Best cheap NVR for Hik cams with good iPhone/iPad support?

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to IP Cam Talk and IP cams in general, but quite well versed in networking in general. I just bought a HikVision DS-2CD2532F-IS for my first camera, to cover the front door, and I'm quite pleased with the quality I'm seeing while testing it out. I hope to run the final wiring this weekend and get it set in place. I like it so much, in fact, that I'm probably going to add 1-2 more HikVision cameras to cover more of my home's exterior. (I'm using a simple single POE injector for now but if I add more I assume I'll want to do a POE switch or POE-enabled NVR) Currently I'm using the Hik-recommended free apps on my iPhone to check in on the camera and review footage (recorded to an on-board 32gb mini-SD card). I think I can use the same software if I add a couple more cameras, too, but it seems like an actual NVR might be more handy if I'm using more than the one camera. An NVR would let me connect to the TV, as well, making viewing the camera(s) a single click of the remote away for her (not that bringing up the iPad app is that hard). I see lots of inexpensive NVR options on Amazon, but most seem to top out at 2mp and I'd like to get the most from these 3mp cameras... plus many complain of issues using anything other than Internet Explorer and I prefer different browsers (and my wife mostly uses her Mac so Mac compatibility would be good). Amazon offers the Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P for $369 which seems excellent (and supports Hik cams perfectly at 3mp), but it's more channels than I need and more money than I'd like to spend. Are there any good, inexpensive options that are wife-friendly, and that also work with iPhones and iPads for monitoring (and occasional playback)? It would likely be in the master bedroom (connected to that TV) so something small and quiet would be important. Thanks for any tips!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Amazon tends to be pretty expensive for those items.
If you want to save some money and are willing to live with limited after-sales support, you can get cheaper on Aliexpress. The marketplace is safe enough with good buyer protection - though I don't use my normal credit card.
I just bought this 16 channel non-PoE NVR for the equivalent of $137 plus shipping:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hikvision-NVR-16CH-Network-Video-Recorder-HDMI-NVR-Up-to-6MP-5MP-3MP-1000M-Engineering-project/2041536563.html
Or there is this 8 channel for $111 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-7808N-E2/1021839_2042371222.html
Or the 8 channel PoE model for $172 http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Hikvision-NVR-8CH-Plug-Play-POE-8-network-interface-2-SATA-HDD-4TB-each-Up-to/1021839_2041537554.html
And plenty more products here: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/tGfQsyC

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi kkp

I like it so much, in fact, that I'm probably going to add 1-2 more HikVision cameras to cover more of my home's exterior.
And thats what most of us said...

After adding the extra 2 to the existing one you will say that your life is now complete and you can be well smug with your success, but after a day or so you will realize that you really really really need 2 more cams... you won't be able to sleep until you have spanked the credit card and installed them

The above was just to confirm why alastairstevenson suggests starting with 8 channel rather than a 4 (like what I got first) ho hum

So either a 7608 or 7808, if its going to be installed where you can run the cables directly to the cams and cant hear the fan then for ease of installation get a POE version.

Are there any good, inexpensive options that are wife-friendly, and that also work with iPhones and iPads for monitoring
Yes, there are Hikvision apps and they are free :cool:

It would likely be in the master bedroom (connected to that TV) so something small and quiet would be important.
Huston we have a problem... find a different location, apart from cables to all the cams and any fan noise from a POE version if your wife is like mine she can hear the HDD writing, lol

Connecting to the TV is ok using either the VGA or HDMI output (also connect a wired or wireless mouse and you can set it up using the bedroom TV as a monitor)

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cheap 7108, a bit more 7808, a bit more still 7608

All very good value and easy to Make multilingual with a new firmware, with 7108 from $125 delivered from Aliexpress.

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
LOL I hear ya, guys, sounds like I'll need to be wary of MCS (multiple camera syndrome), the symptoms of which I am familiar with from other hobbies. ;)

Fortunately for my credit card, I'm strongly against any camera monitoring the interior of my house, so the current front camera (which covers the driveway and front street as well), plus one for the back yard and one on each side really is as much as I can ever see adding.

I do see the wisdom of buying 8 channels vs. 4 anyway, however, especially at the lower prices.

So either a 7608 or 7808, if its going to be installed where you can run the cables directly to the cams and cant hear the fan then for ease of installation get a POE version.
<snip>
Huston we have a problem... find a different location, apart from cables to all the cams and any fan noise from a POE version if your wife is like mine she can hear the HDD writing, lol
I have a shelf running along the ceiling in the front our bedroom which is where all of the MBR's AV gear is located, including a DVR which writes frequently (and audibly). No fans, however, or at least they're very quiet. It's a very convenient location for all this gear, and has a switch hardwired to the house's gigabit network already in place. No problems with any of that.

So I'm not really worried about wires, or about disk-writing noise, just fan noise. If I buy a fan-less switch with 4 POE ports (like this TP Link unit I saw recommended in another thread, for instance) and the 8-channel non-POE NVR alastair linked above, I would think the only noise would be the hard drive(s), right? And then the video output can just jack directly into my AV Receiver to view on the TV.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that this model:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-7808N-E2/1021839_2042371222.html

... the HikVision DS-7808N-E2? I can't see the complete model number anywhere in the rather spectacularly bad English of the ad's text. Great price at $111, though (plus $40 shipping), although it looks like it takes a month to arrive.

But if I'm not mistaken, this is the non-POE 7808 so it should be on the quieter side compared to POE versions when paired with a fan-less POE switch. (I should have no problems modifying the power supply fan, if needed, as discussed in this thread)

Or am I wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that this model:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DS-7808N-E2/1021839_2042371222.html

... the HikVision DS-7808N-E2? I can't see the complete model number anywhere in the rather spectacularly bad English of the ad's text. Great price at $111, though (plus $40 shipping), although it looks like it takes a month to arrive.

But if I'm not mistaken, this is the non-POE 7808 so it should be on the quieter side compared to POE versions when paired with a fan-less POE switch. (I should have no problems modifying the power supply fan, if needed, as discussed in this thread)

Or am I wrong?
There have been reports of that seller CSST shipping bad cameras (cameras loop until you downgrade firmware)..i would buy from cctv china..

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
There have been reports of that seller CSST shipping bad cameras (cameras loop until you downgrade firmware)..i would buy from cctv china..
Do you by chance have a link? Google wasn't helpful and I don't see a way to select a seller on AliExpress... I was just using the links Alastair provided initially.

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Jqp53Ou[/QUOTE] Thanks! I'll keep this info handy, as a known-good seller is definitely invaluable. It looks like they only carry the POE versions of the 7800 series NVRs, though, unless I'm missing something. :/ Is it just the cameras that were bad from CSST? Alastair mentioned them as being pretty good in this thread: [url]http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1679-Difference-between-Hikvision-76xx-and-78xx-series (and provided the links above). If they're definitely not a good risk, though, I don't want to buy from them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'll keep this info handy, as a known-good seller is definitely invaluable.

It looks like they only carry the POE versions of the 7800 series NVRs, though, unless I'm missing something. :/

Is it just the cameras that were bad from CSST? Alastair mentioned them as being pretty good in this thread: http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/1679-Difference-between-Hikvision-76xx-and-78xx-series (and provided the links above). If they're definitely not a good risk, though, I don't want to buy from them.
I have no idea..china is always a risk...you can email them and see if they have the model you want...or just go with csst - the NVR's maybe ok, they may have rectified their camera issue as well - i dont know...

kkp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! I need to get my main camera install finished (been too swamped at work, so no energy left for mucking about in the attic) first, but once it's in I'll begin the negotiations with the wife to add a couple more. :) Once more cameras are in hand, then it'll be an easier argument to convince her to get the HikVision NVR, especially at the lower price.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A word of caution regarding "CSST wholesale market China (chenchen yang) (Mainland)", please stop and read this post before ordering anything from this company.

Last edited by a moderator:

ender77

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and IP cameras in general. I plan on installing a 8 channel IP camera CCTV system for home protection.
I plan on using Hikvision 2132F-IS cameras for the install.

I'd like to get help on selecting a suitable NVR. I have read that many NVR's are vulnerable to internet hacking - Hikvision and other companies being named specifically and am wary of buying an NVR from these companies.

Therefore, I am looking at the Clearview Phoenix-08HP NVR - 8 channel model as the company states that it has been engineered to be safer against hacking.
However, this NVR retails for $1399.95 at tigerdirect.com and is a 2013 model.

Is this NVR a good value? Or is this another NVR that is just as good/secure but more inexpensive?

I plan on avoiding Aliexpress - sounds like it's not worth the hassle if anything goes wrong...

ender77

n3wb
Reaction score
Specifications.

Channels8
Video FormatH.264
Recording Resolution1080p
Recording ModesManual, Schedule(Regular(Continuous), MD, Alarm), Stop
Video Input8x POE
Video Out1x HDMI, 1x VGA
Hard Drives Included1x 1TB
Alarm Inputs8
Alarm Outputs3
BackupNetwork, USB
PortsHDMI, RJ45 (Ethernet), USB, VGA, Alarm

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and IP cameras in general. I plan on installing a 8 channel IP camera CCTV system for home protection.
I plan on using Hikvision 2132F-IS cameras for the install.

I'd like to get help on selecting a suitable NVR. I have read that many NVR's are vulnerable to internet hacking - Hikvision and other companies being named specifically and am wary of buying an NVR from these companies.

Therefore, I am looking at the Clearview Phoenix-08HP NVR - 8 channel model as the company states that it has been engineered to be safer against hacking.
However, this NVR retails for $1399.95 at tigerdirect.com and is a 2013 model.

Is this NVR a good value? Or is this another NVR that is just as good/secure but more inexpensive?

I plan on avoiding Aliexpress - sounds like it's not worth the hassle if anything goes wrong...
There is no reason to assume that the clearview NVR will be any more secure than the hikvision...buy a legitamate hikvision NVR and you will be privy to all the security updates. I would not pay double/tripple for an nvr based on the perception that its more secure...
Any device exposed to the internet is hackable...You can setup a vpn to avoid port forwarding your NVR...
If you choose to port forward with the NVR..do not forward the http port or rtsp...with hikvision you can forward the media port only..this eliminates most of the common threats out there.
The clearview NVR's appear to be rebranded dahua NVR's...you can get those for a fraction of what tiger is selling the clearviews for..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score