Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

ccaru

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I may have resolved the issue...
There was a single camera with a different Frame Rate (30). In the (actual, not Blue Iris) Camera settings I changed this to 15 like the rest, and everything came back to normal.
I don't think that the issue was native to the frame rate itself, but rather, the fact that there was a difference in frame rate between one and the other cameras.
No I haven't quite :( It is definately the cause of the issue, but the issue seems to be that BI is revising the Max Frame Rate setting upwards, and this is causing the CPU usage to skyrocket.
Reading the manual, it appears that the fact that BI automatically adjusts the frame rate is intended behaviour, but then what can i do to fix my problem?

Basically, I set all my cameras up as 15FPS - CPU hovers around the 27% mark
After some time, the CPU levels skyrocket again - and i find that the Bi automatically set this rate to different values for each camera. The only way i found to resolve the CPU issue is to set these back all to 15FPS but then the cycle repeats itself.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm wondering if I should up my RAM, I'm at 8GB now but its at 81% usage most of the time.

CPU is around 25% doing both 24/7 Recording and Motion with 9 x MP Cams at 15FPS

Reaction score
You should definitely upgrade your ram if you are looking for better performance. I went from a single 8GB to 2x16gb and it made the system significantly more useable and stable, although the 32gb was overkill. Prior to the upgrade it would hang up when trying to view recordings. I am actually about to relegate this machine to full time camera duty and put it in a server case, so I have to change the ram to fit under the new CPU cooler, and in doing so I will go down to 2x8gb, but I think that will be plenty.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You should definitely upgrade your ram if you are looking for better performance. I went from a single 8GB to 2x16gb and it made the system significantly more useable and stable, although the 32gb was overkill. Prior to the upgrade it would hang up when trying to view recordings. I am actually about to relegate this machine to full time camera duty and put it in a server case, so I have to change the ram to fit under the new CPU cooler, and in doing so I will go down to 2x8gb, but I think that will be plenty.
This point particularly applies to AMD processors where it should be a criminal
offence to build Single memory channel
AMD systems using integrated graphics.
Generally adding more ram to a system that doesn’t need it doesn’t impact performance. Moving from single channel to dual helps most systems but as above should be critical for AMD with integrated graphics.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Somebody here once said, " you can never have enough Camera's." I feel that way about ram. I have 13 cams in BI and 13 more cams on Nightowl HD software running on 1 PC. 16Gb works, but 32GB is a little better with the nightowl running.