The only place in the world oil sinks to the of the ocean in the Gulf of Mexico
A better battery is just around the corner

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You forgot one: Environmental disaster from mining and processing the materials for the batteries.
Apart from future batteries are most likely going to be silicon based (sand). Several companies are close to a marketable battery.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Like it or not, the combustion engine is dead. Governments around the world are not going to continue to allow their sale. The only possible combustion engine is hydrogen but as mentioned before, hydrogen isn't green in the way the majority of it is produced. Google Blue Hydrogen. The US has got away with having huge polluting engines for years. However in the current poltical climate, all governments are going to be forced to make changes and the recent fires etc on Maui and extreme heat waves in Europe are only going to pile more international pressure on to take action.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Like it or not, the combustion engine is dead. Governments around the world are not going to continue to allow their sale. The only possible combustion engine is hydrogen but as mentioned before, hydrogen isn't green in the way the majority of it is produced. Google Blue Hydrogen. The US has got away with having huge polluting engines for years. However in the current poltical climate, all governments are going to be forced to make changes and the recent fires etc on Maui and extreme heat waves in Europe are only going to pile more international pressure on to take action.
Its far from dead. Toyota is heavy into hybrid. All it will take is a shift from an insane president to shift the folks at the EPA around. Battery power is dirty, mined inhumanely and insanely expensive. Do you know how long you need to drive a tesla to make a net difference when you factor in the real environmental cost of mining?
Only a complete moron could believe that a Maui fire and a some heat waves are caused by human action. Did this not occur 2000 years ago? The models they use are a farce. If it was really a problem why is china allowed to increase its carbon emissions by 50 percent while we must curb ours.
Its disgusting that the elites tell the plebs that they must conform or else....
Normal folks need a 15k nissan versa available for sale, not a 27k bolt.

The only benefit of EV is insane amounts of torque.
And by the way, the US has not "gotten away with having huge polluting engines" over the last 30 years we have gotten insanely efficient. Stop using your AC, your cams, your TV, your car if your are worried. Ill continue driving and using my remote start and enjoying life.

Even if you are dumb enough to believe that you can change the climate - every single model is clear that no real change can occur unless the larges polluters agree to cut emissions, they have NOT. So basically you a a pussy in the whitehouse screwing over hard working americans in the name of the climate scam while others including china, india, russia, iran, saudis, laugh at us like the dumbasses we are.

Always follow the money. Stossel has a good piece.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Like it or not, the combustion engine is dead. Governments around the world are not going to continue to allow their sale.
We'll need ICE vehicles to tow the EVs with dead batteries, and/or ICE generators to charge them on the side of the road. I'm not against EVs at all. I'm against the two extremes that think they have to be either everything, or nothing at all.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a fan of EVs, for the applications in which they make sense. The right tool for the job.

In a battery constrained market, hybrids and plug-ins are a better use of the limited battery supply. More bang for the buck.

ICE will be around for decades. Peak oil is still about 15 years away. That isn't when we stop burning fossil fuels; that's when we burn the most. After that we will slowly taper. I predict a scramble to build nuclear, but the future has a way of making fools of everyone.

Corrupt politicians will always blame Gaia and the heathens that don't worship her as the cause of the disasters they were responsible to avoid. It's human nature to shirk responsibility if you can find dimwits willing to buy a farfetched story rather than the obvious.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

the price of electricity I'd like to pay for is that of Wind and Solar, especially when we start adding environmental impact levy's, I was under the impression everyone was unhappy with the cost of electricty and would be cheering on the much cheaper options, the cheaper options are like a decreasing cost per mile/km

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

the price of electricity I'd like to pay for is that of Wind and Solar, especially when we start adding environmental impact levy's, I was under the impression everyone was unhappy with the cost of electricty and would be cheering on the much cheaper options, the cheaper options are like a decreasing cost per mile/km
Only the uninformed are duped by the so-called renewable industry. We don't need electricity intermittently, we need it based on our demand for use. Generation sources that are capable of producing based on demand are called "load following". In other words, electricity isn't valuable because it exists whenever; it's valuable because it exists when you need it.

So you build these unreliable sources of electricity that generate whenever Gaia decides to shine upon us, and we're obligated to accept that electricity. The thing is, the unreliable generators don't displace load following generation, they are in addition to it. By definition, adding an expense instead of replacing one is an additional expense.

So the useful idiots point to a corrupt chart showing that unreliable electricity is cheaper than reliable electricity while completely ignoring the fact that their utility invites them to pay more for it. Tell me, why would my utility invite me to pay a premium price for cheap unreliable electricity? Answer; it's not cheaper.

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
you mean firmed renewables, the price is dropping fast

I mean exactly what I stated.

Your examples of poor countries where hardly anyone lives and happen to have hydroelectric or geothermal resources are not evidence that large wealthy countries without those resources can just magic them into existence. The only place anyone would want to live in that list is Norway, and that's because they are rich from exporting fossil fuels. So much for "green" wealth. :rolleyes:

I will ask again, and you will fail to answer, why does my utility invite me to pay a lot more for "renewables" if they are cheaper?

Why does Germany have among the highest utility prices in the EU? Why does Hawaii, despite the ideal solar location, have the highest utility prices in the US? Answer again; it's not cheaper.

As an aside, I'm not opposed to intermittent electricity for any ideological reason. I have solar on my roof because 3 idiotic subsidies made it barely break even from a financial standpoint for me. I'm opposed to hucksters duping idiots into believing an expensive thing is cheap with their deceptive accounting. Those cretins should have a hard time getting a job at McDonalds, let alone anything paying above minimum wage.

If the future eventually produces actually cheap renewable electricity, I'm all for it. We don't live in some hypothetical future though.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Gee, who could ever imagine such a thing would happen.....:cool:

"EV Sales Fail To Keep Up With Dealer Inventory Levels
Analysts say there’s a gap between the enthusiasm of EV consumers and actual purchases."

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I disagree. Lets see what happens when the car dealers and manufacturers have to eat their unsold EV inventory because the average Joe isn't buying their cars. I think car manufactures that are going "EV Only" are making a huge and miscalculated mistake.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree, but they will keep forcing it (government and climate change nutjobs) until the consumer is left with no choice.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I disagree. Lets see what happens when the car dealers and manufacturers have to eat their unsold EV inventory because the average Joe isn't buying their cars. I think car manufactures that are going "EV Only" are making a huge and miscalculated mistake.
That will remain true (except for Tesla) until 2025 when Ford, GM and many others, start delivering EVs with NACS charge ports and can use Tesla's Supercharger network.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That will remain true (except for Tesla) until 2025 when Ford, GM and many others, start delivering EVs with NACS charge ports and can use Tesla's Supercharger network.
That's going to be a nightmare...especially for Tesla owners who up until now have enjoyed exclusive use of the Tesla Supercharger network and will now have to wait in line and take a number.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Gee, who could ever imagine such a thing would happen.....:cool:

"EV Sales Fail To Keep Up With Dealer Inventory Levels
Analysts say there’s a gap between the enthusiasm of EV consumers and actual purchases."

Dealer inventory is going up across the board. Interest rates are pretty high and the average new car loan is $750 a month.