Blue Iris compatible doorbell/intercom/2 way audio

Reaction score
Sorry, wanted to circle back on this thread because I'm left a little confused. Specifically, my questions are

1) What cameras were found to work with two way talk with Blue Iris? Was that talk push or true two channel two-way?

Specifically, does the Hik camera and Hik Video Doorbell camera that has been rebranded support two way talk through Blue Iris? Is it push to talk or true two channel two-way? Does it work with the IOS and/or Android apps?

I'm making a purchase decision soon and looking to find a good two-way audio system. If it rolls in video and or doorbell integration, that would be nice too!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, wanted to circle back on this thread because I'm left a little confused. Specifically, my questions are

1) What cameras were found to work with two way talk with Blue Iris? Was that talk push or true two channel two-way?

Specifically, does the Hik camera and Hik Video Doorbell camera that has been rebranded support two way talk through Blue Iris? Is it push to talk or true two channel two-way? Does it work with the IOS and/or Android apps?

I'm making a purchase decision soon and looking to find a good two-way audio system. If it rolls in video and or doorbell integration, that would be nice too!
it will never work well because its half duplex...both dahua and hikvision cams work in bi....

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all.. After reading this thread a few weeks back i came to the conclusion that the hikvision cube cam would be a easy setup for 2way audio. I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW and have all the settings set like is shown on pg3 of this thread. Audio is coming from the camera into blueiris so the mic seems fine, but i cant get anything to come out of the speaker. Have tried using the iphone app and also using a mic connected to the BI system to test the speaker. When connecting to the GUI of the camera in live view with internet explorer the 2way audio button doesnt work either. Its firmware is 5.5.0 could this maybe be the problem?

Reaction score
I just had a thought... I've set ALL of my 3 and 4MP Hikvision cameras to 720P, with frame rates of 15, and bandwidth set to about 2mbps. With 30 cameras, and non-D2D (love me some overlays), my i7-4xxx desktop already has a noticeable frame rate drop when there is a lot of activity (fog, rain, windy days, etc). I don't see enough clarity improvement on the higher resolutions to justify the nearly constant 100% CPU I see when up at those levels.

Perhaps that's part of the issue? For those with the crappy audio, are your resolutions/frame rates at max? Maybe the cameras (or the BI PC) are too taxed to handle the audio stream?
Turning the res of my 1440p cam down to 1080p helped a ton with the audio. It's still a little distorted though, higher pitched as well.

cam is a Dahua IPC-HDBW4431R-AS.

lanbrown

n3wb
Reaction score
Another downside is that they only have EU based servers - so latency pretty much sucks vs. if they had a US based deployment for US customers. Audio quality is better than what you typically get from the RTSP two-way in a Hik/Dah camera in BI - the app is VOIP based and is reasonably full duplex.
Part of this could be due to different regulations and now with GDPR that will probably never happen.

List of annoyances:

- There is a scheduled "restart" of the Doorbird. It effectively restarts the core software, so some probability of a few minutes of the random day, your doorbell doesn't work. You have no timing control over this.
For the DoorBird it is a little over every 24 hours; the IP Chime and I/O Controller are 25.5 hours. The API does allow you to restart the DoorBird; I have my home automation system handle this every night. One DoorBird is at midnight and the other follows 15 minutes later.
https://www.doorbird.com/downloads/api_lan.pdf?rev=0.24

RESTART

Restarts the device. There will be no diagnostic sound (e.g. “successfully connected to internet”) after this restart. Method: GET Required permission: valid user, API operator permission Syntax: http:///bha-api/restart.cgi Example Request: http:///bha-api/restart.cgi Return: HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n \r\n HTTP status codes: 200 – OK 401 – Authentication required 503 – device is busy (e.g. currently installing an firmware update)

It works OK - it isn't perfect. Doorbell offerings could get better, I've been struggling with Doorbird support trying to get them to listen to my issues. This has given me mixed success.
I agree, but at least the device is more open that say Ring. I've requested that their other products have API access, even limited where you can just restart them.

They are up to software release 000114, have they changed the audio so Blue Iris can receive audio but have the app takeover when it needs to? Your post is a year old and several software releases have been made since then.

Gibby13

n3wb
Reaction score
They are up to software release 000114, have they changed the audio so Blue Iris can receive audio but have the app takeover when it needs to? Your post is a year old and several software releases have been made since then.
Found this post when searching to see how the Doorbird App on the phone could take over audio from BlueIris. According to their documentation it should since BlueIris is only pulling audio with http:///bha-api/audio-receive.cgi and not using http:///bha-api/audio-transmit.cgi which only allows 1 connection.

So I contacted Doorbird and they said while it is not clear in the documentation it is only for SIP but they will add this fix in the next firmware release.

However, I boxed my Doorbird up and will be sticking with my LaView for now.

kramttocs

n3wb
Reaction score
However, I boxed my Doorbird up and will be sticking with my LaView for now.
Which LaView do you have? 1st gen or 2nd?
I have a Uniden branded model that looks like the 1st gen. Had to warranty the first one due to unresponsiveness and the second one I took down a few weeks ago as it started getting hot and would randomly start ringing the bell.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread but it doesn't appear that any great strides have been made in three years. I has asked about BI compatibility with the Dahua VTO2000A in THIS THREAD and got an affirmative answer. Taking a look at some documentation and videos on the internet it all still seems a bit nebulous when you look at integrations with other home automation and third party security cam s/w. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more active discussion on this subject. I've read a number of threads on here about two-way communication through various cams but relatively little on use of and install of a "villa" intercom/video system. What's up with villa door systems anyway with regard to Europe/Asia anyway? Seems like that's "a thing" over in other parts of the world whereas in the USA not so much.

kramttocs

n3wb
Reaction score
I am also surprised at the lack of options in this regard. At this point it's probably time for me to go back with a dumb doorbell and a small ip camera.

Gibby13

n3wb
Reaction score
Which LaView do you have? 1st gen or 2nd?
I have a Uniden branded model that looks like the 1st gen. Had to warranty the first one due to unresponsiveness and the second one I took down a few weeks ago as it started getting hot and would randomly start ringing the bell.
Hmm, not sure, how do I tell?

kramttocs

n3wb
Reaction score

Gibby13

n3wb
Reaction score

or

This is what I bought from E-Bay July of last year "LaView ONE Halo HD 3MP 2K Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera, Two-Way Audio, 180° Wide Angle"

Already had a larger transformer from trying to fix issue with Ring Doorbell. In Nov/Oct I had the random door bell ringing issue too. In the App I disabled telling it I had a doorbell chime. I re-enabled it early this week and it is better than it was before.

I did have to switch to the Guarding App as I couldn't get any of the others to work(no incoming call when button was pressed).

I also setup tasker on an old phone to send a MQTT message to Home Assistant which then sends a doorbell sound to all my echo devices.

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No updates to this thread in 18 months? Bummer. I have an Amcrest AD110 that recently went offline. It had been working fine with BI and with it's mobile app. During the process of re-enabling it I learned that I am now REQUIRED to have internet connectivity to spin this camera back up. Since I'm using BI, I had blocked ALL cameras from internet access and all was well until this. After reading this thread from the beginning, and if I got it right, nobody has identified a camera that works with BI AND can be fenced off from the interweb AND the mobile app will still work. Or did I miss one?

A previous poster mentioned that his existing cameras covered his porch well so he was considering just letting the doorbell have internet access to use its app and not add it to BI. I am considering doing the same thing with the Amcrest but also putting it on an isolated IOT wifi network (after I'm done being pissed at them).

What's new/improved with doorbells and BI? What are you guys using and what limits/benefits do your solutions offer? thanks!

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution to this but looks like no one has anything.

Ideally I'm looking at just something that will give me 2 way audio. I have enough cans covering everything and don't want another camera... Just desperately need 2 way audio of some sort!