Jacksonspop1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thief Steals both of my kids bikes in the middle of the night.
Please Critique my camera system.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thief Steals both of my kids bikes in the middle of the night.
Please Critique my camera system...
That sucks @Jacksonspop1

big thanks for sharing this, I know it is not always fun to share the "sucks" stuff....

Did you recognize the individual?

So notes on this one:
1)
ALWAYS test the quality and quality of your setup by acting as a prowler while wearing a hoodie and baseball cap. Ideally have a friend act as the prowler and ask your wife / husband / so / another friend to ID them. If they can not - then you want to re-evaluate the setup.
2) More cameras are useful, plan to capture the image of prowlers before they entire the inside perimeter. In this case I would add 2 more cameras further out covering the approach to your home.
3) Color data - you need some color data, get a couple of good low light cameras that can provide you some color data to help ID the suspect.

Did I mention I do like some cameras mounted at basically face level??

I'll leave it to others to discuss leaving goods in the open... ;-P

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I don't consider my cameras to be ID cams. I am only using them as deterrants. Most people's cameras are vulnerable to hoody or mask and their houses vulnerable to a single brick.

I think yours are similar. Either consider more deterrents or maybe more cameras. While we all dream of face ID and what not, I reckon all the other deterrents come to play too. Can the neighbours be of any help? Most of the time, I doubt you'd get face ID especially at night, even with fancy star light and what not.

To be fair, the goods were very easily acquired. IE the cameras were not positioned to protect or ID anyone that would target those goods.

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts, was that your dog barking? He was telling you something was going on out there.
I wonder if the thief was a neighbor, he wasn't gone long between grabbing the bikes.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
He knew what he was coming for and where exactly it was. He clearly had seen the inside of the carport area in daylight. Look over daytime views and see if you can see someone paying attention to the contents in the last day or three.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the cameras are not set up correctly and able to ID the bad guy, they are not a deterrent. Why not just use fake cameras, with the blinking red light.

Using motion sensor lights will blind the camera when they come on, Just enough time to hind the face.

Mount and test the camera location at night. Mount some of the cameras no higher than 6 feet. Have your lights on all the time

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looked to me like he also knew you had cameras.
probably saw them in the daytime - maybe you could check out some previous footage over the last few days and look for a similar character.
something about that body language.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The days of leaving doors unlocked, and personal belongings being left outside, un-secured are looongggg gone.
If you leave your stuff out like that, you have to expect it to walk off.

Your time stamps are all messed up on most cams, turn off the BI time stamps and make sure your cameras time stamp is accurate and all are in sync. Otherwise they are worthless in court.

He had a motion light come on, proof once again that light's are not always the deterrent we would hope.

The more IR the better.
These little guys do well: https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-WideAngle-100feet-ourdoor-Illuminator/dp/B01MTXSJP9/ref=sr_1_54?crid=2GJ7TQQ7XWPQJ&keywords=ir+lights+for+security+cameras&qid=1565987343&s=gateway&sprefix=ir+l,aps,196&sr=8-54

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
It is hard to give much critique to your set-up without knowing what the cameras are, what lighting is available, and the physical setup of your yard/house/etc. He obviously knew you had cameras and knows your place. He looked right at one camera, wore a hoodie, blocked his face with a hand as he passed one camera, and the motion light coming on did nothing to slow him down. He knew it was motion and not you turning on a light to investigate. He knew there was at least one bike there and did not bring it far before going back for the second. Either someone was waiting for him to ride the second bike, he had a car to put them in, or he lives close enough to stash them at home.

The motion light did not illuminate the camera field. It was of no help. A few good Starlite cams with plenty of normal light set for color can usually make a big difference. Covering multiple angles with more cameras can help. I have a few cameras at my front door. Two at 5' and two at 2' looking up from each side of the door. I ALWAYS get at least one good view of anyone coming to the door no matter the time of day, lighting, or what they are wearing.

You need to look for your choke points in your approaches and cover them with narrow angle views such that they get plenty of pixels on a face.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with others that have stated he's a local. It takes him 45 seconds to leave on a bike and return on foot, so figure that in with your sleuthing. I think he also returns from the opposite side of the street as well.

After a time if you come up empty, put out some "cockroach bait" but be ready for him. :angry:

He's a YOUNG cockroach. Do him a favor and bring his crime spree to an abrupt halt.

Excellent point by the looneynator regarding conflicting time stamps and admissibility as evidence.

Last edited: