Blue Iris 4 to 5 Migration Guide

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Strange that the installer hasn't fixed these issues yet :(

Is it worth the upgrade?
It can’t be fixed the issue Occurs when you uninstall Blue Iris 4. It’s well worth the upgrade which takes less than five minutes if you follow directions.

pburgh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It can’t be fixed the issue Occurs when you uninstall Blue Iris 4. It’s well worth the upgrade which takes less than five minutes if you follow directions.
I've just been leaving the BI4 install in place, removing any shortcuts, and renaming the exes so they don't get launched. Upgrading to v5 has been super quick and easy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just been leaving the BI4 install in place, removing any shortcuts, and renaming the exes so they don't get launched. Upgrading to v5 has been super quick and easy.
There’s really no reason to leave it in place simply import your settings after you uninstall Blue Iris takes five seconds then enter your license key done

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange that the installer hasn't fixed these issues yet :(

Is it worth the upgrade?
Yes, i believe so. Just make sure you export everything and have your original key on hand before you do anything.

I didn't like not getting frequent updates by staying on BI4. After years of using BI, I know how often updates are put out and generally there are great features added. To me, that was worth it alone.

One of the things I noticed was my camera settings were a bit goofy. I have 2 schedules, day and night, and use the High Definition setting (under Trigger->Configure) for each camera. For some reason, all of my cameras had High Definition selected for the Day schedule, but most did not have that option selected for the Night schedule. That caused my masked areas to be off a little. It was not a huge deal, because it gave me the chance to go into each camera a tweak some stuff, and look for new features, etc.

Just letting you know if you choose to upgrade, you will probably want to go into the settings of each camera and verify that it all looks good.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nevermind. Figured it out

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just did the upgrade. One issue. My clips/alerts are lost. only showing 3. Any ideas how i can get them back?

I did:
export settings
Upgrade to bi5
launched it
closed it and uninstalled BI4
imported backup
Started BI5

View attachment 58239
Check the storage folders. If files are there regenerate the database .One thing that happens when you uninstall 4 is they clips and archiving revert back to default which is 10 gb. IF you dont import your settings right away, your files may be deleted.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check the storage folders. If files are there regenerate the database .One thing that happens when you uninstall 4 is they clips and archiving revert back to default which is 10 gb. IF you dont import your settings right away, your files may be deleted.
Yep figured it out. imported settings right away and all clips were present in the storage folder. just deleted db folder and its regenerating now. Thank you

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never got around to upgrading my systems to BI5. So I'm wondering what the upgrade price is now? I guess i will need to test it with my backup BI machine first. And then get a second license to upgrade my primary BI machine.

EDIT: I'm guessing the prices are still valid on the first post.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I never got around to upgrading my systems to BI5. So I'm wondering what the upgrade price is now? I guess i will need to test it with my backup BI machine first. And then get a second license to upgrade my primary BI machine.

EDIT: I'm guessing the prices are still valid on the first post.
There are 3 options, two of which are auto renewals. See blueirissoftware.com

Attachments

xytechlegit00

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just updated my BI from 4 to 5 and here are a few of my observations:

Followed the instructions on the first page exactly.

1) Exported everything (general settings and each camera).
2) BI5 install went fine. Did this and rebooted.
3) Uninstalled BI4. Specifically said NO to uninstalling registry stuff.
4) Opened up console on BI5. For some reason, it needed the original key. Found this and pasted it in. Needs the original key, not an upgrade/maintenance key.
5) BI5 was now in default settings mode. Strange since I said NO to deleting registry stuff. Imported my general settings export .reg file and everything came back to life. Cameras were now all there.
6) Had to remap location of \www\ directory since my general settings export .reg file was from v4. Did this and the now the webserver worked, no problem.

Just an FYI, this may be mentioned in this thread somewhere, but it is worth stating again. If you run BI as a service and you have BI move your files to a NAS, then you might have modified the Blue Iris Service to logon as a user other than the "local system" user. You will need to add those credentials again for the BI5 version of then Blue Iris Service since it is new. Otherwise, you will probably wonder why your local drive is filling up with clips and not being moved to your NAS.

BI5 seems to be easier on the CPU so far, which is a plus!
Just upgraded from 4 to 5 and this was exactly my experience.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed bi5, no issues, uninstalled bi4, says no to nuking settings, opened bi5, wanted a license. I imported my settings backup that I exported from bi4 before the bi5 install and it's still in demo mode, any ideas? I don't think I can find my old bi4 license.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I installed bi5, no issues, uninstalled bi4, says no to nuking settings, opened bi5, wanted a license. I imported my settings backup that I exported from bi4 before the bi5 install and it's still in demo mode, any ideas? I don't think I can find my old bi4 license.
Yes this is a known issue and a problem with the bi4 uninstaller, that is why in my post to you here I specifically told you to have a copy of your bi4 license. Check your old emails. The blue iris license is emailed to you when you buy from perspective software.
Yes. Its 29.95 if you sign up for annual renewal for support and 35 if you do a one time fee. It is cheaper than buying a new license here.
Home - Blue Iris Software scroll down a bit. Follow the migration guide thread, backup your settings and keep a copy of your bi4 license key as you will need it when you uninstall bi4 after installing 5, the license key info will be lost and you will have to reenter it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Nevermind, I had the forsight long ago to store my old v4 license key in onedrive lol i'm good now, time to add my v5 key, BOOOOOOOOM.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK... It looks like the bugs have been mostly worked out from BI5, and I need to do an update of my video security system anyway. So, what do I do?

I understand that I need to either do a serious backup, or just resign myself to setting it up from scratch. I'm good with that.

But for the license, I'm confused... do I purchase the $30 support plan, or the "one-time" support plan for $35?

BI has worked well for my limited needs, but it's time to upgrade... any advice?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You can get the $30 annual support plan and then cancel it to save $5, but as I understand it the shop does not have an intuitive cancellation process so that could be frustrating.

Make a registry backup before you start the upgrade, whether you plan to set up from scratch or not. Better safe than sorry.

Enough people have come to complain about their CPU usage going way up after upgrading to BI5, and we really don't know what to tell them because a ton of stuff changes all at once when you do the upgrade. it is much easier to know what the problem is if you are changing one thing at a time in a fresh setup.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In other words, the extra $5 is insurance against future aggravation. I think I can deal with that.

The current system is an Intel i7 with 8 gb of Ram. I'm only dealing with 8 cams, possibly up to 10 in the future, so I THINK I don't need a serious system upgrade.

Am I on the right track here?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI5 can be a LOT more efficient than BI4 if you use sub streams, so yeah, there is very little reason to upgrade the PC it sounds like.