Are these intrusions or uninvited guests?

NickTheGreat

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What? No one used a RadioShack TRS-80?
That was my first computer experience. My dad bought it in the early 80's, I suppose? I was born in 83 and remember messing with it. He always told me NOT to push that fun reddish-orange button. Sometimes I could push it, but not very often!

Some 20 years later, that thing got tossed out the attic window, 3 stories up. It put a crater in the yard, and didn't phase the machine. I kinda wanted to see if it'd fire up afterwards!

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The TRS-80 was a great computer. My high school got them in about 81 or 82. We had 4k of RAM and cassette tapes for storage. I think that is what got me first interested in engineering. The next thing I knew I was at a computer show buying a motherboard and a tube of RAM chips to build my first 4.77MHz PC.

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is so bad about using port forwarding. All my cameras are passworded.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
There are consumer grade routers coming out with active firewalls/AV stuff now...

I want to say Netgears' interface looks clean, alas they want to charge for it...

I know the TPLink stuff is free, but if you want to get into the nitty gritty, pick up a pfSense box...

Pretty cool stuff....
TBH Maybe it's a US IP provider thing - saving costs by not supplying firewalled routers. In all the time I've been on the internet in the UK, I've never had a router without a firewall installed, despite all but one, being IP supplied cheap routers.

PS I just tested my current IP supplied fibre router based on your shields up post (used in the past, forgot all about it). Came back as impossible to reverse look up the DNS, no ports detectable. :)

US IP providers really need to get their act together when it comes to protecting their customers with supplied equipment.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
TBH Maybe it's a US IP provider thing - saving costs by not supplying firewalled routers. In all the time I've been on the internet in the UK, I've never had a router without a firewall installed, despite all but one, being IP supplied cheap routers.
I suspect what @d.lux is referring to is firewalls that have reactive traffic analysis facilities such as IDS (Intrusion Detection System) and IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) and access to actively-maintained block lists.
These type of facilities analyse the traffic and how it flows in order to identify threats as opposed to simply passively blocking unsolicited inbound traffic as the standard NAT firewall in a router does.
That does need a much higher level of processing capability than the simple IP-tables-based NAT router that's standard ISP issue globally.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I suspect what @d.lux is referring to is firewalls that have reactive traffic analysis facilities such as IDS (Intrusion Detection System) and IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) and access to actively-maintained block lists.
These type of facilities analyse the traffic and how it flows in order to identify threats as opposed to simply passively blocking unsolicited inbound traffic as the standard NAT firewall in a router does.
That does need a much higher level of processing capability than the simple IP-tables-based NAT router that's standard ISP issue globally.
Indeed, in my country some ISP's provide these "services" at a whopping price range: (which does not provide 100% hassle free journeys on the internet to be honest).

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Before that in High School I work nights at the IBM research center in New York as a key punch operator. On a 027 keypunch machine, one mistake and start over. (1965)
I used to work at IBM's Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY. All your computer nerd fantasies would have been reality. We were developing RFID that back then was leading edge...a lot of US Patents came out of that project. You think it's frustrating to figure out your WiFi problem? Try debugging an RFID chip that has no wires connected being powered by an RF field. It's not like you hook up a logic analyzer or oscilloscope. Of course wireless/battery-less RFID is common now.