Advantages of a NVR Vs. Blue Iris and a PC?

Reaction score
Considering that, do you think this will work for BI? I need to know if the processor will be enough to handle 10 to 15 ip cameras.

Thanks for your help

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't include the link :

I'm considering this for BI:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSGGJ27/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515787856&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Xcy+core+i7&dpPl=1&dpID=51fpjP3oKTL&ref=plSrch

Do you think the processor will be able to handle 10 to 15 ip cameras? Regarding disk space I can handle it with my NAS for backup purposes.

Thanks
Why? you can buy a pc with a more powerful processor for 100-125....you can buy a modern i5 sixth gen machine for about 300...
this unit will not save you power...it is always best to record locally...you can backup to nas as well if you wish....

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I already have a Core i7 desktop, 16Gb Ram, SSD 128GB and a GTX660 graphic card. I did install BI and runs so smoothly, but it's using 100-110 watts (measured by kill-a-watt meter). So, I was hoping that unit (small Xcy computer) can help me save power, considering it only needs 25 watts or less (according to specs).

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hold up... I assumed that as long as a PC and NVR are on the same router, Blue Iris was capable of streaming recordings resident on an NVR, and displaying live cameras connected directly to that NVR. This thread implies that's not possible?

(I just got my Dahua NVR and cameras working, but haven't downloaded Blue Iris yet.)

The only reason I assumed this, is the Reolink system I just returned could do it. Overall their system and software sucked, but it did it all pretty seamlessly and was easy to set up, so I just figured this was common.

This is ideal for me because the PC can be shut down without interfering with the camera system, email alerts etc, but the PC-resident software was the best way to access and change everything after initial setup.

Now I'm also nervous that maybe my NVR may "hide" the cameras from my PC for live viewing. Please don't tell me Reolink can do something that a system including a Dahua NVR and Blue Iris on a PC can't do.

???

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hold up... I assumed that as long as a PC and NVR are on the same router, Blue Iris was capable of streaming recordings resident on an NVR, and displaying live cameras connected directly to that NVR. This thread implies that's not possible?
Am I missing something? Where did you read something in this thread that says you cannot "see" cams with BI that are connected to an NVR?

Check this thread from Friday with clarifications on 'how to' by @fenderman ==>> here.

BTW, I found the above and more by performing a search for "stream NVR to Blue Iris".

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, this thread itself, its title and topic, seemed to imply you could only have one or the other. (It doesn't directly state it but it sounded that way.)

Also in the thread to which you just linked, fenderman says "you will not be able to connect to the cameras directly if they are connected to the nvr". I still don't understand what that means, but I had seen similar phrasing in another thread, although I can't find it now. I seem to recall something about built-in PoE being the problem vs a PoE switch. At first when I read that I blew it off as a misunderstanding because I had observed it working with the Reolink I returned, and it used built-in PoE. I figured anything non-Reolink would be more capable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, this thread itself, its title and topic, seemed to imply you could only have one or the other. (It doesn't directly state it but it sounded that way.)

Also in the thread to which you just linked, fenderman says "you will not be able to connect to the cameras directly if they are connected to the nvr". I still don't understand what that means, but I had seen similar phrasing in another thread, although I can't find it now. I seem to recall something about built-in PoE being the problem vs a PoE switch. At first when I read that I blew it off as a misunderstanding because I had observed it working with the Reolink I returned, and it used built-in PoE. I figured anything non-Reolink would be more capable.
You are confusing pulling the stream from the camera itself and pulling the string from the NVR...

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are confusing pulling the stream from the camera itself and pulling the string from the NVR
With the Reolink I didn't know where the stream came from -- Whether the NVR was relaying the live view or if it was coming directly from the cameras. I just knew could see the live views, and I could stream recordings without having to transfer them to the PC.

As long as I'll still be able to do both, I'm good. I don't care if the data is delivered by super-fast carrier pigeons. :lol:

I'm sorry if I diverted this thread with a misunderstanding. Thank you for your patience and help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Reolink I didn't know where the stream came from -- Whether the NVR was relaying the live view or if it was coming directly from the cameras. I just knew could see the live views, and I could stream recordings without having to transfer them to the PC.

As long as I'll still be able to do both, I'm good. I don't care if the data is delivered by super-fast carrier pigeons. :lol:

I'm sorry if I diverted this thread with a misunderstanding. Thank you for your patience and help.
it was coming from the nvr...you can do the same with any nvr...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have a Core i7 desktop, 16Gb Ram, SSD 128GB and a GTX660 graphic card. I did install BI and runs so smoothly, but it's using 100-110 watts (measured by kill-a-watt meter). So, I was hoping that unit (small Xcy computer) can help me save power, considering it only needs 25 watts or less (according to specs).
For what reason do you need extraordinarily low power consumption? That last PC you linked (fanless w/i7-5500U) should handle the load if you optimize everything well. In fact if you use the "Limit decode" feature it will probably not even maintain very high CPU consumption, which will save some power. You probably don't want to run a heavy load on a fanless box anyway.

Something else to consider is your cameras are probably using 3-6 watts each (depending on the state of the IR LEDs). If you're off-the-grid, running on batteries and solar and whatnot, then you should probably sell those 12 wansview cameras and buy a smaller number of much better ones (Dahua) to replace them. In fact that would be a good idea even if you're on the grid paying 5 cents a kWh.

Reaction score
I've installed the PC I already have, just to see how it works and configured it with Energy saving mode, removed the GTX660 card for saving energy purposes and it's working really good. Processor between 18-25%.

The issue with energy consumption in my country is the price, the equivalent of USD 16 - 20 cents per KW, depending on my consumption, the higher amount of energy I use, the more high rate per kWh I pay.

That pc consumption is around 70-75 watts (metered with kill-a-watt) without using any screen, only the computer running. It's far from what I would like but.. Maybe later I can find some solar solution for that.

Regarding that brand of cameras (Dahua), which model do you recommend?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For what reason do you need extraordinarily low power consumption? That last PC you linked (fanless w/i7-5500U) should handle the load if you optimize everything well. In fact if you use the "Limit decode" feature it will probably not even maintain very high CPU consumption, which will save some power. You probably don't want to run a heavy load on a fanless box anyway.

Something else to consider is your cameras are probably using 3-6 watts each (depending on the state of the IR LEDs). If you're off-the-grid, running on batteries and solar and whatnot, then you should probably sell those 12 wansview cameras and buy a smaller number of much better ones (Dahua) to replace them. In fact that would be a good idea even if you're on the grid paying 5 cents a kWh.
I've installed the PC I already have (core i7, 16GB RAM, and 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD), just to see how it works and configured it with Energy saving mode, removed the GTX660 card for saving energy purposes and it's working really good. Processor between 18-25%.

The issue with energy consumption in my country is the price, the equivalent of USD 16 - 20 cents per KW, depending on my consumption, the higher amount of energy I use, the more high rate per kWh I pay.

That pc consumption is around 70-75 watts (metered with kill-a-watt) without using any screen, only the computer running. It's far from what I would like but.. Maybe later I can find some solar solution for that.

Thanks for you help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've installed the PC I already have (core i7, 16GB RAM, and 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD), just to see how it works and configured it with Energy saving mode, removed the GTX660 card for saving energy purposes and it's working really good. Processor between 18-25%.

Thanks for you help.
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

robertsig

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have over 200 NVR's that I have personally installed in the past 2 years alone. I think I had to return two of them due to a problem and that was a week after install so more than likely it was defective. I'm not saying a quality PC cannot do the job and a tech savy person can use BI to it's full potential, but I am personally more interested in more user friendly, simple plug and play for the end user, and less maintenance. If I gave PC's to every one of my installs, I just feel that it would be a nightmare for myself.
So I was pretty much set on using BI for home use (since I'm testing it now and love it), but it's hard to ignore someone with that much real NVR experience. Can you tell me which you recommend?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. My BI machine just bit the dust Today. So I am trying to decide if I want to re-up another desk top or switch to a NVR.
Kind of leaning to reworking another desk top. I am running a hodge podge of cameras that took me long enough to get them all to work with BI. Pretty sure I wont have much luck with a NVR.
One thing I did notice about Blue Iris though. It can be a resource hog. I have ten cameras running and recording. It killed my I5 machine over 100% cpu usage all the time.
Swapped to a I7 machine with the same setting and it never got above 20% CPU usage. Operating system may have had some impact too. The I 5 machine was running windows 8 and the I7 was running windows 10.
I think what will keep me on the PC though is I like to look at my cameras. I have 2 video cards running 4 big screen monitors.
Will see, I will start digging into it this week. I just wish I knew more. mostly I just know enough to brake something.
it is only a resource hog if you fail to set it up properly which you likely did.
you mention i7 and i5, both completely meaningless terms.
The OS makes no difference in cpu usage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Very very possible, Likely even. But I did not note any set up changes from one to the other. But I also had the same experience going from a core due machine to the i5 machine as I added cameras.
i7 and i5 refer to the CPU. One is faster than the other.
Windows 8 is and was a known resource hog, Thats why my employer got rid of the 200 Windows 8 desk tops we had and went with Windows 10.
Might have been other issues involved, support from Microsoft ect. But thats what they always complained about when ever asked.
i7 is NOT faster than i5. That was my point. There are MANY variants of i5 and i7 as well as multiple generations. Many i5's are much more powerful than i7's.
Windows 8 is not a known resource hog, that is just misinformation.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, well I bow to your knowledge. All I have is my experience with both and that experience has been as described. But yes you are correct there are many different i5's and i7's out there. The i5 I had running BI was a first gen crappy one. The one in my personal desk top is top notch and has kept me from upgrading to a newer machine for a few years now. Just keep upgrading video cards.
But I digress, I get my desk tops other than my personal beast, from work. They auction the old stuff when ever they upgrade. So the Core Duo machine was $45, The i 5 was $55, and I got the i7 machine for $200.
Unfortunate for me they wont be auctioning any more for a year or so. I gave my son the i5 machine and he used it for about a month then threw it out. Said even with a high end video card 1050 ti it was crawl city for his games.
Please stop with this nonsense. You admit yourself that your experience is with a low power first gen i5 that does not support quicksync. So you used crappy equipment that you though you got a "Deal" on to come to your conclusion.
You can buy a third gen i5 machine for 100 dollars...hp 8300.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HP8300 is the one I had.
But hey I dont need to get into a hardware fight with you. I was just stating how glad I was this thread got started so I could learn a bit.
Not interested in becoming a computer expert again. I ended that in the modem string writing days.
NO YOU DID NOT. The hp 8300 has THIRD generation processors. You posted a bunch if misinformation. You dont have to be a computer expert to know the difference between processors. Google works.
You know what, get the NVR. You deserve it.