add PoE camera with powerline adapter

Quang Vo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Laview NVR set up. Ethernet port of NVR is connected to a powerline adapter. Everything works fine. I want to put another camera in the garage. The NVR is on the 2nd floor. I don't want to run Cat5 cable from garage to the 2nd floor. I thought that I could plug the camera into an powerline adapter and have the NVR recognize the camera. However, I tried 2 adapters (that works for Roku) and it seem to not recognize the camera because the network lights aren't on. I'm I doing something wrong or would I require a PoE switch? The 2 adapters that I tried are: Zyxel PLA-401 and PLA-407. TIA.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Laview NVR set up. Ethernet port of NVR is connected to a powerline adapter. Everything works fine. I want to put another camera in the garage. The NVR is on the 2nd floor. I don't want to run Cat5 cable from garage to the 2nd floor. I thought that I could plug the camera into an powerline adapter and have the NVR recognize the camera. However, I tried 2 adapters (that works for Roku) and it seem to not recognize the camera because the network lights aren't on. I'm I doing something wrong or would I require a PoE switch? The 2 adapters that I tried are: Zyxel PLA-401 and PLA-407. TIA.
Welcome Quang Vo,

Power line adapters only do normal ethernet - that is only data communication is occurring on the ethernet port of the powerline adapter. You would need to inject power into the PoE cameras somehow.

Quang Vo

n3wb
Reaction score
What is another option? Can I install a PoE switch in the garage, connect that to the network with a powerline adapter and connect the camera to the switch? What about a PoE injector.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is another option? Can I install a PoE switch in the garage, connect that to the network with a powerline adapter and connect the camera to the switch? What about a PoE injector.
HI Quang,

Yes you can extend the network with a PoE switch.

Thankfully due to IP tech you can do various things like that - note it does start to get more complex when you no longer plug the cameras straight into the NVR - and that's fine - just will take some more time for DIY learning.

Do search this forum, as there is a lot of good information being shared here which may be helpful.

If you are looking for a guide take a look here to start:
Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs