"6 months of free recording"

eyeon

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at a 4 camera unit today at Menards for $250. Almost pulled the trigger on it until I saw a little "feature" they mentioned: 6 months free recording!

huh? i think it said it came with a 1Tb drive. soooo.... why in the world is this a thing? some kind of 'cloud' nonsense i imagine? can't i just manage my own files/drive myself?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at a 4 camera unit today at Menards for $250. Almost pulled the trigger on it until I saw a little "feature" they mentioned: 6 months free recording!

huh? i think it said it came with a 1Tb drive. soooo.... why in the world is this a thing? some kind of 'cloud' nonsense i imagine? can't i just manage my own files/drive myself?
You did not include a link or any specific make/model info, so I would say "yes" it's likely a cloud feature. You scan a QR code with your phone (not a great idea) and it employs P2P to access a server, probably in China.

Again, I personally can't say if it is ONVIF compatible, has an accessible RTSP stream, etc. If the cam-to-NVR connection is wireless even that could be proprietary..

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
start with one variable focuses camera, this will help you pick your camera locations and the type of lens needed.

From my normal welcome message.

2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement at night have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them ?

IPC-HDW5442t-ZE Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 4 MP Starlight

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Most "kits" will disappoint you. And the one you were looking at is wireless to boot, that's more aggravation.
Start here: Cliff Notes.