Advice on new direction to go with setup for future growth

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
The current computer was built primarily for Plex and Media Storage and is still used for that but I added the camera and extra hard drive.

Current Build:
Custom built i3 3.7ghz 8gb memory Win 10 x64
Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I powered by a POE injector running at 20 fps
Dedicated 2TB WD drive for camera.
Blue Iris

So I am wanting to add around 5 more cameras total which will be various 4mp Hikvision cameras. I am wanting to separate all the cameras completely from my current network. I do not care if they are accessible remotely. I have been thinking about moving it to an 8-port NVR with POE but I am not sure what would be the best option. I dont really want to build another dedicated computer to run just the cams.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current computer was built primarily for Plex and Media Storage and is still used for that but I added the camera and extra hard drive.

Current Build:
Custom built i3 3.7ghz 8gb memory Win 10 x64
Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I powered by a POE injector running at 20 fps
Dedicated 2TB WD drive for camera.
Blue Iris

So I am wanting to add around 5 more cameras total which will be various 4mp Hikvision cameras. I am wanting to separate all the cameras completely from my current network. I do not care if they are accessible remotely. I have been thinking about moving it to an 8-port NVR with POE but I am not sure what would be the best option. I dont really want to build another dedicated computer to run just the cams.
HI Tahoe,

A good used i5/i7 windows PC would be the way to go then, as you already know Blue Iris well.

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
If I didnt go with PC/Blue Iris and with with a NVR w/POE what brand/model is the good?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If I didnt go with PC/Blue Iris and with with a NVR w/POE what brand/model is the good?
you will be sorely disappointed with a standalone NVR if you are coming from blue iris. also reconsider the 4mp cameras if low light or night vision is important to you. see hikvision low light camera threads and dahua starlight threads.

tahoebigah

n3wb
Reaction score
you will be sorely disappointed with a standalone NVR if you are coming from blue iris. also reconsider the 4mp cameras if low light or night vision is important to you. see hikvision low light camera threads and dahua starlight threads.
I will look at the low light hik and dahua startlight. It has been awhile since I have look at reviews for the cameras.