AliExpress - Who are people using?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps we should not be putting links to stores. Especially good ones. The whole reason why there is a new store is because Hikvision is after them.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy another: Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4421C 4MP

The sellers on ali, tell me they are "chinese firmware" That is why I asked what happened to CCTV Camera China. As the ones I bought from her are all fine and the price was good. $78.XX
The nightvision is pretty good on the camera and and the 2.8mm lens is great too! But I was surprised when being told what they have are "chinese firmware" only now

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The sellers on ali, tell me they are "chinese firmware" That is why I asked what happened to CCTV Camera China. As the ones I bought from her are all fine and the price was good. $78.XX
The nightvision is pretty good on the camera and and the 2.8mm lens is great too! But I was surprised when being told what they have are "chinese firmware" only now
Me too. I could do with one to play with :)

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score

Does it have English language? Also "nightvision is pretty good" among Dahua or as good as Hikvision WDR cams?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So my shipment likely won't go out until the 15th of October. But I already paid via aliexpress. If for some reason there is an issue (I don't expect one but who knows), how does the aliexpress policy work for getting cash back?

ibfragalot

n3wb
Reaction score
AliExpress is a nightmare when things go wrong (in my opinion) as it's extremely bias in favor of the sellers, unlike eBay/Paypal which are bias for the buyers.

With AliExpress..
You can request a cancellation - but the seller needs to approve.
You can lodge a dispute and request a refund - but the seller needs to approve.
AliExpress Support do essentially nothing but send a stock message to the seller asking them to respond to your requests. Only once a dispute has been filed and you can't reach an agreement they apparently step in.

There should be a countdown clock though (eg. 20 days, 40 days, etc.) and if it's not posted by that time it will automatically cancel. But in my experience the sellers just click that they've posted, and give you a fake number lol.

DingDong

n3wb
Reaction score
I also took the plunge earlier this week and ordered several cameras from Joanna. She has been very responsive in all communications. Initially there was supposed to be a processing time of 20 days but two days later she notified me that she had received the cameras and that the shipment was already underway (with genuine tracking number). The following day DHL was already there for the delivery! Since I hadn't expected them that early, I actually missed the delivery! :/
Now I have to wait until Monday to get the redelivery!

ibfragalot

n3wb
Reaction score
Much better than waiting another 30 days for it! Always a bummer missing the delivery though haha.

Joanna is fantastic.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
how does the aliexpress policy work for getting cash back?
It's an escrow arrangement while the order is in progress, not yet completed.
The seller does not get the money until you acknowledge delivery and that you are happy with what you received.
Beyond when the order is confirmed as complete, you'd need to open a dispute if you have problems later on.
If the items do not get shipped, for example if the seller cannot get stock (I've had that 3 times recently on Hikvision cameras) or the processing time expires, you can request order cancellation. If the seller agrees, you get an automatic full refund.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To clarify, the US sellers we are discussing here sell US region fully upgradable cameras not China cams...amazon sellers selling china cameras are not worth the extra 30 dollars...you are just paying for express shipping and easy returns..you may as well buy a US region camera for those prices..
But when you only have to change 4 numbers of code to convert the Chinese cams to US region, there's not really any benefit to paying anything extra for a factory default US region camera (unless one is totally computer illiterate, which in that case, they'd likely not be buying/installing an IP camera themselves in the first place)...Plus, Hikvision will still not offer any warranty or support on it because you didn't get it from an "authorized dealer"....and from what I've seen, the prices from authorized dealers are way more than $30 extra. Thus, an "unauthorized default US region cam" has no benefit over a "Chinese hacked to US Region camera", as long as the company you are buying from is reputable. You're still relying on the seller for support and the seller and/or a 3rd party company for any warranty.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But when you only have to change 4 numbers of code to convert the Chinese cams to US region, there's not really any benefit to paying anything extra for a factory default US region camera (unless one is totally computer illiterate, which in that case, they'd likely not be buying/installing an IP camera themselves in the first place)...Plus, Hikvision will still not offer any warranty or support on it because you didn't get it from an "authorized dealer"....and from what I've seen, the prices from authorized dealers are way more than $30 extra. Thus, an "unauthorized default US region cam" has no benefit over a "Chinese hacked to US Region camera". You're still relying on the seller for support and the seller and/or a 3rd party company for any warranty.
That is incorrect. There are two primary benefits. 1) firmware updates 2) warranty. The hack will limit you to specific firmware. You will not able to upgrade to newer firmware. Again, depending you your situation this may or may not be an issue. The support provided by US sellers is often quicker and better than hikvision's. If you (like many) are running 3mp hiks in 2mp mode the price difference becomes even closer 10-20 + you get the added benefit of better low light performance that a true 2mp camera provides. On the 4mp the price is often better than ali...On the cubes the price is the same.
Finally, there are lots of folks who can install the cameras but are not comfortable messing with firmware/tftp etc..

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1) firmware updates The hack will limit you to specific firmware. You will not able to upgrade to newer firmware.
Hmm, I'm a little confused on this part. I was under the impression that if one were to do the permanent region change, that the camera becomes identified as a US Region camera and will accept any and all firmware upgrades designed for US region cams. (Again, I'm talking about the permanent region code hack, not the firmware-specific hack that some of the chinese sellers do in which the camera is still chinese region but displayed in English and future firmware upgrades either brick the camera or convert it back to chinese language)...Is this not the case?

2) warranty. The support provided by US sellers is often quicker and better than hikvision's.
Agreed, but the point I was making is that there are US sellers that sell the region hacked Chinese cameras and offer support. If the seller is good and reputable, then their support for a region hacked Chinese cam is just as good as their support for a default US region cam. I think you're referring to paying $30 extra to a seller in China to express ship. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about reputable sellers with stores located in the US that resell the Chinese hacked to US Region cameras and offer support. You would have the exact same seller support without the added markup of a default US region camera.

On the 4mp the price is often better than ali...On the cubes the price is the same.
I was under the impression that the Chinese sellers selling the new 4mp cams were actually selling default US region cams; not hacked Chinese versions? At least several posters on here that ordered from China confirmed that they received a US region serial number on the 4mp they bought from China. If that's true, then I would suspect that you would be able to buy a US region cam cheaper in the US than in China because it would have the same wholesale value and without the international shipping costs. The reason the 3mp were so much cheaper is that they were hacked Chinese versions which had a much lower wholesale cost than default US region.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. That's been my understanding, though. Then again, my reading comprehension isn't always the best, so maybe I have misinterpreted some things? :confused3:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@wxman There is no permanent region change for the newly manufactured cameras coming from china - this was possible in the past but not anymore. The legitimate US sellers we talk about on this site are not hacking Chinese cameras. They are legitimate US region cameras.
Some of the 4mp cams coming from ali were US region...not all. The 3 series cameras are all china hacked firmware that cannot take US firmware in the future.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does it have English language? Also "nightvision is pretty good" among Dahua or as good as Hikvision WDR cams?
The 4 Dahua cameras I got from her are all English, I didn't need to change anything. I consider the nightvision DAMN GREAT! ... Compared to the nightvision I've experienced on analog cameras. The tiny little IR LEDS that are the old style, compare nothing to the newer higher powered single IR LEDS that are out now.

The tiny IR LEDS, say 84 IR LEDS don't even compare to the 1 single IR LEDS that are on the newer cameras. It's a candle VS floodlight basically. I was so shocked. I can look outside where it's 98% dark, pitch black and I can't see anything. I look on my single camera in the back yard and you can see everything on the camera. Pretty much in places where the IR doesn't even hit, the low light pickup is pretty good I think.

I still need another DH-IPC-HDW4421C 4MP Dahua Camera, but where am I going to find it if all they have are Chinese cameras now, what the heck.

goessensj

n3wb
Reaction score
Can we please stay on topic and discuss sellers on Ali Express?
I think we all know the risks, that's why there is a topic to discuss reliable sellers.

I think the discussion about the US vs Ali sellers can stop here.
There are a lot of people on the forums that doesn't live in the US!
For example in Europe, genuine Hikvision sellers do not deliver to us, only to professional installation companies.
In Europe, prices for latest Hikvision cameras are far above 200-300 euros (225-335 dollar). (Ali prices go from 80-160 dollars)

Ali Express is most of the time the only option for us!
So please lets stick on topic and share experiences about Ali sellers.

ON TOPIC

This week i received a 2342 4MP Turret from Joanna, English version.
Very good and clear communication and very fast shipping.
I will buy more from her.

adamf

n3wb
Reaction score
This time, they read my message and asked me to change my router to test and sent me a screenshot of their 2032 with wireless settings saving ok.
I was able resolve my issue by factory restoring twice, and then saving my wireless settings, then reboot.
BTW, got confirmation that dragon electronics parent company is xinray. This guy has much faster response time than xinray
Man, I just have the same problem with 2132F-IWS !. This is driving me crazy as WiFi is a must for me...
What was your seller?

I'v started a thread on that:
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/5883-Fake-DS-2CD2132F-IWS

Last edited by a moderator:

themow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Its just disgusting to see so many people not wanting to help others. If you have info, share it. Don't make people beg and search for something you already know. It wouldn't take you anymore time to type a helpful response than to tell people to spend time and read and look around.

I too would like to know what us sellers are priced similar to ALI. I also would like to hear what ali sellers are good these days. I understand that we need to keep the sellers names somewhat quite to protect them from HIK

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Its just disgusting to see so many people not wanting to help others. If you have info, share it. Don't make people beg and search for something you already know. It wouldn't take you anymore time to type a helpful response than to tell people to spend time and read and look around.

I too would like to know what us sellers are priced similar to ALI. I also would like to hear what ali sellers are good these days. I understand that we need to keep the sellers names somewhat quite to protect them from HIK
There is a reason the information is not shared openly. If you would take two minuets you would find it. If those users would just take the time to send a pm...guess its too much work. This forum is all about helping others. Stop and think for a minuet before tossing out accusations.
Regardless, for now, that sellers is unavailable. You can look at nelly's, they are basically the same price for the 4mp cameras..the 3mp are significantly higher than ali.

Fruit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is a reason the information is not shared openly. If you would take two minuets you would find it. If those users would just take the time to send a pm...guess its too much work.
Regardless, for now, that sellers is unavailable. You can look at nelly's, they are basically the same price for the 4mp cameras..the 3mp are significantly higher than ali.
Imagine a girl that worked very hard to support her husband, thinking he would be happy and grateful.
But instead her husband accused her of cheating on him because of some unpleasant things said by another girl who was jealous of her.
Even after the misunderstanding was cleared up, the girl lost all love for her husband and taking a vacation for herself.