Are Most Routers POE Compatible?

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been installing a LOREX NVR with 16 cameras (check my other threads to get caught up on the installation) and I've been having issues with a POE switch. After researching online for days I came across a site saying common everyday routers are not POE compatible? If so then I think I just solved my issues but I've had other people tell me to just plug the POE switch into the router and call it good because all routers are POE compatible. I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff so I'm confused.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They mean common everyday routers do not have POE ports, just ethernet data ports, meaning you cannot pull power from the router to power something.

Hundreds of people just on this site have POE switches hooked to a router...

The POE switch senses that the router doesn't need power supplied to it, so it doesn't provide power and just sends data.

The PoE switch typically connects to your router and can be used for a mix of PoE devices and non-PoE devices, since most switches will supply just the network connection if you plug in a non-PoE.

Your issue is something else LOL. I take it you haven't factory reset and tried again LOL.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you were using some sort of passive non-compliant PoE injector, you might be able to cause problems if you hook things up incorrectly. Otherwise, no.

How about this:
Make a diagram of your network, how things are hooked up, ip addressed...
Try to describe what isn't working coherently.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are his previous threads...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are his previous threads...

I skimmed those, and that's exactly why I posted what I did.

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, guys, go find and read his other threads to get caught up on his installation, to help him! :screwy:

:rofl:
Yeah, I apologize Sir Steve.L , not crazy. I joined this forum to gain knowledge from members and get their opinions on technical issues I'm having with an I.P. camera system I'm installing. Just like millions of other people around the world who join thousands of other forums for the same reasons. Just sayin.

Reaction score
Ha, no apology necessary, I'm no authority around here, I'm just making light of some of your forum etiquette (like multiple posts on the same topic). ;)

savatreatabvr

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ha, no apology necessary, I'm no authority around here, I'm just making light of some of your forum etiquette (like multiple posts on the same topic). ;)
Same topic, different questions. I'm not on forums all the time so not well versed in forum etiquette so if I'm out of line don't hesitate to speak up. Below is a simplified drawing of my system.

image50a1bf084a2e46359711429cfc394b88.png

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Same topic, different questions. I'm not on forums all the time so not well versed in forum etiquette so if I'm out of line don't hesitate to speak up. Below is a simplified drawing of my system.

View attachment 128269
NVRs with a PoE switch have two different network segments:
1. The PoE switch section which uses a different subnet than the lan/wan side. You may not be able to connect a switch to the PoE ports and have it work. Cameras connected directly to these ports can typically be automatically configured / initialized.
2. The lan port that's used to view your cameras locally or remotely. You may be able to record additional cameras that are on the LAN but will be limited to the number of channels the NVR supports. Cameras connected this way need some manual configuration to initialize them successfully and ensure an IP outside of your router's DHCP server range is used to prevent conflicts. If you connect the cameras directly to the NVR's PoE ports and then move them it won't work as they'll be initialized with the wrong settings.

Last edited:

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would adding a common switch, POE or not, at the router help. Plug the current 2 lines into it and then a single line into the router.
If memory serves me correctly, this is configured this way due to location issues.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - posting this image in case someone stumbles on it ..

DO NOT pass all the IP Camera video through your router .. use a Switch upstream of the NVR .. if a good enough PoE switch you can use that also for the NVR .. make certain the switch is rated for the B/W and PoE power you need.

ipcameras-router.png