attempted warehouse burglary

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a warehouse that we monitor. We only had these cameras in place for about a week or two, when this incident took place. You can see that they needed to be adjusted away from the walls of the building. They were adjusted properly after this incident took place. These are 3 or 4MP Dahua bullets recording in full resolution.

Last edited:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would have added three german shepards in that fenced area if I owned the warehouse would have been effective and more entertaining.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good lighting is not a crime deterrent, it's an asset used by criminals. Innovative lighting may be a deterrent. Even at relatively low wattages LED lights irritate the retina and badly affect night vision. Mount LED flood lights at chest level (High up is to their advantage) and ruin the stealth capability if the intruder. Sure they can be vandalised but at that point good images should have been captured and an alarm raised.

In a domestic situation where risk of violent home invasion is a reality a 40-80 watt flood shining out of a window from inside the home makes it very difficult for an intruder to see what he is doing and indeed he wont know if someone is behind the light watching him. The light should be activated by a concealed garden beam or similar. LED's can be incorporated in such a way to have a limited visual impact on the home aesthetics. Once 'zapped' by a bright LED, night blindness is a significant deterrent to criminals placing them on the back foot.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Good lighting is not a crime deterrent, it's an asset used by criminals. Innovative lighting may be a deterrent. Even at relatively low wattages LED lights irritate the retina and badly affect night vision. Mount LED flood lights at chest level (High up is to their advantage) and ruin the stealth capability if the intruder. Sure they can be vandalised but at that point good images should have been captured and an alarm raised.

In a domestic situation where risk of violent home invasion is a reality a 40-80 watt flood shining out of a window from inside the home makes it very difficult for an intruder to see what he is doing and indeed he wont know if someone is behind the light watching him. The light should be activated by a concealed garden beam or similar. LED's can be incorporated in such a way to have a limited visual impact on the home aesthetics. Once 'zapped' by a bright LED, night blindness is a significant deterrent to criminals placing them on the back foot.
Wow...So much bullshit in a single post...

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman, care to pick the bullshit (as you call it) apart point by point rather than outright dismissal. I really am interested in your reasoning. Admittedly my focus is more on the residential lighting scenario but my comments were triggered by the total disregard of the well lit areas in the video above which is a pattern I have observed time and time again. Also I'm confining my comments to criminals and light as a deterrent. Of course light makes a person feel safer at night because one thinks one can see possible threats but this is not always the case.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the light scenario, I'm really referring to criminals moving around unobserved and undetected but if needs be, at least placing them on the back foot if a confrontation should occur. Colmcille I don't want to get into a dog debate here other than to state, for the benefit of those that may not be aware, guard dogs (not a dog accompanied by an owner/handler but rather as suggested, roaming in the area the criminals entered) are easily dealt with using non lethal methods in certain circumstances and it's simple but I'm sure you know this. I suspect you know how to use a dog to deflect a threat. Disregarding service dogs, average homeowner guard dogs are best kept inside buildings or in an area where criminals can't get to them easily until they've raised the alarm. Dogs are probably the single most effective crime deterrent for homeowners in the right circumstances and your Shepherd sounds like one of them.
Before the advent of LED lighting I would never have written my post above but LED opens up new possibilities and security service providers should keep an open mind. I can stare at a 400 watt halogen or sodium lamp from a distance and not get too distressed. I cannot do the same to an 80 watt LED from the same distance.

Last edited:

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good lighting (in the conventional sense) is not a crime deterrent. Have a look at the video above and many other very informative videos posted by the same person. Show me one where criminals avoid well lit areas. Good lighting is used by the perps recorded above to effectively carry out their mission.
I think the point being missed is the effect LED light has on the retina as opposed to current conventional lighting sources. High up LEDs are just as useless as conventional light sources but low down, positioned so that they have to be looked at to progress toward a target they are very effective. I keep an open mind when confronting security issues and have learnt a lot especially once I realised I hadn't seen it all.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Good lighting doesn't prevent crime, it reduces it. It's a poor inference to go from "crime can occur in well lit areas" to "good lighting is completely useless". Even Jenny McCarthy could probably figure that one out.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
lets be realistic light does not prevent crime if it did there wouldn't be crime during the day murders, robberies etc etc. at night lighting means nothing to criminals the majority of people are sleeping or not very alert due to human nature of resting at night. I don't even believe it reduces crime to be honest. when a criminal gets that bug in his ass nothing stops them...

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a warehouse that we monitor. We only had these cameras in place for about a week or two, when this incident took place. You can see that they needed to be adjusted away from the walls of the building. They were adjusted properly after this incident took place. These are 3 or 4MP Dahua bullets recording in full resolution.

I hope they all get shot in the face one day, thieves are the lowest form of scum on the earth next to killers.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
lets be realistic light does not prevent crime if it did there wouldn't be crime during the day murders, robberies etc etc. at night lighting means nothing to criminals the majority of people are sleeping or not very alert due to human nature of resting at night. I don't even believe it reduces crime to be honest. when a criminal gets that bug in his ass nothing stops them...
Except a bullet in the chest. I will say as someone who owns a few tactical and hand held lights that can go up to 800 lumens, a few very tiny lights, we're talking an inch in diameter at head level could mess up someone's vision pretty good, and if they looked directly into the light leave a colored spot in their vision, flashing bright LED lights are even more disorienting and if it kept flashing non stop would make it very difficult to do much of anything except try to run away. Though that might be thwarted by sun glasses, I wear glasses so I don't have any to test with lol. Security is an onion though, the more layers you have, the longer, more effort, more risk, the less likely a criminal is to try to follow through, or even try to begin with. I think outdoor lighting let's them see, but also let's my cameras see them, and me see them if I come out weapon drawn. I do have lights on ALL of my self defense weapons though just in case.

Bradmph

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Light can draw a thief in like a moth. Strangely also, criminals or car prowlers love to look right at the light too. My new light post on my lawn gets more face shots then picture day at the DMV. It strikes me funny, even some with hoodies can't resist a look at the light. I have 1700 irritating lumens going and if they made a bug zapper that could fit a human, I bet it would have our neighborhood prowler free, lol.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Light can draw a thief in like a moth. Strangely also, criminals or car prowlers love to look right at the light too. My new light post on my lawn gets more face shots then picture day at the DMV. It strikes me funny, even some with hoodies can't resist a look at the light. I have 1700 irritating lumens going and if they made a bug zapper that could fit a human, I bet it would have our neighborhood prowler free, lol.
That's awesome and a great tactic, i've seen other people even use strobe lights when their cameras trigger to get the person to look over at it. I'm not sure how the strobing effects the shot but I guess it must work, I'll have to try it with one of my really bright flashlights. I think you are definitely better off with light than no light, it makes what they are doing visible and it's much better if you plan to confront them if you can see where they are, how many they are, are they armed, etc. At least until you decide to buy yourself some night vision goggles, then I wouldn't have any lights, haha.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In situations such as the video above (assuming the premises housed high value goods and a simple next layer is needed) and wanting to disrupt any further attempts at access I would flush set an 80 watt (<5000 lumens) LED floodlight into each door / window at chest or face level where access is possible. I'd screw (tamper proof) a flush lexan cover over the installation to deter or delay vandalism of the fitting and control it through a local PIR especially if energy or light pollution is a requirement and the surprise factor when it lights from an unexpected (for the thief) angle is good. Set to strobe is also an option but one has to bear in mind the possibility of an innocent person (and therefore liability) being affected and something like an epileptic fit being triggered. Of course if the perp knows the layout and gets familiar with such lights they can be defeated using a can of spray paint or cardboard with double sided tape but it's about disrupting their carefully laid plans. At some point hopefully good video images will have been captured, ideally from the same vantage point as the light. Well trained criminals wear masks and don't really care if they are recorded as they limit their time on premises if they are unsure if they have tripped an alarm.

Overtly placed cameras are good (as a general deterrent) but cleverly concealed cameras are best for getting decent pictures for forensic use as the images are of an unguarded subject. I've got full facials of balaclava wearing criminals who removed them when they thought they were out of view. I've also recorded criminals climbing past the camera unaware of its location, even trying to get a toehold in the aperture. Thermal cameras at chest level that have been in place for five years and criminal traffic passing by within feet providing early warning of approaches via a rural path. I also have recordings of criminals taking out one of my hidden cameras with a pellet gun when the position was inadvertently revealed by a response officer so we can't win them all. (Not my home but a community network).

Last edited: