BI general Help

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With is setting in the pic i am still get over 300 false positive every night is there anything else i can do to stop this ?20170520_110141.jpg

Can some please tell me what else two thing mean plz

20170520_124753.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Settings are all wrong... read the help file... don't use hotspot...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
99.999999999999% of the time the help file will help you find your way. The settings on your first photo are way whacked out. My make time isn't above 1.0 at night. That seems to filter out bugs or ir reflection off of rain. Do not use hot spots at all. Not in front of my system right now but there is a scene reset % setting. If a car drives by at night or major sun/ cloud days it resets the trigger instead of tripping it.

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thank you did not know about the help file

Reaction score
Wait... what's wrong with hotspots? I don't use them as hotspots per se, but I do use the feature to block out a few areas where I don't want motion to trigger an alert. My cameras are continuously recording though, so maybe that's why I've not seen an issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait... what's wrong with hotspots? I don't use them as hotspots per se, but I do use the feature to block out a few areas where I don't want motion to trigger an alert. My cameras are continuously recording though, so maybe that's why I've not seen an issue?
That is not what hotspot is...hotspot makes the area super sensitive...see help file

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hotspots bypass any scrutinizing over rules and throws a trigger. You mean masking?

Reaction score
Ok...

I think you need to read the help file. You can set it up so that one particular zone makes the system more "sensitive" but on the flip side, you can also set it to ignore a particular area. It literally describes the use in the help file.

So, can anyone answer my question, what's wrong with hotspots? The only thing I can think of is it may make you prone to missing something or increases CPU usage...

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you put a hotspot up it will trip on anything and everything. Clouds, rain, bugs, etc. When I set mine up I am tweaking to weed out as much crap as possible while still being reliable for human detection. Hotspots will trip on a light kicking on outside, a moth, spider web, etc. You will already be fighting to avoid those annoying aspects of motion detection. Hotspot just makes it impossible to filter those out.

Reaction score
Hotspots bypass any scrutinizing over rules and throws a trigger. You mean masking?
Yes, but really are you being that pedantic? The feature in the BI interface is shown as "zones and hotspots," in the help file it's titled "Zones and Hot Spot" the verbiage "masking" isn't used anywhere but as a sub-title later in the section.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes. If you are relying on BI to protect your family and valuables you need to test and test and test. And when you think you have it right you get a day where the sun changes the view so drastic that it drives you nuts with false triggers. It's not a one day job. Use the feature that lets you see what BI is tripping on with footage you already have. Either that or you will start ignoring the alerts you receive because you won't trust the trigger.

Reaction score
If you put a hotspot up it will trip on anything and everything. Clouds, rain, bugs, etc. When I set mine up I am tweaking to weed out as much crap as possible while still being reliable for human detection. Hotspots will trip on a light kicking on outside, a moth, spider web, etc. You will already be fighting to avoid those annoying aspects of motion detection. Hotspot just makes it impossible to filter those out.
Ok, I guess we are being that pedantic "Hotspot" zones as you describe them are only those which are in red. Per the help file:

"Zones A-G are shown in green, while zone H is shown in red because it's the "hotspot" zone."

So yes, what I am describing is using the zones and hotspot feature to mask off an area that is of no interest or is likely to cause too many false alerts.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anything that has no "green or red" "is masked". The feature lets you draw over what you want masked. Then invert it will leave it with no green or red and be masked.

tdwilli1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I guess we are being that pedantic "Hotspot" zones as you describe them are only those which are in red. Per the help file:

"Zones A-G are shown in green, while zone H is shown in red because it's the "hotspot" zone."

So yes, what I am describing is using the zones and hotspot feature to mask off an area that is of no interest or is likely to cause too many false alerts.
That's what I am doing also. I mask out some bamboo that will set off the detector in moderate winds and I don't get any alerts on Cloud/Sun changes so it is not giving me any false alerts.

Reaction score
Yes. If you are relying on BI to protect your family and valuables you need to test and test and test. And when you think you have it right you get a day where the sun changes the view so drastic that it drives you nuts with false triggers. It's not a one day job. Use the feature that lets you see what BI is tripping on with footage you already have. Either that or you will start ignoring the alerts you receive because you won't trust the trigger.
Is talking down to people your thing?

Allow me to quote myself: "My cameras are continuously recording."

I only use alerts to quickly review footage.

My mistake was reading "don't use hot spots" and hearing "don't use the feature" which is why I asked my original question. Because I was curious if there was something with the feature in general that caused issues. I made it clear in my original post that I understood the implication of relying on hot spots to capture footage.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm sorry you took me as talking down to you. I'm sitting here putting a roof on my brother in laws house trying to help you.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe the "Hotspot" feature is for INDOOR use mostly anyway. For example a store owner would have a hotspot on the cash register, or safe.

Reaction score
I'm sorry you took me as talking down to you. I'm sitting here putting a roof on my brother in laws house trying to help you.
While I can appreciate the effort, you didn't actually answer my question but repeated information I said I already knew.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While I can appreciate the effort, you didn't actually answer my question but repeated information I said I already knew.
you keep misusing the hotspot term..hotspot is one thing and one thing only as explained in the help file..its zone H and will make that area super sensitive and should not be used with alerts or you will get tons of false positives as the help file points out....the only way the OP is getting false alerts with his poor settings is because he is using the hotspot.

Reaction score
you keep misusing the hotpost term..hotspot is one thing and one thing only as explained in the help file..its zone H and will make that area super sensitive and should not be used with alerts or you will get tons of false positives as the help file points out....
Jesus-H-Christ, really?

For someone so concerned with what other people are and are not reading, you sure are lacking yourself...

Allow me once again to quote myself: "My mistake was reading "don't use hot spots" and hearing "don't use the feature" which is why I asked my original question. Because I was curious if there was something with the feature in general that caused issues. I made it clear in my original post that I understood the implication of relying on hot spots to capture footage."

To be clear, in the UI the feature is "zones and hot spot" not "zones and hot spot and masking." and in any case in my original question I think I was clear that I was referring to masking and not hot spots per se. Clearly you were just primed to jump down someone's throught nad tell tehm they were wrong.

"Wait... what's wrong with hotspots? I don't use them as hotspots per se, but I do use the feature to block out a few areas where I don't want motion to trigger an alert. My cameras are continuously recording though, so maybe that's why I've not seen an issue?"