Anyone able to help setting up IP Cameras in my shop, I can't reach network.

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, My set up is a Asus router in my home, I have a set of Nano stations that beam from house to shop, I have another Asus router in the shop that handles the internet/Wifi. I have a NVR attached to the router, I have gotten the cameras on line and I can use the NVR, My Laptop and my phone with an IVMS-4500 app to view them as long as I am connected to the Shop Wifi, If I go to cell data or if I connect to house Wifi I can not. I have spent so much time trying to make this work, I set a static IP for the shop and the NVR and I have a port open. I am in way over my head. Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
You can find good information in the cliff notes and wiki, that may assist you.

NVR topic

NVR topic

Reaction score
It is confusing trying to understand your setup from just words. It would help folks to be able to answer your issue if you posted a drawing of the set up, along with IP addresses.

Since you have two routers, I would imagine that they are different sub-nets? How do you get internet at the house if the shop is where the internet connection is?

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
Internet comes into the house into a Motorolla Modem then to a ASUS 5300, I then have a nano station from house that connects to another nano station at the shop which is then plugged into a Asus 3100 router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have two independent internet connections, one at the house and one at the shop ?

Are the shop and the house using the same subnet ? (ie 192.168.1.x) ?

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
My shop is fed by my home though Nano stations, I am not able to loggin into the shop router now, I was until a setting was changed to allow it to be kinda like a bridge yesterday.
Home ( Main router ) is
Lan IP 192.168.1.1
Garage Static IP I think is 192.168.1.114
NVR is 192.168.1.91
Camera 1 192.168.254.10
Camera 2 192.168.254.3

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So your cameras are on a separate subnet (192.168.254.x) than your home (192.168.1.x) which will create problems if you don't know how to deal with it. It's so much simpler to have a single flat network (e.g. one single subnet). How is the Nano Station in the shop connected to the router out there? Is the Nano station plugged into the WAN port on the router? If so, move the Nano Station it to a LAN port. That should bypass all the router capabilities (in theory) and make it act like a switch. You would then need to disable DHCP for the shop router. If you then reboot the shop router, Nano station, and anything else connected to wifi out there, they then should start getting DHCP IP addresses from your house router and all be in the same network.

It would make more sense to replace the router in your shop with a switch and a simple AP. So the Nano Station in your shop would connect to a switch and then you would connect a Unifi AP to the same shop switch the shop Nano Station is plugged into. That creates one flat subnet that is all fed and handled by the router in your house.

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastairstevenson so what does that mean? Should I change it? Is it okay like that?

Biggen, It was in the Wan and I moved it to the Lan, It has been on the Wan for 5 years, I have it on the Lan now and I forgot if I disabled DHCP and I can't get back in the router. Can I keep the Router and et it act like a switch? I am happy with the internet out there as I have a few devices running fine. I do want to get 5 G Nano stations in the near future.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You can reset that router. Look for a recessed button on the back, disconnect power, press the button, re-apply power and hold the button down for 30 seconds or so. That will take it back to factory default for login and password. Once you get logged in you can config it the way you need it. A "home use" style router, typically, makes a poor switch. They normally don't have much bandwidth as a switch.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no guarantee it will switch the way I advised but it "should". You would be better of buying a $20 switch and a dedicated AP.

Once you move everything in the Shop to the LAN output of that router everything connected to it will need a reboot in order to grab IPs from your house router DHCP. Just make sure you disable the shop router's DHCP since you will have issues.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Any cheapo switch will work. Check my post #9 for the Unifi AP.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
I wish I would have tried the Nano into the 3100 as a node , But everything is working now so I don't know if I should mess with it. Any benefit over using it as a AP?

Main Router is 192.168.1.1, Nanos are .2 and .3, 3100 router is set up as AP and is static at .4 and the NVR is .5 I opened up one port. Everything is up and running IVMS app is working on and off the net. The Nano station is back into the Wan port as it appears that is where it should go when using it as a AP.

Nano station is giving me about 40 MBPS Download tried to tweak the settings a little in the Nano station but I couldn't get any better speed, They are 2.4 Locos but I do get a 5 G signal from the router they power.

The only thing I see is on the NVR the HTTPS port says it is set to port 443 and I get a inactive message ( The external port has been used ) Not sure what this does and if it is a issue.

I borrowed these from a friend and they shot me over 100MBPS but they are picky as to what outlet they are hooked to, They either cut speed or would not pair, hes going to bring me a set of Air Max 5G Nanos to try .

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
I moved the Nano station in the house higher up in the window and the signal improved, I can't run an external wire at the moment. What other settings should I check? Should I raise or lower power ?Does that help with signa
The App and web browser work now on Both networks and I am able to loggin into the either router at the house or the shop and The Ivms app works on the network and off with out issue, Today I was 100 Miles away and I was able to check them.

The reason I am confused about the WAN and LAN is I Have the shop set up as a AP which I guess the difference from the Aimesh as the AP I use a different WiFI name and the Aimesh would allow me to act like I am still connected to house router. ASUS from what I am reading when in AP Mode or Aimesh makes the Wan a 5 Lan port and recommend using it I even called them to confirm this. I attached 2 screens which I think is talking about this. If I do move it from Wan to Lan do I need to change anything? The Shop router/AP has a static IP.

Attachments

Joe.G

n3wb
Reaction score
So I moved the Nanostation in the house up higher in the window sill by less then a foot, and I went from 6 to 9 MBPS on the 2.4 g channel and 40ish MBPS on the 5 G channel to now getting 40 on the 2.4 G channel and 90 to 100 MBPS on the 5 G channel. Now these are 2.4 G M2 Loco Nano stations so I am not sure why I get a 5 G channel ( I am guessing my router converts it ) and how many MBPS they are capable of transferring. My Home WiFi produces around 450 to 500 MBPS.