5.7.5 - April 20, 2023 - Onvif updates

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@kbgator Use IVS with person/vehicle detection for best results (no false alarms). I disable all other ONVIF events including motion and SMD.

You have to add the rules manually for those with custom naming. When an IVS event happen, click the icon to load the XML. That will give you an idea of what to specify for a new rule. (You can also examine out-of-the-box IVS rules to give you an idea of the proper syntax.)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While this update now allows the ability to see all the triggers BI is receiving from a camera, it is not check-box ready yet, but if you have the time, this thread outlines how someone went about deciphering the triggers to use for spotter cams.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Related to the info you shared above Mike, just in case people do not know, for Dahau cameras that have recent firmware, you can rename each IVS rule to whatever you want. See screenshot for an illustration of how I named my IVS rules:View attachment 174595

The above is example for cam with web 5.0 but I can do this for 5442 with web 3.x as well.

You can then use your appropriately named IVS rules to distinguish the rules in BI5 ONVIF screen, and the "action" can be different for each rule:View attachment 174596
can you drill into and screenshot one of those intrusion rules @actran, so I can see the syntax?
It looks like you can use this to confirm person or vehicle as an Action

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@kbgator This screenshot is a IVS intrusion rule named "Other Sidewalk". I limited AI detection to person so action is set appropriately. It's very reliable, meaning no false alarms.

View attachment 174638
Perfect. You are the best!
When the action is "Confirmed Person" does that also Trigger the Camera + follow the normal Alert and Record Rules for that camera

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, I now have 5 rules setup from ONVIF Alerts:

1697157014273.png

But how do I send an Alert Notification (ios alert in app) for only one of those events, for only "Front Door Person"?
In the Alert rules I don't think I can pass any parameters to just alert on this IVS rule. Here:

1697157159724.png

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, you may need to send an enhancement request to Blue Iris support to adress your situation.

P.S. I don't do alerting in BI5. I send all BI5 events to Home Assistant via MQTT. Home Assistant has automation where I can define the condition logic that would trigger 1 or more actions. One of those actions can be a notification to my iphone.

Last edited:

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, you may need to send an enhancement request to Blue Iris support to adress your situation.

P.S. I don't do alerting in BI5. I send all BI5 events to Home Assistant via MQTT. Home Assistant has automation where I can define the condition logic that would trigger 1 or more actions. One of those actions can be a notification to my iphone.
that's an interesting setup. I use HA with NodeRed automations. Can HA send you an alert with the photo like the BI App alerts does? Is it instant or delayed?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My experience with Home Assistant notification is that it's pretty quick. If you do a search on Home Assistant forums, you will find some threads on BI5 alert topic.

Scoobs72

n3wb
Reaction score
that's an interesting setup. I use HA with NodeRed automations. Can HA send you an alert with the photo like the BI App alerts does? Is it instant or delayed?
Yes, you can set an action on Alert within BI to FTP the image to Home Assistant (for which you need to use a FTP server addon in HA), then use a folder watcher in Node Red to grab the image and sent it via whatever alert method you want. I've used this method and it's quick.

Daniel15

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found it easier to use Node-RED than Home Assistant for camera notifications. My flow is pretty basic but you could do different things depending on the camera.

This is how my MQTT payload is configured in Blue Iris:
Topic: BlueIris/&CAM/alert-image-b64
Payload:
JSON:
{"id":"&ALERT_DB","object":"&MEMO","camera":"&CAM","name":"&NAME","json":&JSON,"img":"&ALERT_JPEG"}
The "Memo/label" for my ONVIF events are all set to {EVENT} because I care most about the AI-detected objects, and they were getting truncated with the default memo setting since it includes the full ONVIF event name at the start. You could have it differ per ONVIF event if you want to handle different events differently.

Node-RED flow:

Screenshot 2023-10-13 114412.png
("test" is just a copy-paste of an MQTT payload so I can test it without having to move in front of the camera)

The most interesting part is the function that handles most of the logic:

Here's the full JSON for the flow:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
To add to @actran 's great info above re naming IVS rules, looking at it in another thread it seems that for the older cams while you can't rename them, you can use the IVS rule number to distinguish triggers/ONVIF events. Useful, for example, to distinguish events if you have a spotter cam with several different IVS rules for different areas, person vs vehicle, etc., You then can pick up which rule triggered (as above) by using IVS-1, IVS-2, IVS-3, etc., as the "Contains" string and then conditionally trigger whatever action in BI based on that (e.g., move a PTZ to a certain preset).

Unfortunately, whether named or using rule number, we're still stuck with using a bunch of different clones to implement different conditional actions like moving to different presets or conditional alerts as in @kbgator 's case. Would be nice if Ken had some way to do those types of conditional actions. I suppose you probably could pass things out to HA or similar and then back into BI or to the cam directly but that's a long way around.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Anyone else have the "Events Subscription 8000ffff" errors pop back up again the in the BI log? Just had this happened today. Haven't updated BI in over a month and IVS notifications were working fine yesterday. Literally nothing changed on my end. None of my IVS cameras are now sending alerts to BI and my log is full of the 8000ffff error messages.

Edit: Disabling "ONVIF Authentication" fixes it but why? IVS has been working flawlessly for months but all of a sudden the only two cameras I use for IVS both start showing 8000fff errors in the log at the same time/day and nothing changed on my end at all? That doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not seeing the error. But I'm still back on 5.7.8.3 and I think that I have authentication turned off on at least one of my cams already. None from the rest where I use IVS/ONVIF and have it on.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Not seeing the error. But I'm still back on 5.7.8.3 and I think that I have authentication turned off on at least one of my cams already. None from the rest where I use IVS/ONVIF and have it on.
I'm on his latest stable which has a September date stamp. Can't remember the version number off the top of my head. Very weird that IVS on both cameras out of the blue would stop working at the same day/time. I'll email Ken today.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm on his latest stable which has a September date stamp. Can't remember the version number off the top of my head. Very weird that IVS on both cameras out of the blue would stop working at the same day/time. I'll email Ken today.
Just my newest PTZ cam did the same thing. And I could not roll back as it would not fix the error. I like you just disabled onvif authentication. I did not email Ken about it as I thought it was my cam, but yes it did start right after .13 update.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Anyone else have the "Events Subscription 8000ffff" errors pop back up again the in the BI log? Just had this happened today. Haven't updated BI in over a month and IVS notifications were working fine yesterday. Literally nothing changed on my end. None of my IVS cameras are now sending alerts to BI and my log is full of the 8000ffff error messages.

Edit: Disabling "ONVIF Authentication" fixes it but why? IVS has been working flawlessly for months but all of a sudden the only two cameras I use for IVS both start showing 8000fff errors in the log at the same time/day and nothing changed on my end at all? That doesn't make any sense.
I'm beta-testing 5.8.0.14 and also seeing 10's of thousands of these errors in my logfile - for a single camera, an Amcrest IP2M-841W. I have 3, but this the only one reporting errors.

After checking it's video config settings I noticed it had the setting 'Get ONVIF triggers events' checked. The other 2 Amcrest cameras did not. I unchecked the setting and the GetEvents error went away on the General tab.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm beta-testing 5.8.0.14 and also seeing 10's of thousands of these errors in my logfile - for a single camera, an Amcrest IP2M-841W. I have 3, but this the only one reporting errors.

After checking it's video config settings I noticed it had the setting 'Get ONVIF triggers events' checked. The other 2 Amcrest cameras did not. I unchecked the setting and the GetEvents error went away on the General tab.
But unchecking "Get ONVIF trigger events" now means the camera isn't doing the motion detecting and sending to BI - that is ok if that isn't how you have it set up, but what about those that use the camera on-board AI to do the triggering?