attempted warehouse burglary

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In situations such as the video above (assuming the premises housed high value goods and a simple next layer is needed) and wanting to disrupt any further attempts at access I would flush set an 80 watt (<5000 lumens) LED floodlight into each door / window at chest or face level where access is possible. I'd screw (tamper proof) a flush lexan cover over the installation to deter or delay vandalism of the fitting and control it through a local PIR especially if energy or light pollution is a requirement and the surprise factor when it lights from an unexpected (for the thief) angle is good. Set to strobe is also an option but one has to bear in mind the possibility of an innocent person (and therefore liability) being affected and something like an epileptic fit being triggered. Of course if the perp knows the layout and gets familiar with such lights they can be defeated using a can of spray paint or cardboard with double sided tape but it's about disrupting their carefully laid plans. At some point hopefully good video images will have been captured, ideally from the same vantage point as the light. Well trained criminals wear masks and don't really care if they are recorded as they limit their time on premises if they are unsure if they have tripped an alarm.

Overtly placed cameras are good (as a general deterrent) but cleverly concealed cameras are best for getting decent pictures for forensic use as the images are of an unguarded subject. I've got full facials of balaclava wearing criminals who removed them when they thought they were out of view. I've also recorded criminals climbing past the camera unaware of its location, even trying to get a toehold in the aperture. Thermal cameras at chest level that have been in place for five years and criminal traffic passing by within feet providing early warning of approaches via a rural path. I also have recordings of criminals taking out one of my hidden cameras with a pellet gun when the position was inadvertently revealed by a response officer so we can't win them all. (Not my home but a community network).
oh god, where do you come up with this crap? You watch way too much tv.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's awesome and a great tactic, i've seen other people even use strobe lights when their cameras trigger to get the person to look over at it. I'm not sure how the strobing effects the shot but I guess it must work, I'll have to try it with one of my really bright flashlights. I think you are definitely better off with light than no light, it makes what they are doing visible and it's much better if you plan to confront them if you can see where they are, how many they are, are they armed, etc. At least until you decide to buy yourself some night vision goggles, then I wouldn't have any lights, haha.
Bad move to go outside your castle to confront them. It can end badly legally, and life longevity. Don't let your ego and testosterone get the best of you. Call the police, and be prepared if they decide to breach your castle. Flame away. :)

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
In situations such as the video above (assuming the premises housed high value goods and a simple next layer is needed) and wanting to disrupt any further attempts at access I would flush set an 80 watt (<5000 lumens) LED floodlight into each door / window at chest or face level where access is possible. I'd screw (tamper proof) a flush lexan cover over the installation to deter or delay vandalism of the fitting and control it through a local PIR especially if energy or light pollution is a requirement and the surprise factor when it lights from an unexpected (for the thief) angle is good. Set to strobe is also an option but one has to bear in mind the possibility of an innocent person (and therefore liability) being affected and something like an epileptic fit being triggered. Of course if the perp knows the layout and gets familiar with such lights they can be defeated using a can of spray paint or cardboard with double sided tape but it's about disrupting their carefully laid plans. At some point hopefully good video images will have been captured, ideally from the same vantage point as the light. Well trained criminals wear masks and don't really care if they are recorded as they limit their time on premises if they are unsure if they have tripped an alarm.

Overtly placed cameras are good (as a general deterrent) but cleverly concealed cameras are best for getting decent pictures for forensic use as the images are of an unguarded subject. I've got full facials of balaclava wearing criminals who removed them when they thought they were out of view. I've also recorded criminals climbing past the camera unaware of its location, even trying to get a toehold in the aperture. Thermal cameras at chest level that have been in place for five years and criminal traffic passing by within feet providing early warning of approaches via a rural path. I also have recordings of criminals taking out one of my hidden cameras with a pellet gun when the position was inadvertently revealed by a response officer so we can't win them all. (Not my home but a community network).
I'd be interested to hear more about your setup, it sounds pretty awesome.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Bad move to go outside your castle to confront them. It can end badly legally, and life longevity. Don't let your ego and testosterone get the best of you. Call the police, and be prepared if they decide to breach your castle. Flame away. :)
Well yes, but every situation is different.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well yes, but every situation is different.
Of course it is, but in general there is rarely a reason to go outside to confront unknown individuals. Too many variables. You have insurance right? Let the insurance take care of anything they take or destroy. Your life, job, or legal bills or your family's security isn't worth it over "stuff".

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman can you be more helpful. I asked for some specifics and all you've done is call b'shit and appealed to God. Oh wait I see you're referring to me as god, I see the difference. Seriously give me a few pointers on the light scenario rather than personal attacks.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear more about your setup, it sounds pretty awesome.
I've only demonstrated the concept at my home with 80 watt floods at chest level through my house windows and the reaction in every case was surprise at the level of night blindness delivered. I only tumbled to the idea when substituting sodium lamps with LED floods, to cut electricity bills, on a secure estate when I had to work on a lit unit at night at the top of a six meter pole and found it impossible. Subsequently I mounted an LED flood at eye level opposite an area where the fence was being cut through, not unlike in the video above except they would be cutting to enter the premises. No fence cuts since October last year at that point. The people that I'm trying to exclude are home invaders that are generally armed with knives, pangas and occasionally guns, run as a group of three to five late teen males invariably on drugs otherwise bush war vets also in groups of three to five. They operate at night because they prefer residents to be home when they enter. I can guarantee Fenderman that none of the above was seen on TV by me although I did make a 40 minute documentary about it so, TV yes, but in front of the lens.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman can you be more helpful. I asked for some specifics and all you've done is call b'shit and appealed to God. Oh wait I see you're referring to me as god, I see the difference. Seriously give me a few pointers on the light scenario rather than personal attacks.
its self explanatory....the fact that you need explanation speaks volumes.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I've only demonstrated the concept at my home with 80 watt floods at chest level through my house windows and the reaction in every case was surprise at the level of night blindness delivered. I only tumbled to the idea when substituting sodium lamps with LED floods, to cut electricity bills, on a secure estate when I had to work on a lit unit at night at the top of a six meter pole and found it impossible. Subsequently I mounted an LED flood at eye level opposite an area where the fence was being cut through, not unlike in the video above except they would be cutting to enter the premises. No fence cuts since October last year at that point. The people that I'm trying to exclude are home invaders that are generally armed with knives, pangas and occasionally guns, run as a group of three to five late teen males invariably on drugs otherwise bush war vets also in groups of three to five. They operate at night because they prefer residents to be home when they enter. I can guarantee Fenderman that none of the above was seen on TV by me although I did make a 40 minute documentary about it so, TV yes, but in front of the lens.
3-5? Glad I've got an AR with 30 round mags, those fools better not break into the wrong house, it may be their last.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Once one of them get hold of a family member or pet it's their call. Again not something I saw on TV. They do get shot occasionally but it's the exception.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
secops fail.

Ive got killbots w/rpg's and chainsaws... just incase anyone was wondering.
You joke, but what got me into cameras was my house getting broken into, that was in a crappy part of town I have been away from for some years but I was really considering the legality of some sort of remote controlled weapons with cameras attached lol.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Good lighting is not a crime deterrent, it's an asset used by criminals. Innovative lighting may be a deterrent. Even at relatively low wattages LED lights irritate the retina and badly affect night vision. Mount LED flood lights at chest level (High up is to their advantage) and ruin the stealth capability if the intruder. Sure they can be vandalised but at that point good images should have been captured and an alarm raised.

In a domestic situation where risk of violent home invasion is a reality a 40-80 watt flood shining out of a window from inside the home makes it very difficult for an intruder to see what he is doing and indeed he wont know if someone is behind the light watching him. The light should be activated by a concealed garden beam or similar. LED's can be incorporated in such a way to have a limited visual impact on the home aesthetics. Once 'zapped' by a bright LED, night blindness is a significant deterrent to criminals placing them on the back foot.
We don't really care if a customer puts up lights or not. An area such as this in the middle of an industrial park could have all the lighting in the world, but if there is no one around to see them, what difference does it make. These guys often take a break in the darker areas where there are no lights. This is where good IR comes in handy.

MakoMillenium

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We don't really care if a customer puts up lights or not. An area such as this in the middle of an industrial park could have all the lighting in the world, but if there is no one around to see them, what difference does it make. These guys often take a break in the darker areas where there are no lights. This is where good IR comes in handy.
god here :) Which takes me back to my original statement that good lighting is not a crime deterrent. The fact that they take a break in the shadows tells me they are using the light to scope out their next move and /or maybe see if any response has arrived on scene.