5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Don't expect them to improve anything unless you report it. If I were you I would send a message to Longse about this. The more of us bug them the more likely they will consider improvements

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad you like it @smiticans! Yeah the S500 IMX178 sensor really kicks butt, I really wanted to mess around with off-board IR but just didn't have time. I remember when I plugged it in, my totally uninitiated wife remarked at how sharp the image was. I had it running into BI for a few days and didn't have any issues or drop-outs. Had it powered on a 802.3at switch ...because 'merica.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'm tempted to buy another one to cover the entrance to my driveway. Unfortunately, I need a 6mm or 8mm lens for that location. I saw the mini bullet version had a 6mm lens, but I'm going to have to check it out.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@smiticans - try messing with offboard IR. I took my mini PTZ, maxed out the far LEDs and then took them for a spin onto the scene of the S500 to see what would happen. Sure enough, even far away stuff (for a 3.6mm lens) became significantly clearer. Here's a video that illustrates the idea:

The vertical striations you see is because the PTZ is shooting through a railing/bannister. It's a bit of a hack, but I totally think offboard IR with the S500 is a path worth walking down, I just don't have the time to do it right now. :(

Reaction score
@smiticans - try messing with offboard IR. I took my mini PTZ, maxed out the far LEDs and then took them for a spin onto the scene of the S500 to see what would happen. Sure enough, even far away stuff (for a 3.6mm lens) became significantly clearer. Here's a video that illustrates the idea:

The vertical striations you see is because the PTZ is shooting through a railing/bannister. It's a bit of a hack, but I totally think offboard IR with the S500 is a path worth walking down, I just don't have the time to do it right now. :(
Yeah I'll have to try that. I'm considering getting the Imporx V2, but that probably won't be until next month

Eustace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello.

My first camera was a ACTI E77 and that sucked! Looking for new direction including recording software. Would like to try Klasipca suggestion on the Longse brand and his pick, Huisun Mini PTZ. I don't think the ACTI software will work with these cameras. Do you guys suggest getting B.I.? I would like to run the ACTI camera along with these?
Purchasing suggestions for cameras and software?

Thanks...
Eustace

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hello.

My first camera was a ACTI E77 and that sucked! Looking for new direction including recording software. Would like to try Klasipca suggestion on the Longse brand and his pick, Huisun Mini PTZ. I don't think the ACTI software will work with these cameras. Do you guys suggest getting B.I.? I would like to run the ACTI camera along with these?
Purchasing suggestions for cameras and software?

Thanks...
Eustace

Does ACTI software support ONVIF cameras? BI is a good option and quite popular here, but it's not free.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am first time installer of cameras, and after reading this thread I have ordered this camera: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vandalproof-IP-Camera-Varifocal-POE-Dome-Lens-2-8-12mm-5MP-Full-HD-IMX178-Hi3516A-solution/32579514832.html

I am installing it at my Church, so I will use a NVR. Which one do you experienced users recommend. Thanks
I am using Hikvision the one in my signature, it works great with it, but I did not try any other NVR, although it should work fine with any of them as long as it supports ONVIF. Let us know how it goes with the cam. I wish they would add microphone as an option as it looks like there is an audio setting available.

lovedgor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using Hikvision the one in my signature, it works great with it, but I did not try any other NVR, although it should work fine with any of them as long as it supports ONVIF. Let us know how it goes with the cam. I wish they would add microphone as an option as it looks like there is an audio setting available.
Thanks Klasipca. That was what I was thinking.. I will be adding a few more cams after I get it up and running.

dtamle

n3wb
Reaction score
sorry I couldn't figure out but does s500 have a slot for microSD?
thanks

dtamle

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, at least turret I have is a sealed unit
right now I have no NVR, all 3 of my cams has local storage (microSD) and connected to a POE switch.
I plan to get an in-expensive (<$200) NVR; will this DS-7104NI-SL/W work? or you have a better recommendation?
thanks

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
right now I have no NVR, all 3 of my cams has local storage (microSD) and connected to a POE switch.
I plan to get an in-expensive (<$200) NVR; will this DS-7104NI-SL/W work? or you have a better recommendation?
thanks
It's difficult for me to recommend something that I don't own. Also, 7608 is my first Nvr so I am quite new with NVRs , but as I recall the 71xx series don't support Huisun PTZ controls in case you decide to get one of these.

Eustace

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Klasipca, I think my current program does support that type of camera. NVR3 is the program that came with the ACTI camera..
Who should I order the Longse camera from? Huisun bullet? B.I. works with these cameras? It can be viewed on a smart phone?

Thx

Eustace

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Klasipca, I think my current program does support that type of camera. NVR3 is the program that came with the ACTI camera..
Who should I order the Longse camera from? Huisun bullet? B.I. works with these cameras? It can be viewed on a smart phone?

Thx

Eustace
You can order from the link in the first post, they have number of different options for XXXXs500 cam with IMX178. You can view it on a smartphone app as long as it supports ONVIF. I am using it on Android with Tiny Cam Pro, as well as with Hikvision IVMS4500 (if you are planning to get NVR)