BI mobile app Setup?

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks I’ll continue tomorrow. Your help was invaluable many thanks.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to Fenderman and Looney2ns I was able to get my system straighten out and now have local access to BI via all my mobile devices. Now that this is done time to set up a VPN? I have a dsl/router supplied by my service provider. I also have an Asus router connected to the dsl/router. Do I install the VPN on the dsl/router or Asus router. Both are capable for VPN set up. All my equipment is connected to the dsl/router with one cable running to the Asus router. The Asus has dramatically improved my WiFi coverage and speed on my network.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the dsl/router supports openVPN then use that.
Or
If you can set your dsl/router to pass thru, connect router to the Asus. Nothing else is connected to the dsl/router. Connect enerything to the Asus. Set Asus up for openVPN.

Tyyees

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Southern Yankee I’ve been working on this all day with a bit of success. The dsl/router doesn’t support open VPN. What happened when I changed everything I couldn’t access the Asus router only the dsl. Got that figured out sort of. Called the dsl provider and was told I can’t bridge modem or turn off WiFi. So far the cameras will only work plugged into the dsl model not the Asus. Working on that now. Don’t know if i can get them working on the Asus. Work in progress. Keep those suggestions coming.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who is your internet provider ?
What is the make and model number of your dsl modem router.
I do not know how to use the Asus openVPN behind an existing router, not sure if it is even possible.

tayninh

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: After playing around with the IP, it works now.

Hello Fenderman/SouthernYankee,
Sorry to threadcap this, but I’m running into similar issue. I’m having issue setting up OpenVPN on my iphone to access BI from the app. LAN access it fine, it’s the WAN section that I’m having issue. I have Netgear Orbi router and setup OpenVPN in there. I assume I set it up correctly. I exported the .ovpn file from the Orbi, then imported it into my iPhone. I could see the connection is successful in OpenVPN app. For BI app on iPhone, for the WAN section, I tried inputting my DDNS domain name(from noip), my internet IP address, or local IP address, but nothing works. I can’t connect. I do have the box check to open port 81 under the Webswer server tab on BI. I did not forward that port in my router since that will defeat the purpose of using VPN.

So everything seems to point to my setup on BI iphone app is incorrect. Please advise.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: After playing around with the IP, it works now.

Hello Fenderman/SouthernYankee,
Sorry to threadcap this, but I’m running into similar issue. I’m having issue setting up OpenVPN on my iphone to access BI from the app. LAN access it fine, it’s the WAN section that I’m having issue. I have Netgear Orbi router and setup OpenVPN in there. I assume I set it up correctly. I exported the .ovpn file from the Orbi, then imported it into my iPhone. I could see the connection is successful in OpenVPN app. For BI app on iPhone, for the WAN section, I tried inputting my DDNS domain name(from noip), my internet IP address, or local IP address, but nothing works. I can’t connect. I do have the box check to open port 81 under the Webswer server tab on BI. I did not forward that port in my router since that will defeat the purpose of using VPN.

So everything seems to point to my setup on BI iphone app is incorrect. Please advise.
for both the lan and wan settings you need to enter the local ip followed by the port. ex 192.168.1.23:81 if 81 is your port.