Anything wrong with the Netgear GS408EPP 8 port POE switch?

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see it on the list but I thought it looked interesting to me. I like that it only has POE ports. No need to have a bunch of non POE ports that I'm not going to use...

Looks like it's $114 on Amazon. Thinking of giving it a shot.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't see it on the list but I thought it looked interesting to me. I like that it only has POE ports. No need to have a bunch of non POE ports that I'm not going to use...

Looks like it's $114 on Amazon. Thinking of giving it a shot.

Thanks

nothing "wrong" that I know of. A question I would ask is do you need gigabit for a bunch of poe cameras? If you're going for Netgear and really need 8 poe ports, you could go 10/100 much cheaper.

As for the price, 3 Camels shows that the price dropped to that at the end of December so the price is stable.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
like everything in this hobby, it depends on the features you NEED and those you WANT

72 bucks and is still Netgear if you're sticking w/ the brand. I see TPLink cheaper often. Just depends on which brands you trust.

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
I know nothing about brands. Reading between the lines you guys believe Netgear is a good brand?

I want it to be likely to last 10 years while operating in an unheated, uninsulated building running 8 cameras.

Will be subjected to temps from -20F to 120F.

If it only needs to be 10/100, that’s fine with me.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know nothing about brands. Reading between the lines you guys believe Netgear is a good brand?

I want it to be likely to last 10 years while operating in an unheated, uninsulated building running 8 cameras.

I can't speak for everyone. this is just my thoughts. I like Netgear just as much as the other mainline brands. I tend to stay away from bvtech & the other discount, no name brands. I try to stay with main brands that have the features I NEED and not just WANT.

Another thought is that you say 10 years. That's an amazingly long time in the world of technology. Look around you. Do you see any systems still running or being used for 10 years? Possible but uncommon. Most of the time, things are upgraded b/c they died or more often (from my experience anyway) is b/c the technology changes and you need to upgrade either for processing or bandwidth.

tldr - stick with mainline brands w/ sufficent features. But keep in mind that things get changed every 3-5yrs for multiple reasons. Hoping for 10 is unrealistic hopes imho.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use netgear GS108LP you can upgrade the power supply to provide more power per port if needed. Use this only if you are NOT using a number of PTZ cameras, they draw more power than thuis provides.

Your choice of the gs408epp is also an excellent switch. I like netgear products, simple and they work.

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't speak for everyone. this is just my thoughts. I like Netgear just as much as the other mainline brands. I tend to stay away from bvtech & the other discount, no name brands. I try to stay with main brands that have the features I NEED and not just WANT.

Another thought is that you say 10 years. That's an amazingly long time in the world of technology. Look around you. Do you see any systems still running or being used for 10 years? Possible but uncommon. Most of the time, things are upgraded b/c they died or more often (from my experience anyway) is b/c the technology changes and you need to upgrade either for processing or bandwidth.

tldr - stick with mainline brands w/ sufficent features. But keep in mind that things get changed every 3-5yrs for multiple reasons. Hoping for 10 is unrealistic hopes imho.
I’m still using a pair of Linksys WRT54GL routers:)

Granted they were in storage for 5 years or so until I found another use for them but having something that will be useable 10 years from now is not too much to ask in my opinion.

My business laptop is a Lenovo T430 I bought at the very end of 2012 and it still serves me well. I did have to replace the motherboard with a used eBay replacement for $40 or so a few years ago though. The way things are going with it I’m not sure why I won’t be using it 4 years from now. It works better than my wife’s 2 year old laptop that has better specs for some reason.

I’m not saying it has to be the best 10 years from now but I’d sure like it to still work.

jlppilot

n3wb
Reaction score
Use netgear GS108LP you can upgrade the power supply to provide more power per port if needed. Use this only if you are NOT using a number of PTZ cameras, they draw more power than thuis provides.

Your choice of the gs408epp is also an excellent switch. I like netgear products, simple and they work.
As I look at the two it looks like the 108LP has less power per Ethernet port compared to 408epp?

I guess I don’t have plans for any PTZ cameras. Maybe zoom only?

My camera budget will focus on good images aimed in specific locations. Maybe $180 to $250 per camera so I assume I won’t be getting good images plus PTZ for that cost?

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Whoa, -20°F is cold! Check the operating temp specs: 32° - 122°F.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The general rule on ptz cameras are they will be pointed to where the action is not happening. I prefere multiple static cameras. Please pat atatention to the lens on the camera, there are wide lens (2.8) with not a lot of deth of fiels, and there are narrower lens (6.0) that have more depth of field.

1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
2) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
3) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
4) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

read some different camera recommendations.
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED . Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+) - 4MP starlight
.................... Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED review
IPC-T5442TM-AS ..... Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU ...... Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS .... Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 . Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE .... Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE ... IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I ... Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
IPC-T5241H-AS-PV ... Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also search for industrial type switches, many are used for extreme temp environments.