anyone be interested, it's the same binary they already provided in previous releases, and it's not accessible by default as it's blocked by iptables (firewall).

You have to enable access first and this doesn't survive reboot.

The region change can be reversed using the program I provide (no second program is needed). This permits all changes to be undone, if there's a problem in the future (a possibility) or you need to return the camera due to a fault. This is not a patch but rather a firmware independent change as you observed.

Any firmware patch (the subject of this thread) can be undone just by flashing the original again.

Certainly it seems a good precaution to check here or other forums before putting on a new firmware, just to make sure there's no issues. I try to jump on new firmware releases to test all is OK quickly where I can.

Again - you made very good points there. The manufacturer can decide to check for such things if they so desire - so any solution I've provided takes this into account and can be reversed.

I have posted a full FAQ relating to the region changer which covers these issues.

Anyone that expresses interest via PM or email is given these links so they can read for themselves.

I hope this goes at least some way to addressing your (valid) concerns.

Cheers

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Don

Yep - totally fair enough and completely sensible points.

I would like to make it clear that I have always indicated the manufacturer could take action if they wanted to. Here's an excerpt from the FAQ

Q So after this what firmware/patches/hacks do i need?:

Language and day of week will be English whatever firmware you have or whatever firmware that currently exists you put on. Should be fine for future ones though obviously depends on what manufacturer does.

No need for manual patches etc.

Q Change I change the serial number, mac address, other parameters?:

No. I prefer to respect HikV as much as possible so this is not currently offered whilst there is no justifiable reason.

Q What about if I put old or new firmware on?:

This is different to the camera region setting. So no problem - region is still what you changed it to.

It's theoretically possible that the manufacturer could releases updates in the future which cross reference your serial,mac address with the region they think it should be, but you can always revert the change before upgrading should that be needed.

At that point the issue of changing such parameters could be revisited.

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good point, but if that happens, they can just undo the region change.

Same if they need to return the camera back to their supplier.

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Apologies if I misinterpreted your post Don.

Again, not really disagreeing with you.

Certainly if this happens I intend to address such a situation should the manufacturer take that course.

Besides, anyone who uses my region change program (which I don't call a patch because it will get confused with patches), has my email. I'm pretty sure I'd get bombarded :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
CBX's fix is great (although I have not used it myself). The chance the Hikvision will do anything to prevent future updates to firmware is zero. If you think they have time or even care to mess around with the maybe 100-200 folks who have used the fix (even it it was 10,000) you simply dont understand how big hikvision is. CBX's fix is not and will never be on their radar. As far as firmware updates and security, opening the cameras themselves up to the internet is not recommended anyways. Just open your NVR....and if you want to be extra safe use vpn.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I very much doubt this. If Hikvision wanted this to stop they would send CBX a cease and desist letter. Something does not add up.....Modifying the code is a cat and mouse game...even apple cant secure its iOS from jailbreaking I doubt Hikvision could stop region code changes whether it be CBX or someone else. As an aside, "authorized distributors" need to be done away with....they, like, auto dealers, have no place in modern commerce.

Bow94z

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not even sure what your complaining about Uber. I don't know why you even care? This is not like Hikvision is losing business because of CBX.

I see more of a problem when I purchase a "Hikvision" on amazon and receive a fake unbranded "Hikvision" with no ability to upgrade firmware.

CBX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don makes many good points. I don't want anything I say to sound like I'm complaining about somebody pointing out security concerns, or best practices.

He's totally correct when he says it's not going to be good to hold off on updating as it may well contain security bug fixes. It would be helpful if the manufacturer disclosed full change notes, but that isn't happening.

I would say that my FAQ isn't intentionally misleading - the idea is the help people understand it is not a temporary patch but rather a permanent change. I also point out the manufacturer has options they can take. That said I would never claim it's not possible to misinterpret my posts :)

Also let me be very clear - if the situation arises where this change is detected and updates are prevented, you can always undo it (I made sure of this when I designed the solution). You don't need to wait for me, so there is no scenario in which you are stuck unable to update.

It might be a good idea to just check forums when a new update comes out as I will try to test first as indicate any issues found (like I did with 5.2.0).

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dear All,
I am a European citizen who recently decided to purchase and install a surveilance system. Before my purchase I read a lot in the forums and became aware of the region coding issue and interface language with the HIK Vision cameras.

When I concluded my research, I investigated further the issue with a few specific official and non official distributors in Europe of HIK Vision, as I wanted to have the freedom to do future updates on my own but not loose the english language in the interface. All of the distributors and dealers I contacted, were not aware of the region coding issue. All they knew was that the HIK Vision cameras sold by them, have english menus. When I enquired the source of their stock, I got back all possible answers like "we source from anywhere in the world including china depending on the order characteristics like quantity, project value and competition".

So I gambled and purchased from a dealer who is not listed in the HIK Vision site. The camera I received had version 5.0.2 firmware, had the RR letters in the serial number and had many interface languages. When I upgraded the firmware to 5.1.6 (June version) with no problems and with no language mismatch or any other errors, I had only the English language menu and the letters in the serial number have been changed from RR to WR.

So what region is my camera targeted for before and after the firmware upgrade? Have I been mislead by the dealer by selling me a camera for the region "who knows what"? Will the dealer refuse me support since the serial number on the invoice is different from the serial number in the camera after the upgrade?

All i know is that I found in the HIK Vision US ftp site the firmware and used it by myself with no problems. I hope to be able to upgrade in the future versions with no problems as a legitimate owner of a HIK Vision product.

My conclusions:
1. I feel I have not been informed properly and officially by the manufacturer of the different cameras sold in the market and their limitations.
2. The HIK Vision firmware distribution policy and changes notifications do not follow commercial standards of software versions releases. Version 5.1.6 was released for a small period of time in the official US FTP site and them removed without any notification for the reason from the manufacturer. Additional HIK has not mentioned anything about this version in the later firmware versions like 5.2.0 about incompatibilities. Now if a future firmware complains about incompatibility with the 5.1.6 version, it will be HIK Vision's fault and not mine that I used 5.1.6.
3. Any delear or distributor (official or not) will source from anywhere in order to be competitive. You cannot stop grey market in anyway. Any manufacturer can only control the first level of selling. The only detterant to grey market is for the manufacturer to inform officially the consumers and end users of the differences of the product line and the limitations of each different model. If HIK Vision wants the camera 2CD2332 to be targeted for the western world (in general) and the camera 2CD3332 to be targeted for the chinese market they can do so BUT they have to say it in their web site publicly and officially. By not doing so essentially the original manufacturer encourages the grey market.
4. I purchased at a reasonable pricing knowing that in this price there is no financial margin for committed support from the dealer despite his allegations.
5. If I want to have proper support I must be prepared to accept a considerable support fee from the dealers. Therefore I consiously purchased fom a non official dealer because I wanted to be able to do my own support and secondly because I believe that they can not support me properly apart from handling "box moving" procedures. There is no free lunch. CBX properly has charged his work because he is spending a lot of his time supporting his customers (according to their postings).

Bottom line: There is no technical way to stop knowlegable people from hacking the manufacturer's attempt to control the sales of grey imports. A very typical example is Apple and Sony. All their technical attempts to control sales and usage, sooner or later have been hacked by skillful people. Besides, HIK Vision has a complete SDK kit and documentation in their site publicly, in order for programmers and resellers to enhance the functionality of the HIK products. If HIK does not want people to alter their product functionality, then they should not publish such development information.

As a consumer and user of HIKVision products, I would urge the manufacturer to sort out their acting with the public information support to the end users and not waste resources (technical or legal) to ban CBX like activities or to control and safeguard the official distributors reselling rights. CBX has provided very good advertisment services to HIK Vision for the benefits of the official ditributors and proved the capabilities of the underlying technical infrastructure of the HIK products.

Does HIK Vision provide any support like CBX does, to their official distributors ??
Can the official distributors provide equivalent support services as CBX does ?????

I would be very curious to hear the offiial distributors and the original HIK Vision manufacturer oppinion. Anybody reading this???

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don!
You wrote too much and no benefit from this, continuous blah, blah, blah.
Turn to finally useful.
Explore some useful question, decide it and describe in detail your research.

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don!
I read everything you write on the forum.
This is the best way to keep abreast of developments, but that you yourself are wasting their time scribbling useless texts.
Life is beautiful.
Turn to useful work! ;)

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LOL. I expect statements like this from you now, so no surprise. There are just "some" things you can't fix. So I won't waste my time trying in your case.

Don
Don!
Relax.
You have a lot written correctly and my friend CBX you agree to something, too.
Strongly do not worry.
The main focus on the case. I believe that all work must be appreciated and paid a private matter in what way to help.

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Suggestion:
Why not spend your time more positively?
A good start in heading in that direction. Might be by taking the time to change your websites Copyright statement to the year 2014 vs. leaving it as 2013 as it is now? Since it's already August 23, 2014 here in the U.S.?
More here: http://www.itunedvr.ru/
Bye for now.
Don
Don!
Thank for PR!
Pleace read news in the appropriate section on www.iTuneDVR.ru.
Copyright 2013, www.iTuneDVR.ru represents and shows to what period it started
My rights to the site, no one will take away, do not worry.

;)

iTuneDVR

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This then maybe helpful to you to explain the purpose of copyright statements. Which is not meant/intended to be used as a start date of a business itself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
Sigh. Yes, I must be getting older each day.
Don
Don!
Suggestion:
Bye for now.
Don
You already said good-bye! ;)

From the fact that there is now (c) 2013, the level of my studies and research did not decreased.
But thanks to that observed with such a nuance somewhere at the bottom of the page! ;)