BI general Help

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As for the vacation I had a friend slip by and remove my ip's I had set in web server and reboot. Back up in a jiffy.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When using zones the area's not covered by zones are masked. So if you setup zone A and B and the A-B command in the settings the object must travel from A-B or B-A to trip.
Thats what i thought i did. I saved screen shots in previous message. B and C should be active zones but not sure if thats what i actually did. When u get a moment, please take a look or when u are back. Thanks

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry. Was viewing from my phone. Sometimes I miss things on it. My zones are much more thick. Try fattening them up. I will post up examples Friday evening when I get home.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry. Was viewing from my phone. Sometimes I miss things on it. My zones are much more thick. Try fattening them up. I will post up examples Friday evening when I get home.
Thanks for replying when u are on vacation. No hurry, thanks.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sensitivity settings are just 1 part of setting up motion/trigger.

The other settings to consider are....
- Min Duration. (Motion must exists at least this time)
- Object Detection/Object Travels. (Motion must travel at least this distance)
- Cancel shadows (Actually works).
- Black & White (See help)
- High Definition (See help)
- Algorithm. (See help)

I have Min Duration of .2
Object travels of 60 to 75
Cancel shadows, Hi def. Sometimes B&W, sometimes switch Algorithms.

I've found that this stops most triggers from insects/birds.

It took me a long time of fiddling around with the various combinations before hitting on what I think works for me. Large learning curve.

If an object travels across the field of the camera, especially close, like a bird, cat, dog... there's not much you can do about it. I found if I set sensitivity to not trigger on these, then sometimes larger motions will not trigger. Better safe than sorry.
(It's amazing how many cats there are running around at night in my area!)

Last week my cameras caught a half naked guy with his pants unzipped and half off running thru the neighborhood just past mid. The cops must have been looking for him cuz there were 3 Sheriff cars that were out. The guy stopped in the street and started throwing rocks at passing cars. wth! He must have been stoned. They stopped him, gave him a sobriety test, that arrested him. I accidentally saw this on my cameras when reviewing for something else a few days later.

Hey! This forum should have an area for weird things caught on cameras! Might be funny.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Mike.in.Minnesota
Thanks for suggestions. Yes the alerts are quite frankly frustrating. Most of my false alarms are shadows, and changing sun patterns. In fact in one of the front walk cams, a person walking is not caught but the tree shadow is!! Yes the learning curve does seem steep.

I noticed you have min duration of 0.2 secs. The default was 1 and i was thinking of raising it to 2 or did you meant 2 rather than 0.2?
Similarly the default pixel was 100 and I was thinking of raising it rather than reducing it, unless i am misunderstanding the meaning.

thanks

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Min Duration is .2! If you raise pixel to 100+, the motion must not only meet the sensitivity settings, but also the 'object travels(pixels)'. Just about anything crossing the camera is going to exceed 100 pixels! I use the pixels to delay the trigger so that the clip snapshot will show the image of what triggered the motion. Then, I use a slightly longer pre-trigger of 3-5 seconds so that the clip/alert starts with the object entering the screen.
The result is that in the clip list, the images show the object that triggered the motion alert. When I open the clip, it plays with the object entering the screen rather than starting with the object alreay part way into the screen.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks and for clarifying that the duration is .2

Still getting crazy alerts for motion from leaves shadows on the entrance porch and steps. Will keep trying.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question how many core can blue iris use is there a maximum number ?
before you waste your money on a processor that is not ideal, read the threads discussing ideal systems for blue iris...you want a modern intel processor with hd video/quicksync.