BI general Help

Joey117

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok done I removed all hot spots and only enables zones hopefully will help with the movement of trees Shadows and sunlight triggers

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It should. The green zones will respond to your settings. There is a setting that resets a scene when a certain percentage of the scene has a change. Lower that to 60% I think default is like 76%

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome news! Now use the built in test mode in blue iris and run your false triggers. Tune blue iris to not respond to those triggers. You will get it.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Awesome news! Now use the built in test mode in blue iris and run your false triggers. Tune blue iris to not respond to those triggers. You will get it.
Wanted to say thanks for pointing out the built in Test mode to run recorded clips theough for analysis. I did not know that!

Very helpful. Still struggling with getting zones set up but this really helps see why things work or do not.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Glad I could help you out. You will get it. I'm still tweaking my settings. Weather conditions are a bitch!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Appreciate it. I asked a million questions when I first got started. These guys really saved me. Fenderman knows this software inside and out. Very impressive knowledge base. I feel bad asking questions sometimes and I am learning something new about the software everyday. The help file is pretty thorough but sometimes can make your head spin. I am extremely happy with Blue Iris. Glad I could be helpful.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@Hound Dog 911
Hope u dont mind me jumping in. I can start another thread if u prefer. Let me know. I am testing BI and it is too sensitive to changing sunlight for my front door cam (actually for all my front cams but especially this one). I am not entirely following the Test run on saved videos. For example I just now reduced sensitivity by increasing the motion sensor minimum size considerably and pushed the contrast more to the right. Irrespective, when i play the previously recorded video, small blue rectangles pop up of the same size as the first time before changing it. These blue rectangles occur on a flower pot, patio and a down spout mostly. On another older video, same blue colored rectangles pop up but with occasional larger green border which vary in size. If motion occurs in that recorded video, does something else happen to tell me? Or am i missing something here? The help function says it will turn red and a word MOTION will appear. I dont see it.

thanks

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The part you are referring to with the word Motion is when you are setting up your zones. That gray box will change colors then read Motion and turn red. It will do that only in that area of setup that I know of. Not during recording playback. If there is an area that keeps setting it off, mask it. The most success I have had with sunlight is using this method.

"There is a setting that resets a scene when a certain percentage of the scene has a change. Lower that to 60% I think default is like 76%"

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The part you are referring to with the word Motion is when you are setting up your zones. That gray box will change colors then read Motion and turn red. It will do that only in that area of setup that I know of. Not during recording playback. If there is an area that keeps setting it off, mask it. The most success I have had with sunlight is using this method.

"There is a setting that resets a scene when a certain percentage of the scene has a change. Lower that to 60% I think default is like 76%"
Thank you. Il try masking a few spots and look for the scene setting you mention above. Unfortunately as motion occurs all over the patio, making it hard to mask it all.

Going back to the test run. Do i just play with sensitivity settings and then rerun a recording? If so, should i change it to the point where i no longer see any blue rectangles. Or how do i know from rerunning the recording that i have succeeded in decreasing false triggers?

Of course i could just watch for a day and see how many real triggers occur.

thank you again for helping me understand.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I haven't perfected it. I used the motion scene reset setting first then fine tune with the slider bars. I tweak then go and run a recording. As for what is considered an actual trigger when running the recording, I'm not 100% sure what constitutes a trigger with the visuals it gives. I'm still learning myself. Just hoping I get you heading in the right direction.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't perfected it. I used the motion scene reset setting first then fine tune with the slider bars. I tweak then go and run a recording. As for what is considered an actual trigger when running the recording, I'm not 100% sure what constitutes a trigger with the visuals it gives. I'm still learning myself. Just hoping I get you heading in the right direction.
Thank you for helping :) Il keep playing with the options.

I wonder if similar to the amazing write ups on BI hardware recommendations and CPU usage, if there is something hidden in this forum on common presets that members use (similar to waht u suggested). I think that will help newbies to this software and also avoid some of our repeated questions. While there is a help file in BI, it isnt the easiest to follow.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah. It can be confusing. I have things running good. Left for vacation and my firewall or something locked me out of remote view. Not sure why. It's still recording because I still get push notifications. The guy watching my house and dogs isn't great with computers so it is what it is. You will figure it out.

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah. It can be confusing. I have things running good. Left for vacation and my firewall or something locked me out of remote view. Not sure why. It's still recording because I still get push notifications. The guy watching my house and dogs isn't great with computers so it is what it is. You will figure it out.
Aah vacation is the one time you want it to work well. That sucks. And routers and firewalls are fun stuff!!

Over here my door cam is not recording anything on BI ( i have attached a pic of the cam view and zones) . I have to reread the zones part and masking part. The way to mask objects as i understood was to keep zone A empty, then draw a zone b and zone c excluding my flower pot and then set B-C. Nothing picked up, so i first removed the B-C annotation, still nothing. Then unchecked the zones part completely. Now it restarted recording. Unfortunately i am back to picking up tree leaves motion. Grrrrr

And while testing it with my wife walking out a couple of times I found that the second cam by the walkway doesnt catch her either as there is a shadow from a big tree. Though i could clearly see her walking, the alert didnt go off. So i probably will have to back off the sensitivity settings also.

By the way i have set the cams for 2 sec make motion. May be thats too much. Well back to the drawing board :)

Attachments

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When using zones the area's not covered by zones are masked. So if you setup zone A and B and the A-B command in the settings the object must travel from A-B or B-A to trip.