Another addiction

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So after getting the ZWave/USB dongle more problems. I bought the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5.

When I tried pairing, I got no results. So, read the instructions. I read the manual from Aeotec and it says to just use the pairing feature of the software you're using, but it also says it can pair when unplugged as well. When unplugged just press the "action" button on the front and the blue LED will come on to indicate it's in pairing mode. Pressed the button and no LED at all, dead display, which actually mimics the result in HA.
I have the older Gen5 (there is a Gen5+ and 7 now). To pair, I usually unplug the stick, press the action button and it will slowly blink blue constantly. In the beginning I paired it at my desk, with the stick and new device near each other. If you have a brand new unused device (that hasn't been paired with anything), try it first. When pairing, the stick should change to a solid blue for 2 seconds then, it will go back to slowing blinking blue again. I added several AC Z-wave plugs around the house to act as Z-Wave relays to ensure that battery operated devices would be able to communicate with the stick.

Using a AC plug connected to a light, it turns on at sunset or specific time, then between specified times, it will randomly shut off as specified by my automations.yaml. Beats the old mechanical AC timers :).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No stranger to HA here. Been messing with X10 for over 40 years. I recently chucked them all in the trash as communication with them became almost non-existent.

I've had a Omni Pro II for about 18 yrs, it's been rock solid. I have a bunch of ALC switches I use with it, they worked perfect until a thunderstorm fried the ALC board this past summer. Sad it's all been discontinued.

I ran a trial version of Homeseer 4 for about a month, while it was on sale during Black Friday deals. I was not impressed.
To me it was very convoluted on how to add devices and setup tasks. The few I did setup failed from time to time. I was using it with, my Omni, Tp-link Kasa devices and a Ambient Weather Station.

At the end of the 30 days, after another one of the tasks failed to run, I un-installed it. The final nail in the coffin......when it ask me for my opinion why I uninstalled, I wrote a fairly lengthy reply. When I went to submit it, it returned a server error from HS. Bah.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've had problems with running Home Assistant in a Virtual Box, too. Sometimes it hangs at boot, sometimes it boots fine and it's crashed more than once. It's locked up when uninstalling services and then doesn't want to install them again. I'm not blaming Home Assistant or Virtual Box since the hardware is being pretty heavily taxed with BI and DS. I tried every trick/combination I could think of trying to get ZWave JS to see the ZStick and got nowhere with that. Not being a Linux/Unix guy at all makes it insane. I will say when I upgraded Virtual Box to the latest release is when the problems started. I deleted that version and re-installed the previous one to get it working at least semi acceptably again, but I'm not in any rush to try and use it again for this task.

I downloaded HomeSeer 4 trial version and loaded it up. All the devices are discovered and labeled. I've added a couple of "events" but I'm not really happy with that. I guess I need to learn how to script that to make it work more smoothly. I'm very surprised that there is no "else" statement available in an event. That would smooth thing out a lot and add a lot more functionality to each event rather than being stuck writing a second event to do the "else" portion. I know that can go into a script, but still "events" should be better than what they are, IMHO.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
A further update with HomeSeer.

I've been really struggling with a few things. Remotes are our choice of control although I may look into local voce control for it. Anyhow, while HS sees the remotes it doesn't handle the extended functions well at all through "events". As an example my Fibaro key fob remotes have a total of 16 functions available on each and HS only sees a "scene controller in "Devices" and "Events". I have an Aeotec WallMote Quad and it has 12 functions available. HS sees four of them.

I know they can be controlled through scripts. I've looked around in the HS documentation online and in the HS forum and have yet to find anything useful. I posted there asking for help and got directed to the documentation that I had already spent time with, incidentally that documentation is apparently for HS3 and HS4 is a horse or another color. HS3 is Linux based for Pi while HS4 is Windows based for PC. Apparently they haven't gotten around to updating their documentation yet.

All I'm actually looking for is a sample script showing how and extended function remote is called to trigger a device. I would think that would be a sample script and in the documentation, but I seem to be wrong about that. Like I said, the documentation is written by people who know the system for people who know the system. Very poor support from the documentation and not much from the "community" either.

I have managed to get more control functions out of the WallMote. I played with events and found out how to make one button serve two functions with one click of the button, one tap for ON and the next tap for OFF. Again I'd think that would be a documented script example because it's a commonly used, or probably commonly used, technique, but it took trial and error with an "AND IF" statement with a time delay to get it going. Before I figured that out it took one button to turn "ON" a device and another button to turn it "OFF". At least now I can control four devices/events rather than two.

At least things are moving forward, but I'm starting to lean back toward Home Assistant and am about to get a Pi4+ to run it on. That will get rid of the instability problems I had with a virtual machine and unload the BI machine from home automation tasks. HS plays havoc with DeepStack, lots of timeouts and restarts of DS if DS and HS events happen simultaneously.

Reaction score
HS4, in my opinion, is HS3 with a new front end. Yes, there are a few new features and plugins but for the most part it’s just HS3 rebundled.

As for the lack of Else in events, it did take me some time to figure out a work around. I write my events with branches such that based on changing criteria, Elses occur.

Here is a small example.

75D63EB1-2EAD-4711-8D55-389AD3F199D8.jpeg
Note the “If the Event Conditions are True” modifier.

If you really want to go all in with HS, I suggest their forum: forums.homeseer.com

There are some really great people there, like here, who want to help.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I also use home automation (I know that comes as a shock to everyone that has read my username). I've used Charmed Quark Controller (CQC for short) for well over a decade. It was a professional level computer based automation system that has since gone open source (ie is free to use). I also use SageTV for my TV/DVR system and I run a digital phone system (PBX in a Flash).

I had a few lighting devices on Centralite's Jetstream system, but that system seems to be discontinued. I've actually started moving a lot of my lighting to wifi devices that I can flash with Tasmota. Tasmota is a custom third party firmware that takes all the cloud requirements away from these wifi devices and adds a ton of features as well (including MQTT support which is how I tie them into my larger automation system). These devices are super cheap compared to most lighting options (which is why I never really bought too much lighting previously - it was too expensive IMHO for what it did) and have been extremely reliable. I haven't had issues with any of the wifi switches that I use. I have had a couple of the "smart plugs" that have failed, but I point to the general quality of those devices in the first place. The switches generally run me about $15-20 each while the smart plugs are usually $10-12 each.

emersonvier

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm already bald, literally as well as figuratively :lol:
Hi, @sebastiantombs I have the addictions, HomeAutomation(plus Beer, Tequila, Whiskey, and Pot), started with x10 more than 20 years ago ..., Wink, Smarthings, HA, currently with Hubitat+Sharptools(Dasboard), I prefer Zwave+ Devices, Zigbee never work well with my systems.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The more I work with, and am being frustrated by HomeSeer, the more I'm leaning toward springing for a Pi4+ and switching back to HA. I'm trying to get control of the extended functions in Fibaro Key Fob remotes, Aeotec Remotes and Zooz switches. A post over on the HS board mentioned EastTrigger as a useful plugin. $30 dollar later and no closer. More totally useless documentation that doesn't even include basic configuration as a topic. I'm getting the impression that the whole thing is a kludge held together with string and, if you're luck, a few pieces of baling wire. Heck, there's not even a direct access to the HS console over your own network, it takes an RDP or their "cloud" app. The Android app is half an app and doesn't offer little features like "add a device". That's really chintzy IMHO. Glad I'm using the "Pro" version, the regular version is even less capable and probably less friendly.

Reaction score
I am glad I jumped to the Home Assistant software instead of others. 100% free for all software and plugins (at least, I have not come across any that cost $$$) so can't go wrong. The learning curve is not as bad as people made it out to be, when I first started. In the beginning, I was dabbling with NodeRed. But now, HA has done some major ..... um.....work on setting up automations from their own GUI interface in the last year, enough that I do not use NodeRed any longer. I wouldn't spring for a Pi4, I would go NUC (unless really finiky about electricity used).
I am working on a pi3 as we speak setting up Octoprint 3D printer image. Bought a rasberry pi v2 camera (I think I broke it). I ordered an arducam and fired it up tonite. Sooooo much better image quality.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I keep waffling between a super SFF like a NUC and the Pi. If I do try a Pi If it doesn't work out I'll repurpose it to Pfsense or something else. I haven't fooled with Linux since the 1990's so I want to set up a dual boot on a spare machine and install it there to make sure I can navigate and manipulate it to get comfortable before I decide on a Pi or a NUC.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I'm going to give Home Assistant a try. I have a decent intel Nuc box running Home Seer, so I'd like to add HA to it. Never tried VM before. There are four different options for installing the VM: VirtualBox, KVM, Vmware and Hyper-V.

Any one have thoughts on which one I should try?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran Virtual Box and had stability problems with the VM. I think that was more of a problem with the hardware being pretty loaded with BI and another task more than the fault of Virtual Box. YMMV as with everything.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think I'm going to give Home Assistant a try. I have a decent intel Nuc box running Home Seer, so I'd like to add HA to it. Never tried VM before. There are four different options for installing the VM: VirtualBox, KVM, Vmware and Hyper-V.

Any one have thoughts on which one I should try?
Unfortunately Hyper-V doesnt support USB pass through.. So if youre using a USB dongle this can be an issue. I ran Virtual Box.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m another Homeseer guy here. When we bought our house in 2011, my wife made the mistake of wishing she could turn the bedroom light off from her nightstand. In college I had one of those cheap RF switches I got at Walmart, but it broke on me. I started down a rabbit hole with Vera and Z-wave. And landed on Homeseer, about 5 years ago.

My current setup uses a lot of Caseta wireless switches, with a HS plugin to control my stuff. Generally Z-wave, with a handful of LIFX bulbs/strips sprinkled in for color. I do a little bit of Alexa-Voice Control but it gets a little funny to set up with HS. I also can’t get my Sonos stuff interfaced with HS, but I think it’s operator error.

I messed around with the trial period of Blue Iris with HS plugin, but I couldn’t think of much of a use case for it, so I never went any further with it.

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I keep waffling between a super SFF like a NUC and the Pi. If I do try a Pi If it doesn't work out I'll repurpose it to Pfsense or something else. I haven't fooled with Linux since the 1990's so I want to set up a dual boot on a spare machine and install it there to make sure I can navigate and manipulate it to get comfortable before I decide on a Pi or a NUC.
I’ve been running Homeseer on an Intel NUC for going on 5 years now. I run a fairly simple setup, compared to most, but I’m quite pleased with it. I think I’ve had to reboot it like 4 times, and had a few problems with the z-wave stick I’m using, that probably wasn’t the NUC’s fault.

My biggest problem was the size of the SSD it came with, something stupid small like 32 GB. Long story short, I ended up deplattering an external drive and putting the 2.5” magnetic drive in it, really for just enough storage space to download and run Windows updates, especially the first one.

But it runs cool/quiet, and doesn’t take up much space in my rack.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm new to the NUC world so even trying to pick one is problematic. If I go with HA over HomeSeer I'd probably load Linux on it which is why I keep thinking a Pi. The only purpose for the second box will be home automation only and it's not going to be a massive, complicated system.

I just read a post over on the HS board that says the most popular ZWave devices are bed pressure sensors, water control valves and water leak valves. Of course a hub made the list, but wasn't the number one item on the list. I don't think I'll ever be adding bed or chair pressure sensors. Maybe a water control valve and maybe a leak detector or two if I have "money to burn". All I want to do is control lighting and maybe integrate with the alarm system and Blue iris so the capabilities of the controller, NUC or Pi, aren't all that demanding.

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been running HomeSeer for about 18 months and I have no issues with integrating with and/or controlling any of my sonos equipment. I have 5 amps and a bunch of self powered speakers.
I also use HS to run my Sony TV (mute/volume/etc). I mostly do that when out of town to make the house looked lived in.
I also have HS communicating with BI as well as BI talking to HS. I just use HTTP calls, no queue or plugin needed.

With the two working in tandem I find that BI works so much better. For example, at the moment I just told HS that the cleaners arrived, which in turn tells BI to run all interior cameras (6) to record continuously.

Another example is when the front door is opened from the inside (not the outside), HomeSeer notes the door is being unlocked and tells Blue Iris not to send me any alerts if humans are found (via the BI AI).
Before I had all this setup I would open my front door, walk outside and get an alert! Aaagh!