Anyone can help enhance image?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is only a very limited amount of enhancement possible with computers. It boils down to two things:

1) Zooming in. Many advanced video players can do this via a cumbersome interface, but it is extraordinarily easy with a web browser like Chrome where you just CTRL + Mouse Wheel or pinch zoom on appropriate devices.
2) Modifying image contrast. In this case I don't think you would gain anything from doing this. The contrast already appears sufficient.

That is really all there is when factual accuracy is important. When artistic value is all that is required, there are plenty of AI-based image enhancement tools out there on the internet. Some of them can produce fairly incredible results, but they are just that. Not credible.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the right section.
But I was wondering in anyone knows of any software or can do it for me, to enhance this video or face shot of a thief. Thanks guys.
Cam is mounted too high.
More light would have helped.
A second camera on the other side of the garage looking across the driveway.
Too wide of angle of lens. Point the cam down some, you don't need to see the sky.
Study here Cliff Notes and here Wiki

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
That must be the substream, with the very low 704x480 resolution.
How did you extract the video / can you extract the main stream instead?
Yes it was extracted from the Lorex could phone app. Do you think it would be better if I can get the actual clip from the dvr/nvr?

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
How did you extract the video / can you extract the main stream instead?
Yes, possibly
And sorry for the noob question but how would I extract the original video? Because the only other thing I have is the Lorex pc program? I been thinking about to upgrading to blue iris but I dono if it will be compatible.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not to criticize but I'd ask myself what you're trying to protect? It looks like you have the camera's focus pointed to the middle of the street. Maybe you're trying to catch license plates or monitor traffic. If so, that makes sense. But if you're tying to protect YOUR own property then why aren't you focused on it?

Sorry you have someone window shopping like that. It's common. Another common thing is for people to get some sort of cam setup and think they're protected. If they never take the time to learn the system, optimize it and how to extract info, it does you no good and you end up with something like this (at best). I hope you dont think I'm taking shots at you about this. It's unfortunately just really common.

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Not to criticize but I'd ask myself what you're trying to protect? It looks like you have the camera's focus pointed to the middle of the street. Maybe you're trying to catch license plates or monitor traffic. If so, that makes sense. But if you're tying to protect YOUR own property then why aren't you focused on it?

Sorry you have someone window shopping like that. It's common. Another common thing is for people to get some sort of cam setup and think they're protected. If they never take the time to learn the system, optimize it and how to extract info, it does you no good and you end up with something like this (at best). I hope you dont think I'm taking shots at you about this. It's unfortunately just really common.
Totally understand, and yes I read on here a little while ago about how sum guys have set up license plate cameras to catch plate numbers, but I failed since the infrared is really bright at night, or maybe it’s my angel, as you can see on the sign in the video “it’s a stops sign”.
I have more cameras on every corner . The one on the left side of the driveway points down but he never got close to it to see his face. That’s why I clipped it from the other right side.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not the right section.
But I was wondering in anyone knows of any software or can do it for me, to enhance this video or face shot of a thief. Thanks guys.
Welcome here @Armin773

Nice capture.

If you have a Lorex Dahua OEM kit and an available channel I would augment your kit with a newer Dahua OEM starlight+ 4MP camera and keep it in color mode to add color data to an image capture.
( what lorex kit did you pick up? )

This combined with the other cameras you already have should help a lot to get a more comprehensive image data.

image capture from 02-17-2020 03:08:09 AM

1581974748783.png

1581974794344.png

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With the still shown above at that very low resolution - assuming it's the substream as it's from the phone - the full resolution mainstream will give a pretty good and clear image.

(Not familiar with Lorex NVRs) Isn't there a web GUI via the PC browser (likely IE11) that has a Playback facility from which full-resolution clips can be downloaded to the PC?

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome here @Armin773

Nice capture.

If you have a Lorex Dahua OEM kit and an available channel I would augment your kit with a newer Dahua OEM starlight+ 4MP camera and keep it in color mode to add color data to an image capture.
( what lorex kit did you pick up? )

This combined with the other cameras you already have should help a lot to get a more comprehensive image data.

image capture from 02-17-2020 03:08:09 AM

View attachment 55731

View attachment 55732
Hey this is the exact kit I have, Is Dahua OEM compatable with this nvr?

Attachments

Armin773

n3wb
Reaction score
With the still shown above at that very low resolution - assuming it's the substream as it's from the phone - the full resolution mainstream will give a pretty good and clear image.

(Not familiar with Lorex NVRs) Isn't there a web GUI via the PC browser (likely IE11) that has a Playback facility from which full-resolution clips can be downloaded to the PC?
Am not sure ether am total noob at security cameras am going to have to look into it when I get home I been at work all day.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey this is the exact kit I have, Is Dahua OEM compatable with this nvr?
Hi @Armin773

Yes that is a Dahua OEM kit - so most of the related Dahua how to info will apply ( exception is the IVS features ), and you can augment with dahua oem cameras to the kit.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
A 2nd camera would help with that capture as well. Wide angles are very good for overviews but spread the pixels over a large area reducing the density and thus quality of the image. A 2nd camera with a much tighter zoom lens focused solely on your drive entrance / car would give a better shot to start with (more full frame) and more pixels to play with if you needed to crop the final picture.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, you should definitely be able to extract much higher rez image from this system, as Alastair pointed out at the very top of this post...
From a desktop PC or perhaps a tablet, point your browser to the NVR's IP... the phone app is not getting you the full picture.

and since your cams are all vari-focal's you should also be able to zoom in the views to avoid recording things that don't matter, as other have suggested.

StewartM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An example of bp2008's point when using AI to enhance footage:
Artemis Output.png

Using the wheel as an example you can see why accuracy will be called into question.
1590601551935.png1590601211671.png