AliExpress - Who are people using?

moa999

n3wb
Reaction score
Ordered a 2432 from one of the sellers advertising international versions - and it was, and have upgraded the supplied 5.3.0 to the latest version 5.3.0 (which should be called 5.3.1 otherwise why bother with versioning!)

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

BluePowder

n3wb
Reaction score
Whats the advantage of going with AliExpress vs EBay? Seems like the Ebay versions have free shiping and AliExpress is $15 a piece? Looking at Joanna's shop on AliExpress.

Ispy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tell you this. I got a freaking bill from DHL for customs. Really pisses me off. Didn't know I would have to pay this with Aliexpress

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a freaking bill from DHL for customs.
It's not about Aliexpress, it's about the product imports and in-country tax rules.
DHL 'play by the rules' on import tax and customs duty, it's part of their standard handling process. And they charge you for it too.
Many small items sent airmail don't get stopped by customs, especially if the customs declaration form holds a downgraded value.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Whats the advantage of going with AliExpress vs EBay? Seems like the Ebay versions have free shiping and AliExpress is $15 a piece? Looking at Joanna's shop on AliExpress.
More choices but harder to read seller reviews. There are other sellers on Ali that have lesser or zero shipping charges but they're not Joanna.

With Ebay you can use Paypal.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Noticed xinray is on newegg as a third party seller. Any negatives going newegg route?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So what will be the way to buy stuff from AliEx without paying Custom Duty fees? (For Usa) , or is a must? or depends how seller ship's it?

Thanks,

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what will be the way to buy stuff from AliEx without paying Custom Duty fees? (For Usa) , or is a must? or depends how seller ship's it?

Thanks,
Keep the order under 200usd, or have them declare under 200usd. Or use china air mail, which comes in as USPS. It's rare to get charged custom when coming in via USPS.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
DHL and FedEX will typically result in a custom tax/duty import bill 2-4 weeks after delivery. This isn't DHL or FedEX being an ass, this is them doing business and paying the proper fee's. This typically results in any package sent into the US or Canada over $250. Some people say $200, $500, etc, however my experience has been $250 seems to be the magic number.

China Post is the only way to receive items typically without duty, however most sellers only use China Post for lower value items because of the shipping time also involved (weeks at times) most people do not want to use China Post are are okay paying a small additional duty bill.

Bottom line - Not to sound like an ass... If you want to use Aliexpress just understand what your doing which means import/export fee's need to be paid. Getting butt hurt and calling DHL or FedEx ass holes for doing there job makes you look like the idiot. Also, consider all this when making your purchase - thinking your saving $20 in the end could result in the same price had you purchased state side from a US business/seller...

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@zero-degrees, Thanks for that info.

I was going to purchase 1 Hikvision or Dalhua (vertical outside wall),and i guess i so some around $80-100 , 4-5 mp 1080p but just can see witch one is a reputable seller on AliExp.

Last edited by a moderator:

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
CBP states that anything being imported under 200USD is tax/duty free. Anything over is subject to taxes and If you didn't get charged , then consider yourself lucky.

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases

In Canada, anything over 20CAD is subject to taxes and duties, 60$cad if marked as gift.

Last edited by a moderator:

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So just getting around to setting up my 7616 e2 8p and it appears to be DOA. Fan powers on when I plug in the unit but nothing else happens. No power light comes on and my monitor doesn't recognize any signal. Ugh. Will post a separate thread to see if maybe I did something wrong in the setup. But if I so have to return the unit, anyone know the process via Ali?

moa999

n3wb
Reaction score
Just used USCAM for a 2432. 5.3.0 in Red/White packaging

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

NVR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I paid $52 on a $1850 invoice to the USA via DHL, which is very fair, I know its much more then this for UK buyers, I also prefer to use Aliexpress sellers but finish the transaction outside Aliexpress, you are still protected if using paypal. Most sellers know this and want no problems.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
but finish the transaction outside Aliexpress, you are still protected if using paypal.
Just have to make sure that all terms and conditions are detailed on the Paypal payment and/or Paypal invoice. For example, if they send you a Paypal invoice and it simply says "For camera", they could send a 200 TVL webcam from 1998 valued at under $5 rather than the expensive HD cam that you agreed on. Make sure that brands, model numbers, key specs and item condition are included somewhere on the paypal invoice or paypal payment so that there's no doubt as to what you're sending the payment for.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's good advice.
And that's all and more done automatically for you on an Aliexpress order as it stores a full snapshot of the item description at the time of the order, in the order detail.
So no uncertainty about what was claimed to be for sale after the event.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's good advice.
And that's all and more done automatically for you on an Aliexpress order as it stores a full snapshot of the item description at the time of the order, in the order detail.
So no uncertainty about what was claimed to be for sale after the event.
Exactly...Although Paypal typically has a reputation of "the customer is always right", so more than likely you'd win the case of getting the wrong item even if it wasn't specified in the paypal payment; ie. Paypal would probably take your word for it that you didn't get what was ordered....Still, you can't necessarily guarantee that and I would feel safer making sure that detailed specs on what I am purchasing is included in the paypal invoice/payment. Better to be overly cautious and take a few seconds to add that info rather than gamble on Paypal always taking your word over the seller's word.