Back with nagging network problem!!

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Every so often I come home network is down, Normally a quick reboot on router ,modem and switch fixes but tonight not so lucky.. Using comcast Cisco Model DPC3008, Asus rtn66u , Tplink TL-SG108 8 port switch. I have removed the asus .. I am running from Cisco to Tp-link out to all pc's .. For the life of me I can not figure out why my 4 Window 7 pc's will not connect to internet!! My one window 8 pc is working fine. Have rebooted all W7 Pc's .. they seem to be stuck at an strange ip. Can the switch be causing this? I plug the W7 pc's in to cisco and the will connect after a few reboot and adapter resets! Pulling hair out..
[h=1][/h]

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple, your cisco device is a modem only, cannot connect it directly to a switch, you need the router.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct.

WWW Internet > Comcast Modem > WAN PORT ON Asus Router

ASUS router hands out IP addresses within the LAN and coordinates communication internally and to the outside.

The 3-4 open ports on the ASUS router are there for ethernet connection to computers directly or additional switches.
The latter which do no routing or IP addressing, they're just passthrough (for the most part)

As for why sometimes you come home and the network is down?

Could be comcast issue, could be modem issue, could be router issue, or combination thereof. I have to reset my modem about once a month, when for no apparent reason I can't connect to the internet. Comes back on in a couple minutes with same WAN IP address and live internet.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok that makes sense.. Been having this problem ever since I Had a power surge that blew out many items here. Since then added combination with comcast gateway's not going into bridge mode (conflicting with asus) and this I have been pulling my hair out.!!! Finally comcast straighten me out by just letting me have a modem. But still have this nagging problem.. I think the only component not changed yet is my Asus router.. Replaced modem and switch . Found port #2 not working on asus, Maybe it got damage some how in surge.. I just put my older linksys back in .. online with everything now... Network map is Cisco-to linksys router-to tplink switch-to feed home. I will leave linksys router in for awhile to see what happens..

Not sure what you mean on the asus 3-4 port vs port 1-2?? I thought they are all the same? Does the Asus Get hot to touch? its very warm!

I was thinking my second router was causing the conflict..Not properly set up. Using ip 192.168.1.2

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The lan ports are all the same, he just meant that the 3 or 4 ports that are available...
If you have a dead port there is a good chance there is something wrong with the router...is it still in warranty? if not check your credit card for extended warranty coverage.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I Double checked the wiring to router, swapped Asus back in and no internet!!!! Finally think I have found the culprit! Normally buy the time I get done unplugging and power cycling things comeback to life! I was never able to pinpoint which component caused the network to go down.
Tonight when I got home I had local network , camera's in BI still up and running , no internet, then I would power cycle and everything would be down..

I need a better plan to diagnose!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you need to ensure that the modem is power cycled so that it can properly connect to the asus, you cannot just swap routers without power cycling the modem...

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I would P/C modem and switch then hook up the router.. I am sure in my panic I have forgot that at times!! LOL Tonight I did not..

Off topic: But curious!
Any thoughts on why win8 would connect before win7 pc's? That has me puzzled from awhile ago even with my super fancy modems comcast was giving me.. I had the comcast guy here with the cisco Model dcp3939 connect w8 pc in connects , connect w7 pc nothing. restarted it . we are connecting these one at a time.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I indeed meant to say the 3 or 4 open ports in the back are there to connect any additional lan hardware. The typical router has 4, but there's been exceptions.

Power surges can do unrepeatable and visually unperceptable things to electronics, happening at once or over prolonged exposure. Unfortunately the router could be toasted.

Once I started living in the lightning capital, I got pretty religious about surge arresting, battery backup, and then voltage regulation. Very common to have fluctuations when AC or other equipment kicks on. Anyway, I always suggest to people to run any important electronics on a uninterrupted power supply with automatic voltage regulation. I've got a bunch of those around, because we have a lot of "micro outages" (1-2 secs no power) on the grid.

I wouldn't guess why win8 would connect fine and win7 wouldn't. Win8 does things a little different. I scratch my head often enough with how MS does things.
Are all those pcs hardwired? Do they have static IPs or dynamic via DHCP?

Hardwired and with a static IP gives the least headaches.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alot of times if you go no router only the first device that manages to send a dhcp request will get it; they dont want you using more than 1 routed IP.. you'd have to reset modem and then the next device to send a DHCP request would get it.

any wires that come into your house from the outside should have surge protection on them, even IPCams if they are at all exposed..

This is what I put on my comcast service entry, it replaced there crappy lil grounding block: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016AIYU6/
And I use something like this for my Sprinkler Controller/Outdoor WiFi, my IPCams are not but they are not physically exposed yet still grounded properly. You try to put this outside before it enters the house and attach it directly to a grounding rod for best results: http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Ethernet-Protector-Gigabit-1000Mbs/dp/B008060BU0/
A Whole house Surge Protector is worth looking into if you dont have an antique breaker box.

Colorado is a runner up for title of lightning capitol, its definitely the #1 weather killer out here, I lost alot of equipment in Kansas from lighting before I could afford adequate protection.. with it in place Ive had dramatically better luck <knocks on wood>

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see. Like when you're connecting a single system directly to the modem. I misunderstood that part ... I thought he had the comcast guy out there, all three boxes hooked up properly and only the win8 system would go online.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
back in the day you used to be able to create a few virtual interfaces on your router and get a few extra routable IP's if you wanted to run more than 1 service on standard ports; with the crunch for IP's and some unlucky people not even getting routed ones (HugesNet) anymore that time has long since passed.. but back then they didnt give you a router or even a firewall so everyone's machines were getting hacked left and right.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Icerabbit I am all hardwired and use dhcp (that assigns automatically,I think) setting all to static and assigning ip might be over my head.

Nayr I should looking into that stuff! the outdoor one would of saved my 2 cameras and router in barn. In the home I lost switch,modem,light bulbs,video card (very strange I thought),power/transformer for electric fencing, a few other small electric stuff

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Note, it isn't just lightning that kills stuff. I'm aware of instances where a drunk driver hit a distribution cabinet or power pole and things went popping in the neighborhood.

It might be worthwile to set static IPs on all devices, to avoid devices grabbing an IP that something else was already using when you power cycle, leases expire, etc.

This guide may help (and avoids me long typing and me omitting something ;) )

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/?PageSpeed=noscript

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
manually assigning static's is fine for small networks of a dozen or so devices..

Ive noticed my Dahuas if left off the network for very long give up there old lease and get a new one; made me scratch my head when i took it off bench, installed it outside and then it was not responding anymore.. sigh. If your router is advanced enough it'll let you assign static DHCP IP's and that tells the server only give this IP to this MAC; allowing you to keep the easy dhcp config and never worry about it moving.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After I get my asus router back I will give it a try!. It should be under warranty still.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Crossing fingers you get that sorted out in your favor, and they send you a replacement without hassle.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
warranty covers manufacturer defects; if there is visible electrical damage they may decide not to honor the warranty.. because an electronic discharge is not within published specs.

if you lost enough equipment this usually qualifies for a homeowners claim.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried a claim but to high of deductible. Worst case have to by a new router. I don't think I will get the model I bought last time.