Advantages of a NVR Vs. Blue Iris and a PC?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Chust, Dec 27, 2015.

Share This Page

1. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

1 - yes....its software, how do you expect it to run without a pc on? It will also have to be in your house not in your truck. You should dedicate a computer to use for BI, just as you would buy a dedicated nvr...cost is 100-500 depending on your load. (you will be disappointed with that 5mp camera...you will need to dedicate a camera for lpr)...
    2- yes of course..
    3 -- no...

drunkpenguin likes this.
  2. greenmoss

greenmoss n3wb

I'm glad I've just read this but after using Hikvision 3MP dome cameras with success I've just ordered a
    Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-IS 8MP Network Dome Camera
    Could I have made a better decision?

Sorry about the font

3. sn1050

sn1050 n3wb

Fenderman,

Any recommendations for a computer to purchase to run 4-5 cameras? Only one being the 5MP camera I sent the link to. The others will be lower resolution cameras just for surveillance. Most likely this one unless you have a better recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPME35U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, why would I be disappointed in that camera? I read that with the varifocal lens that I can manually adjust it to where it's zoomed in correctly to get license plates around street distance.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Please read the threads discussing it ..don't buy those crap cameras... start reading the forum..

5. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Known around here

1. BI can only record when the computer is turned on and the cameras are connected. No.
    2. Yes but yes the computer has to be turned on.
    3. You can set your cameras to record to edge storage (NAS or internal SD card) but I consider that as more like a backup while simultaneously recording with a VMS (Blue Iris, MIlestone, or whatever).

6. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

7. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi sn1050,

I completely agree with fenderman, looney2ns, Kawboy12r,..

avoid those cameras! There is no good reason to be buying cheap 720p cameras when better 1080p cameras are available for reasonable prices.

'HOSAFE 1MD1G HD IP Camera Outdoor 720P Night Vision ONVIF H.264 Motion Detection Email Alert Remote View Via Smart Phone/Tablet/PC, Working With Foscam Wireless IP Camera Software Blue Iris IP Camera DVR (Grey)"