5.4.9 - June 25, 2021

stev067

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5.4.9.7 is working fine for me. DS is working for detection.

I think Deepstack -1 means that Deepstack isn't running (or BI can't talk to it). You should be able to confirm this by clicking on the Test link on the AI configuration page.
Can confirm... I just enabled custom models, added dark to my cam, and manually triggered. Got a -1 error. Then went to general AI tab and saw "start now" button. I guess enabling the custom model stopped the server. Anyway I started DS up, and manually triggered again, and did not get the error.
Edit: Same seems to be true of enabling facial recognition. It also stops DS. You just have to go back in after saving, and start it back up. Not super complicated but it's good to know.
Edit 2: On the other hand, I am now getting error 100's from having facial recognition enabled. Haven't dug into that one yet.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Just tried .6 for me i still get no alerts being flagged but the clip is being recorded which I hadn’t noticed or spotted before.

Would the changes made for DS have an impact on alerts? Maybe I need to take another look at the settings, wondering if there’s something that needs to be changed but with 5.4.8.2 I do get the trigger event being flagged in the timeline , with any of the 5.4.9.x I don’t get anything being flagged.
It’s always sad and confusing when you have to quote your own post

I’m glad to report that my issues with 5.4.9.x were, drumroll …….. User error For my cams that would stop alerting I was using simple motion detection without any zones and it seems that I had the motion zone set incorrectly. I had motion zone b ticked but there must have been a change or I messed things up as with 5.4.9.x ticking zone a instead of b raises the alert I was expecting.

So with the latest release everything is working for me

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Latest release is unstable for me - restarting every 5-8 minutes. ONVIF triggers quit working. Rolling back hasn't fixed it:banghead:

It seems with the addition of DS that something is changing in how BI is computing motion and occasionally the change is sticking when rolling back. It is almost like it has a sequence it is following and if the cam isn't set up that way it skips something but doesn't error out?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj My system has been fine, after your post I checked the uptime so no restarts or crashes.

After my discovery this morning I went and checked era has every one of my cams to ensure that they were set as expected and that no other option that I don’t use were enabled.

I still need to check a few more of the options but with all the changes and new features of late I want to be double sure that my system is configured correctly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf - I have noticed some of the same issues you did about motion triggers and settings changing with updates, so I have been checking those since this was first reported when DS was first introduced. It is what leads me to think some issue that is changing these settings and what is causing issues for some of us.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can confirm... I just enabled custom models, added dark to my cam, and manually triggered. Got a -1 error. Then went to general AI tab and saw "start now" button. I guess enabling the custom model stopped the server. Anyway I started DS up, and manually triggered again, and did not get the error.
Edit: Same seems to be true of enabling facial recognition. It also stops DS. You just have to go back in after saving, and start it back up. Not super complicated but it's good to know.
Edit 2: On the other hand, I am now getting error 100's from having facial recognition enabled. Haven't dug into that one yet.
For me dark.pt was causing error 100s (haven't enabled facial recognition in a while). Still running dark.pt and haven't seen any 100s since .7. Am also using medium mode versus high.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I just tried dark.pt again and made sure DS was actually running. 170 errors right out of the box. Back to the stock model.

n3wb
Reaction score
Did not get around to reinstalling last night but got the normal number of IDs on the downgraded to 5.4.8.2 server so I'll let it set. Going to add a couple of cams to the 5.4.9.6 server to see if I can dup the issue over there and hopefully sort what option / setting is causing the issue.

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using GPU Windows DS

I was getting alot of those DS 100/170 errors also so I uninstalled DS and completely deleted the DS folder and then re-installed, now it has been working fine. I did this somewhere in the middle of the 5.8 revisions of BI. Also as stated click 'stop' the 'start' in the AI menu stopped the DS -1 errors.

I am using dark on one clone camera, only at night, otherwise just stock objects.

I found cloning a camera with one clone looking for cars and the other clone looking for people helped my accuracy alot. Before it would see a car and trigger and then miss a person that came soon after the car.

IMO 'break time re-trigger' needs to re-trigger the AI looking again as well as continued recording

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO 'break time re-trigger' needs to re-trigger the AI looking again as well as continued recording
Can you elaborate on this please? Not sure I follow "break time re-trigger needs to re-trigger the AI looking again." Do you mean by setting a short break time will give a longer trigger another opportunity for a second deepstack analysis?

Also, are you using High, Med, or Low mode?

JL-F1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using 'high'

Let's say my break time is 10 secs"
What happens for me is a car will drive by, then during the 'break time' the wind will blow and re- trigger or a person will walk by and re-trigger within 10 secs. I will now have a 20+sec clip where only the first part was analyzed by DS, car found 2 secs in, then DS looks at the clip no more, but 15 secs into the clip a person shows up.

If I could choose: 'max clip length 10 secs' then start a new clip if triggered again, or if any time during the 'break time' if BI was re-triggered it would also activate DS to look for objects again, I wouldn't have clips that say 'car' but 20+ secs in a person walks by and I have no event showing person

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am using 'high'

Let's say my break time is 10 secs"
What happens for me is a car will drive by, then during the 'break time' the wind will blow and re- trigger or a person will walk by and re-trigger within 10 secs. I will now have a 20+sec clip where only the first part was analyzed by DS, car found 2 secs in, then DS looks at the clip no more, but 15 secs into the clip a person shows up.

If I could choose: 'max clip length 10 secs' then start a new clip if triggered again, or if any time during the 'break time' if BI was re-triggered it would also activate DS to look for objects again, I wouldn't have clips that say 'car' but 20+ secs in a person walks by and I have no event showing person
Ah, I see now, you're suggesting a feature that isn't currently available. I wonder if checking 'Not required for re-triggers' in the Object Detection/Zones might do this. Regardless, it's a good idea; have you reached out to support?

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The last couple of versions have been giving me a lot of theses....

DeepStack: Server error 100
DeepStack: Alert cancelled (DeepStack: 100)
DeepStack has been restarted

DeepStack: Server error -1
DeepStack: Alert cancelled (DeepStack: -1)

I took the custom models out and I believe the -1 stopped but still get the 100.

v8star

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys: last week i definetly gave up with 5.4.9.x: bi crashed many times with a profile with DS enabled (and -1 DS errors). Back to 5.4.8.2 and now is very stable: only a virtual memory* warning when i edited a pair of cam but after restarting service not errors at all in the last two days. DS running smooth and with night profile now i don't missing nothing with higher brightness directly in cam night profile, neither with a car with headlights on.

Last edited: