Access 10.x.x.x subnet from 192.x.x.x

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't really think that's what needs to be done or is the problem. That would mean your NVR needs another direct LAN connection from the 10.x.x.x NIC to an interface on the router. The router can't magically route to a 10.x.x.x address when it isn't physically connected to that subnet.

Have you tried using the 192.x.x.x IP in place of the 10.x.x.x in the full URL? The point of that "E" icon is to allow you to directly connect to the cameras which are on the NVR subnet while you are on the 192.x.x.x subnet. The NVR is acting like the router in that situation.
My cameras are not on the 192 subnet so what URL should I be using, the NVR? The NVR IP is 192.168.1.254 and when I enter that in, the NVR page comes up as it should, so not sure what you mean by using the 192 address for the cameras?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My cameras are not on the 192 subnet so what URL should I be using, the NVR? The NVR IP is 192.168.1.254 and when I enter that in, the NVR page comes up as it should, so not sure what you mean by using the 192 address for the cameras?
Use the IP of your NVR. For example, if you hover your mouse over the "E" and the URL is , take that url and change it to or whatever it is and paste or type it into IE and see if it works.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Gotcha. That's not what we want. Behind that there's a direct URL that gets you to the cameras. I still think the issue is the NVR's way of translating clicking on that "E" to get you to the cameras.
if I type in 10.1.1.3 (address of the camera) I can get to it — but only if connected via LAN cable.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you want two subnets? Can't this all be one flat subnet? I don't have one of those NVRs but I'd imagine it be a hell of a lot easier to have it all on one subnet.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you want two subnets? Can't this all be one flat subnet? I don't have one of those NVRs but I'd imagine it be a hell of a lot easier to have it all on one subnet.
For reasons of - bandwidth isolation and security.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
For reasons of - bandwidth isolation and security.
Do those NVRs actually route? Again, I don't have one, but it would have to have some type of layer 3 device in it in order to bridge subnets.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do those NVRs actually route? Again, I don't have one, but it would have to have some type of layer 3 device in it in order to bridge subnets.
Would a managed switch achieve that?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Would a managed switch achieve that?
A managed switch would allow you to tag ports on the switch with VLAN number(s). So ports 1 - 5 that have trusted LAN devices assign those ports to VLAN 2 and then ports 6 - 10 that have cameras assign those ports to VLAN 3. Then upstream at the router, you setup two different subnets with one subnet in VLAN 2 and the other subnet in VLAN3 and set the appropriate access rules you want to allow intervlan routing.

The problem is this can get a bit complicated if you are coming out this from limited networking experience.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A managed switch would allow you to tag ports on the switch with VLAN number(s). Then upstream at the router, you setup two different subnets each with a those VLANs and set the appropriate access rules you want to allow intervlan routing.

The problem is this can get a bit complicated if you are coming out this from limited networking experience.
Yeah that’s a little beyond my comprehension. Just wondering why I can’t setup a static route on the router

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is standard of Dahua and many other NVRs. The NVR essentially acts as the device to manage two NICs. One NIC is for the internet port and the other is for the cameras and standard is the 10.1.1.X range that most people do not change.

@bigredfish is a big Dahua NVR user and can probably add more guidance.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Adding the 10.x.x.x subnet to the IP config of your laptop might help but I kind of doubt it. Easy to try though.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is the model number of the NVR. What are model number of the cameras. What is the frame rate of the cameras.
You may be overloading the NVR,

Also provide a network diagram with all the IPs defined.

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
what is the model number of the NVR. What are model number of the cameras. What is the frame rate of the cameras.
You may be overloading the NVR,

Also provide a network diagram with all the IPs defined.
Can assure you it’s not a network overload. I have only one IPC connected and the NVR is only using 4mbps (326/330mbps).

Camera is a 4MP Hikvision @ 25fps and it’s a Dahua 5208 NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So first off, the NVR us acting exactly as designed . It puts the cameras on a 10.1.1.x subnet that can’t be reached no matter what you do* without first connecting to the NVR and then using the IE link to reach the cameras. Built in security.

*You can connect your laptop to a port on the NVR and reach the cameras via 10.1.1.x as the laptop will get assigned an address on that subnet as well.

Show me a screen cap of the registration page of the NVR. Are the cameras using port 1,2,3 etc or 37777? If they are using 37777 you will see the problem you are describing. Usually this is because they were manually added vs allowing the NVR to find the camera and connect automatically.

I’ve not run HiK cams on my Dahua NVRs so not certain how they react to the NVR ports

whobutni

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So first off, the NVR us acting exactly as designed . It puts the cameras on a 10.1.1.x subnet that can’t be reached no matter what you do* without first connecting to the NVR and then using the IE link to reach the cameras. Built in security.

*You can connect your laptop to a port on the NVR and reach the cameras via 10.1.1.x as the laptop will get assigned an address on that subnet as well.

Show me a screen cap of the registration page of the NVR. Are the cameras using port 1,2,3 etc or 37777? If they are using 37777 you will see the problem you are describing. Usually this is because they were manually added vs allowing the NVR to find the camera and connect automatically.

I’ve not run HiK cams on my Dahua NVRs so not certain how they react to the NVR ports
yes the cameras were added manually because they are not the same brand as the NVR and are connected via ONVIF.

the cameras are connected through port 80 (not 1, 2, 3 or 37777).

screenshots attached.

Attachments

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another method to use camera Web UI:
Use a switch to connect your cameras to the same LAN that your NVR is connected to. Then add the cameras to NVR using Manual Add. Then you can use the camera Web UI without the NVR being involved. See Description section in