5 MegaGixel 1/1.8" low light destroyer for $90-AVOID LONGSE JUNK

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It has to be good in low light and not just the IR, that's the whole point of the 1/1.8" sensor.

Btw here's a night video with movement
Eek. That is nasty huh:sad2: Massive motion blur.
Hopefully that's because it was transcoded into 1080. REALLY want to see a native res. capture like the one I posted over here for the same sensor/processor.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7170-SMTSEC-5MP-Low-LIght-1-2-quot-Sony-IMX178-Dome/page2

Click to download sample --->View attachment 5.0mp H.265 2.rar

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully that's because it was transcoded into 1080. REALLY want to see a native res. capture like the one I posted over here for the same sensor/processor.
https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/7170-SMTSEC-5MP-Low-LIght-1-2-quot-Sony-IMX178-Dome/page2

SMTSEC-5MP-Low-LIght-1-2-quot-Sony-IMX178-Dome View attachment 7131
That is less motion blur than you would see on a hik or dahua camera...if you are expecting a perfect image at 150 forget it...

tomw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not perfect, but it needs to be usable. That image is not usable and would prob. be much better from a 2mp cam.

Still have yet to see any native/full res. night vids...so i hope the actual images are way better or this should not be called a low light cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not perfect, but it needs to be usable. That image is not usable and would prob. be much better from a 2mp cam.

Still have yet to see any native/full res. night vids...so i hope the actual images are way better or this should not be called a low light cam.
its 100 percent usable-you dont need the ability to read the advertising on plates on the bus on a wide view shot like that, you will have the same issue at night with a fast moving bus on a 2mp camera......The low light image is superb compared to the other cameras on the market.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully that's because it was transcoded into 1080.
Eh? How would that give motion blur?

Looking at the video - I have to say I'm impressed by both the day and the night segments, much better than we see for the Hikvision new range that's a big topic here.
"That is nasty huh:sad2: Massive motion blur" in my opinion is not a fair description.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't call this a perfect camera for night vision, it still needs some source of light, but it certainly raises the bar against Hikvision 4MP.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Better than Hikvision...yes...but how much better? The sample size we have seen is too small to make any definitive conclusions IMO...please post more night images if possible please.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry, been busy with family activities, I will post more on comparison a bit later

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
moved to front

Last edited by a moderator:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please confirm again: for your last post (post #93) the Hikvision camera is the TOP image?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Please confirm again: for your last post (post #93) the Hikvision camera is the TOP image?
Yes, note the format of the picture one is 16:9 (wide) the other is 3:2 (square for s500)

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Frankly, this camera has a good potential, but I am not really as excited about it anymore like I am with Huisun. It just can't compete with having PTZ function for same price and Huisun has more stable firmware. S500 image quality is great and very good for night time. You will be surprised how good it can be with a little more light in the area unlike in my case, but so many bugs will leave you frustrated. I've reset the camera multiple times because image becomes over processed. It works fine if you reset it and don't mess with image controls. Anyway thumbs down from me on this. On the positive note, they seem to be releasing firmware updates frequently, so I will be definitely looking forward to updates.
Thanks for the info and images klasipca.

The one I have on order I plan to use in a spot which has heaps of additional IR lighting so hopefully it will be OK.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it would depend on a persons needs. The huisin ptz has its advantages but also some disadvantages.

2mp vs 5mp
Bulkier design
More expensive

I'd still say this is the best dome you can get if you just want a compact soffit cam which will provide usable night images.

Could the image issue be caused by nvr compatibility issue? How is the camera at default settings?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and images klasipca.

The one I have on order I plan to use in a spot which has heaps of additional IR lighting so hopefully it will be OK.
It will be fine, it's enough for me to replace my overall camera which was Hikvision 4MP dome, but I will not be ordering more of them. I am anxiously waiting for 2nd gen Huisun.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it would depend on a persons needs. The huisin ptz has its advantages but also some disadvantages.

2mp vs 5mp
Bulkier design
More expensive

I'd still say this is the best dome you can get if you just want a compact soffit cam which will provide usable night images.

Could the image issue be caused by nvr compatibility issue? How is the camera at default settings?
NVR has nothing to do with it since I making changes in the camera UI, I did disconnect from NVR though for now. Also, earlier today I noticed the camera started to flicker every 5 seconds and turn on/off IR during daylight. I thought that it developed a hardware issue because resetting the camera didn't fix it. So as a last resort I reloaded latest firmware and the issue appears to be gone and even IQ improved, but I will keep monitoring this. As I suspected messing with image settings too much will screw up something that reset doesn't fix and requires firmware reload. I will leave the camera as it is for a few days and see how it does. If you do end up buying this camera careful with DNR, AE, WDR, sharpness settings, once you make the changes you might not be able to get back to optimal image quality.

I will upload another image once it gets dark with those default settings mostly.