5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might not be, or a spec issue, for me it's not important since all my cams are mounted under eaves. Although this one, same exact sensor, does have IP66 rating http://www.longse.com/Info/View_pro.asp?id=901
Thanks for that. I have some turrets under eaves and some very exposed to the weather, and where I could see this being most useful is in an exposed position. Turret would be preferable, so I'll be interested to see what you reckon when you get yours.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
So far it's all quiet with the shipping and I am gone next two weeks, hopefully when I am back it will be delivered by then

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Just arrived from sunny Cancun back to rainy Seattle and only had a chance to open the box to look at the contents . So far the packaging and the unit look impressive, all metal and feels very much like Hik turret . Specs state it's a 3.6mm with 0.001 lux in b&w... That white box on the wiring says "POE". I would have preferred it to be internal. More tomorrow, too tired to do anything else

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Short sleep today... Hooked up camera, very easy setup surprisingly and I was WOW'd by the night time picture. I won't post anything yet, because I want to post comparison with Hikvision, but it's damn beautiful. I could see specks of dust in the air in a completely dark room and not a hint of noise without even touching and looking at the settings yet.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shame the turret isnt IP rated for outdoor use. As soon as you give the green light on BI I'm picking a 3.6mm bullet up for quals. Thanks for being the guinea pig @klasipca!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Patience, I will get to pictures! :)

It does work fine in Hikvision NVR using regular ONVIF profile, nothing out of the ordinary here, so I would think that BI should do fine as well with Onvif.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am a bit busy this morning and there is so much to explore in this cam so I am just throwing few comparison images just to get a taste of this. I am using 2432 because I can't use direct comparison for either dome 4mp or turret 3mp without taking them down. I did really sloppy job setting both cams to somewhat similar setting. They are using CBR 6000 Bit rate, Hik is set to 1/12 because it doesn't have 1/25 which is a minimum for S500 cam.

A few observations:
1. Install is easy. Plug in the cam to POE. Navigate to 192.168.1.168, install OSX and login with admin/admin.
2. Login screen defaults to Chinese language, have to use the drop down every time to change to English. Perhaps there is a setting to make it stick since the demo is in English
3. The IR lights do no turn off even if you disable IR cut filter, although there is no explicit setting on that, they call it something else. More on that later.
4. I am using auto noise reduction setting and I had to bump up sharpness a bit. There is no ghosting or noise that I noticed using auto noise reduction.
5. Capture didn't work in the UI, might be a bug. I just took screenshots of the images and saved them in 1080p format, so quality is reduced.
6. Works with Hikvision NVR using Onvif profile

2432 using it's own IR only

2432 using it's own IR + 2 additional IRs from the S500 cam

Finally this is S500 in a completely dark room as well

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I can see them on my phone and tablet. Can you right click on image icon and copy url?

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm following this with great interest thanks klaspica! I have one of the bullet versions on order (yet to ship...), based on your initial pics and opinion it's looking good.

I'll hold of bugging you with questions until you've had a chance to spend more time with it... :)

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@atom - did you get a 3.6mm version? I'm trying to get it in bullet form because the turret isnt ip rated (if I'm not mistaken?)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Playing a bit with it. IQ is great and beats any budget Hikvision 4MP day or night. Firmware and UI is crude and limited though, but I knew that:

1. In order to change admin password you will need to fill out the name and password at the top row
2. There is no RTSP port listed anywhere, they said it's combined with HTTP port
3. Motion detection appears to work when sending message/jpeg pictures (which btw are square and low quality with no control over it) via gmail account
4. You can select region in motion detection which is nice touch unlike Huisun
5. Capture button does not work. I have it set to default path and even created folder 'Capture', but I get error 'Capture Failed'
6. Record button does something... or maybe nothing, didn't work for me either.
7. Corridor mode is available
8. I-frame interval lists only 1-5 seconds, not sure if it will be a big deal
9. There is secondary stream, but you can't select it in the web ui, probably just for onvif usage
10. Firmware for mine 5.1.45.3. Which is not listed here, so I am assuming it's the latest one http://www.herospeed.net/herospeed/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=7

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The IR led's look really good and flood the room well but it's hard to understand the true low light capability with a well lit room (IR lit).

Are you able to block off the IR (ie. tape over the IR's) and put on a lamp in an adjacent room to create a low light scene.

Looking forward to seeing a video with motion so I can better see how it performs in low light.

PS. I have just ordered the SMTSEC dome and interestingly, the supplier says the 4mm lense on that provides a 101 degree FOV. I guess we'll see! Will be a few weeks but I'll post a review wen i get it in my other thread

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@atom - did you get a 3.6mm version? I'm trying to get it in bullet form because the turret isnt ip rated (if I'm not mistaken?)
No I didn't, but they did offer me the choice. Approx 60° was about right for where I'm going to use it so I stuck with the 5mm. POE was $8 extra. I needed the IP rating too, shame the turret doesn't have it.

They've been good to deal with so far, but as I say, it hasn't even shipped yet.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3752-Hisilicon-Hi3516A-1-1-8-SONY-IMX178-Real-Time-5MP-Infrared-Onvif-Network-H/32430908046.html

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It will, there is rtsp streaming over port 554. The problem though when you change default http port 80 onvif streaming no longer works. At least in Tiny Cam Viewer Pro.

riceandbeans

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hope this doesn't mean it won't work with BI...
I'm not a networking whiz, but I think I may be able to do some routing and VLAN magic to get the same client port on multiple clients to talk to different server ports on the same server. Good news is when I buy one, if we have an issue, we'll be in the same boat and can maybe put our heads together on a solution.