Attempted firmware upgrade on Hikvision DS-7608NI-I2/8P gone bad.

kawda

n3wb
Reaction score
See if you can find some footage of 4 in action on Youtube before attempting the upgrade. I found the way the time bar has been changed from 3.x really annoying - I usually watch multiple cameras and click on the next relevant "Smart Event" to advance to where I want to watch. I couldn't do that easily with 4.
Ok thanks for the Tip will have a look. Cheers

bogchop

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the firmware lads. My DS-7616NI-I2(16P) has run like absolute crap from day one. I've successfully upgraded to the first firmware file provided, now repairing the DB and will upgrade to the 4.22 build.

I've had a few issues. Hoping the firmware update fixes some of it.

1. Pulsating on all cameras connected. Has this light 'pulse' every other second going through all cameras. Most noticeable on night/bw footage.

2. NVR becomes slow, sluggish and unresponsive over time. Requires regular reboots.

3. H265 recording is just terrible, turned it off because it doesn't do what its supposed to. Missing footage galore.

4. Missing footage. There are random points in time that do not record to the NVR. No idea how/why.

5. The unit always seems to be 'repairing' the 2 HDDs i have in there (WD Purple and a Seagate SkyHawk).

Seems like Hik never bothered to update their AU site with firmware (and my seller was an ebay one, although supposedly authorised). Never got a response back from Hik AU support, was disappointing. Even worse I've had to come to an internet forum to find this stuff!

Last edited:

bogchop

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update - my unit was running firmware from 2018. Slow, sluggish, terrible. After installing the supplied firmware to get me to 4.22, I also managed to use the firmware 'supplied' by my local supplier. Was expecting more AU firmware, but was simply pointed here:

Video recorders

So apparently using 'US' firmware on my 'AU' unit was fine. And it worked. Upgraded to 4.40 I think. No problems. NVR running smoother than ever. The 'pulsing' issue I have is less prevalent on medium quality continuous recording. I can also use H265 now without the unit eventually becoming sluggish/crashing. Huge boon for space savings!

And the one thing that really bothered me was selecting existing footage from the review section. Selected one camera on old firmware, and it would take close to ~30 seconds for it to appear in a window on its own. Since updating to later firmware, I can select cameras and their recorded footage appears almost immediately.

And I got my 'shape drawing' login back that I had on my old NVR, bonus! The only 'issue' I can see now is that while my Seagate SKyHawk is recognised as a usable HDD, my WD Purple 3TB unit isn't recognised as an 'approved' HDD (still works though).