Advantages of a NVR Vs. Blue Iris and a PC?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Chust, Dec 27, 2015.

Share This Page

1. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

1 - yes....its software, how do you expect it to run without a pc on? It will also have to be in your house not in your truck. You should dedicate a computer to use for BI, just as you would buy a dedicated nvr...cost is 100-500 depending on your load. (you will be disappointed with that 5mp camera...you will need to dedicate a camera for lpr)...
    2- yes of course..
    3 -- no...

drunkpenguin likes this.
  2. greenmoss

greenmoss n3wb

I'm glad I've just read this but after using Hikvision 3MP dome cameras with success I've just ordered a
    Hikvision DS-2CD2185FWD-IS 8MP Network Dome Camera
    Could I have made a better decision?

Sorry about the font

3. sn1050

sn1050 n3wb

Fenderman,

Any recommendations for a computer to purchase to run 4-5 cameras? Only one being the 5MP camera I sent the link to. The others will be lower resolution cameras just for surveillance. Most likely this one unless you have a better recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPME35U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, why would I be disappointed in that camera? I read that with the varifocal lens that I can manually adjust it to where it's zoomed in correctly to get license plates around street distance.

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Please read the threads discussing it ..don't buy those crap cameras... start reading the forum..

5. Kawboy12R

Kawboy12R Known around here

1. BI can only record when the computer is turned on and the cameras are connected. No.
    2. Yes but yes the computer has to be turned on.
    3. You can set your cameras to record to edge storage (NAS or internal SD card) but I consider that as more like a backup while simultaneously recording with a VMS (Blue Iris, MIlestone, or whatever).

6. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

7. mat200

mat200 Known around here

Hi sn1050,

I completely agree with fenderman, looney2ns, Kawboy12r,..

avoid those cameras! There is no good reason to be buying cheap 720p cameras when better 1080p cameras are available for reasonable prices.

'HOSAFE 1MD1G HD IP Camera Outdoor 720P Night Vision ONVIF H.264 Motion Detection Email Alert Remote View Via Smart Phone/Tablet/PC, Working With Foscam Wireless IP Camera Software Blue Iris IP Camera DVR (Grey)"

8. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

9. mat200

mat200 Known around here

FYI - for Blue Iris a better CPU is recommended - i5 or i7 please search for the thread on Blue Iris hardware here

10. actran

actran Getting the hang of it

@jchinchilla The above PC does not look sufficient for BI. Also, do you see room in PC to add 1 or more WD purple drives for video recordings?

Some guidance can be found here: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

My recommendation is to buy a refurbished Optiplex small form factor or tower from Dell Outlet store. Make sure to get i5 or i7 6th generation or newer.

jchinchilla likes this.
  11. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

as noted buy a modern i5 (third gen and up) assuming your wansview cameras are 720 your consumption will be about 30w or so...

12. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

Considering that, do you think this will work for BI? I need to know if the processor will be enough to handle 10 to 15 ip cameras.

Thanks for your help

13. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Why? you can buy a pc with a more powerful processor for 100-125....you can buy a modern i5 sixth gen machine for about 300...
    this unit will not save you power...it is always best to record locally...you can backup to nas as well if you wish....

15. looney2ns

16. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

I already have a Core i7 desktop, 16Gb Ram, SSD 128GB and a GTX660 graphic card. I did install BI and runs so smoothly, but it's using 100-110 watts (measured by kill-a-watt meter). So, I was hoping that unit (small Xcy computer) can help me save power, considering it only needs 25 watts or less (according to specs).

17. PaulOTron

PaulOTron Young grasshopper

Hold up... I assumed that as long as a PC and NVR are on the same router, Blue Iris was capable of streaming recordings resident on an NVR, and displaying live cameras connected directly to that NVR. This thread implies that's not possible?

(I just got my Dahua NVR and cameras working, but haven't downloaded Blue Iris yet.)

The only reason I assumed this, is the Reolink system I just returned could do it. Overall their system and software sucked, but it did it all pretty seamlessly and was easy to set up, so I just figured this was common.

This is ideal for me because the PC can be shut down without interfering with the camera system, email alerts etc, but the PC-resident software was the best way to access and change everything after initial setup.

Now I'm also nervous that maybe my NVR may "hide" the cameras from my PC for live viewing. Please don't tell me Reolink can do something that a system including a Dahua NVR and Blue Iris on a PC can't do.

???

18. TonyR

TonyR Getting comfortable

Am I missing something? Where did you read something in this thread that says you cannot "see" cams with BI that are connected to an NVR?

Check this thread from Friday with clarifications on 'how to' by @fenderman ==>> here.

BTW, I found the above and more by performing a search for "stream NVR to Blue Iris".

19. PaulOTron

Sorry, this thread itself, its title and topic, seemed to imply you could only have one or the other. (It doesn't directly state it but it sounded that way.)

Also in the thread to which you just linked, fenderman says "you will not be able to connect to the cameras directly if they are connected to the nvr". I still don't understand what that means, but I had seen similar phrasing in another thread, although I can't find it now. I seem to recall something about built-in PoE being the problem vs a PoE switch. At first when I read that I blew it off as a misunderstanding because I had observed it working with the Reolink I returned, and it used built-in PoE. I figured anything non-Reolink would be more capable.

20. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You are confusing pulling the stream from the camera itself and pulling the string from the NVR...

21. PaulOTron

With the Reolink I didn't know where the stream came from -- Whether the NVR was relaying the live view or if it was coming directly from the cameras. I just knew could see the live views, and I could stream recordings without having to transfer them to the PC.

As long as I'll still be able to do both, I'm good. I don't care if the data is delivered by super-fast carrier pigeons. :lol:

I'm sorry if I diverted this thread with a misunderstanding. Thank you for your patience and help.

22. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

it was coming from the nvr...you can do the same with any nvr...

TonyR likes this.
  23. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

For what reason do you need extraordinarily low power consumption? That last PC you linked (fanless w/i7-5500U) should handle the load if you optimize everything well. In fact if you use the "Limit decode" feature it will probably not even maintain very high CPU consumption, which will save some power. You probably don't want to run a heavy load on a fanless box anyway.

Something else to consider is your cameras are probably using 3-6 watts each (depending on the state of the IR LEDs). If you're off-the-grid, running on batteries and solar and whatnot, then you should probably sell those 12 wansview cameras and buy a smaller number of much better ones (Dahua) to replace them. In fact that would be a good idea even if you're on the grid paying 5 cents a kWh.

looney2ns and fenderman like this.
  24. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

I've installed the PC I already have, just to see how it works and configured it with Energy saving mode, removed the GTX660 card for saving energy purposes and it's working really good. Processor between 18-25%.

The issue with energy consumption in my country is the price, the equivalent of USD 16 - 20 cents per KW, depending on my consumption, the higher amount of energy I use, the more high rate per kWh I pay.

That pc consumption is around 70-75 watts (metered with kill-a-watt) without using any screen, only the computer running. It's far from what I would like but.. Maybe later I can find some solar solution for that.

Regarding that brand of cameras (Dahua), which model do you recommend?

Thanks for you help.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 10:37 PM
  25. jchinchilla

jchinchilla n3wb

I've installed the PC I already have (core i7, 16GB RAM, and 128GB SSD + 500GB HDD), just to see how it works and configured it with Energy saving mode, removed the GTX660 card for saving energy purposes and it's working really good. Processor between 18-25%.

The issue with energy consumption in my country is the price, the equivalent of USD 16 - 20 cents per KW, depending on my consumption, the higher amount of energy I use, the more high rate per kWh I pay.

That pc consumption is around 70-75 watts (metered with kill-a-watt) without using any screen, only the computer running. It's far from what I would like but.. Maybe later I can find some solar solution for that.

Regarding that brand of cameras (Dahua), which model do you recommend?

Thanks for you help.

26. looney2ns

Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE