Android app causes BI to crash

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am still a N00B (more or less) when it comes to BI, but have been reading extensively on this forum, and have successfully setup (bench testing only so far) three of the Dahua 5442 cameras. All is going amazingly smoothly, and I have really good luck so far with mobile phone connections via UI3 and a VPN connection (on my Asus router running back to my fiber home service). My question involves push notifications: is using the "real" BI app the only solution available to get these? Sure, I can open the UI3 interface and see alerts, but I know my wife would rather get true push notifications. Am I missing something here, or am I correct in thinking the only way that will happen is through the BI app?
You can setup to have BI send you emails or text messages. Unfortunately, depending on your mobile carrier, there may be a delay. Many here have it work fine and instantaneously and others will have delays.

Mine comes and goes. Sometimes I would get the push and the text at the same time and other times it would be delayed.

Another alternative is the Pushover app. Many people use that as well.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you try rolling back to the previous version? For now at least.

This is why I let the rest of you guys go first on the updates for a few months. ; )
@Mike A. Hey Mike... when you asked me that, for some reason I thought you meant if I used a different "saved settings".. which is totally my bad as I interpreted your question wrong.
Before I make significant changes, I always create a backup of my settings..so I thought that's what you meant.

Now that I am off work, I actually tried different BI software version 5.5.3.7 and the problem with the Android is GONE.
So I tested and upgraded to the latest again 5.5.5.0 and the issue comes back instantly.

So, for now, I have to use v. 5.5.3.7 from 12/03/21. I'd like to know what is in the newest version that is causing the Android issue for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Mike A. Hey Mike... when you asked me that, for some reason I thought you meant if I used a different "saved settings".. which is totally my bad as I interpreted your question wrong.
Before I make significant changes, I always create a backup of my settings..so I thought that's what you meant.

Now that I am off work, I actually tried different BI software version 5.5.3.7 and the problem with the Android is GONE.
So I tested and upgraded to the latest again 5.5.5.0 and the issue comes back instantly.

So, for now, I have to use v. 5.5.3.7 from 12/03/21. I'd like to know what is in the newest version that is causing the Android issue for me.
The newest .0 versions of BI are often buggy. That is why the update tab suggests using the latest stable version. Use common sense.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can setup to have BI send you emails or text messages. Unfortunately, depending on your mobile carrier, there may be a delay. Many here have it work fine and instantaneously and others will have delays.

Mine comes and goes. Sometimes I would get the push and the text at the same time and other times it would be delayed.

Another alternative is the Pushover app. Many people use that as well.
Thanks for the highly detailed reply. I considered the email or text options, but have read just enough on here (and backed up by your comments as well) to know that the results will likely be mixed at best.

I hadn't heard about Pushover, but have just installed it on my phone. I will look into it more at home tonight, and check out the integration options (script on Github, right?).

Love this forum community, always helpful to those who are humble and not snarky right off the bat.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the highly detailed reply. I considered the email or text options, but have read just enough on here (and backed up by your comments as well) to know that the results will likely be mixed at best.

I hadn't heard about Pushover, but have just installed it on my phone. I will look into it more at home tonight, and check out the integration options (script on Github, right?).

Love this forum community, always helpful to those who are humble and not snarky right off the bat.
You can use the script for Pushover, but they also give you a pushover email that you can just have alerts email to that and then they get sent to the pushover app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In addition, he used the fake account to claim that another user was having similar issues.
1644020257517.png

Attachments

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can use the script for Pushover, but they also give you a pushover email that you can just have alerts email to that and then they get sent to the pushover app.
Ok, will check that out too.

What about geofencing? I suppose that might swing the advantage back to the native BI app, unless I am again mistaken (it's happened occasionally).
I suppose I should just try out the native app to see for myself: I haven't tried it yet, as the UI3 interface is working so well, and so many of the user reviews of the BI app on the android Google Play Store are fairly harsh. Are they just clueless users?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, will check that out too.

What about geofencing? I suppose that might swing the advantage back to the native BI app, unless I am again mistaken (it's happened occasionally).
I suppose I should just try out the native app to see for myself: I haven't tried it yet, as the UI3 interface is working so well, and so many of the user reviews of the BI app on the android Google Play Store are fairly harsh. Are they just clueless users?
Yes. The app is far from perfect, but 99 percent of the users with bad reviews have connectivity issue that is their own doing. Its 10 bux, youll survive either way.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think geofencing needs the app, but I am sure someone here has figured out how to make that work with something else LOL.

Yeah, the user reviews on the play store are clueless users LOL. This entire system isn't a plug-n-play scan a QR code system like Ring, Blink, Nest, Arlo, etc. BI provides way more customization than those. So it takes someone with a little computer knowledge or the willingness to learn. All of those reviews are from people that should have the plug-n-play horrible night time video systems LOL.

But look at all the people here that have no issue with the BI app.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I think geofencing needs the app, but I am sure someone here has figured out how to make that work with something else LOL.

Yeah, the user reviews on the play store are clueless users LOL. This entire system isn't a plug-n-play scan a QR code system like Ring, Blink, Nest, Arlo, etc. BI provides way more customization than those. So it takes someone with a little computer knowledge or the willingness to learn. All of those reviews are from people that should have the plug-n-play horrible night time video systems LOL.

But look at all the people here that have no issue with the BI app.
Ok, many thanks again. I now feel like an idiot, as I just found the thread that already covered this exact subject, DOH!!

And, as I also suspected, the complaints are from users that should have known they were in over their heads when setting up BI. Yup, it is not a Ring or Arlo, thankfully LOL.