Blue iris and CPU consumption as it relates to memory usage

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fenderman, Oct 22, 2015.

Share This Page

1. TL1096r

TL1096r Pulling my weight

What do you mean stream from one BI machine to another, I didn't know, how can I do this? We have different areas, so we want to watch the Camera in different areas, so we have 3 computers so we toss BI on each machine and connect like I do normally and it works but then we saw drops, the "socket error: 10053" - all 3 would go down, once I removed both the other computer never went down again. We use reolink software (total crap) and it works and doesn't' disconnect.

Unsure about the multi-cast.

chris192 likes this.
  2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

like i said, reolink software uses different protocols which might not stress the camera as much...
    I still dont understand why you need 3 machines running BI? makes no sense...you do understand blue iris has a webserver right?
    you can also stream directly from one blue iris instance to another, but in your case you dont need to..just use the webserver - use the NEW UI3 by bp2008...

3. TL1096r

I really had no idea, how do I use the Web Server, then I will look into the bp2008 post more if I don't like the web server. Will there be any lag?

If I download their software I can have remote view on my phone through their app too?

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

It is explained in The Help file... Use the mobile app on your phone...

5. TL1096r

ok great, sorta wish i didn't spend so much on so many BI software now. :)

The Web Server

Web Server Set Up

6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

7. TL1096r

It isn't something that is always obvious, I thought I needed BI to connect and view, if I knew about the web server I wouldn't have purchased but oh well.

But the other computers need firewalls, it seems I have to disable them?

8. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

no need to disable anything.

9. TL1096r

My fault, I read something incorrectly in this thread:
    Web Server Set Up

I will try to get this done, now this will prevent the dropping? I will report back after I do some more research, it would be nice to have this on the phone. What VPN app for the phone is better now, I have saw another thread where a popular VPN app was collecting your info.

10. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

Reading the help file in BI would have given you many clues. When all else fails, read the instructions. ;)

11. looney2ns

looney2ns IPCT Contributor

VPN Primer for Noobs

TL1096r and jockovonred like this.
  12. anijet

anijet Getting the hang of it

Just to add a note to this older thread, my cpu was running 50%+ and spiking to 100% when remoting in with UI3. Made a few tweaks to BI with little change. Noticed memory was 75-80%. Bumped the 8gb to 16 and it dropped cpu to around 30%. With UI3 it still jumps to 70% (even on local machine). Not sure why, but will keep investigating.

Any help on the UI3 cpu spike would be welcome!

fenderman likes this.
  13. cam26

cam26 Young grasshopper

Were you ever able to get this corrected? Same issue with basically your same system except I hit 100% on playback with 4 2mp cameras and it returns to 30% immediately after stopping playback.

14. Adam Ginsberg

Adam Ginsberg n3wb

@cam26 - the behavior has changed. Currently running BI v4.8.5.0. Still have 8 cameras, although one is now a PTZ with audio (previous config was all fixed cams, no audio). CPU usage stays relatively consistent @ ~45%, MEM @ ~2GB.

If I use the timeline playback to view ALL 8 cameras simultaneously, CPU goes from the norm of ~45% to ~95-100% almost immediately, and will stay there the entire time I'm watching recorded video, using the fast forward buttons to speed up, and/or the reverse button to slow it back down.

When I hit PAUSE, within a few seconds, CPU usage drops to ~50-60%. Then, when I hit ESC to go back to live view/recording, it goes back to it's previous "norm" of ~45%.

From my perspective, I can understand it going to high CPU usage when playing back all the cameras. I'm pleased that now it releases CPU usage properly, whereas it didn't before. I'm unsure when the "fix" occurred, however.

HTHs.

15. cam26

cam26 Young grasshopper

I gotcha, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. Thank you for the update!