Blue Iris compatible doorbell/intercom/2 way audio

nydegger

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I will send Ken an email.

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just picked up a cheap rebranded hikvision cube by annke (50 via annke/60 via amazon - i am not at the locations of the other cubes, so I could not properly test those older ones) and it does work over wan/lan via the latest android mobile app and latest server update...use hikvision 2cdxxxx rtsp and leave everything default....its a bit clearer when wired, but works well, i tested for over a 30 min span, and each time it worked fine..
I got the Hikvision version and have it connected via BI and the android app. I just check the settings. Do I need to enable any audio setting on the camera itself? Do I need to connect the camera with a speaker or something?
I pressed the mic button on the android app and talk to the phone but nothing came out of the camera?

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you guys actually been able to get a cube to be useful for real remote communication? I have owned cubes for a while but they don't appear to be sufficient for actual communication, they do work well for listening (nursery). I'm curious if someone has actually had success placing one at a front door and talking to someone at the door over a cellular connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you guys actually been able to get a cube to be useful for real remote communication? I have owned cubes for a while but they don't appear to be sufficient for actual communication, they do work well for listening (nursery). I'm curious if someone has actually had success placing one at a front door and talking to someone at the door over a cellular connection.
It works as stated ..

nydegger

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman just curious what Android model and ver do you have it working on. I have also tried on an old Samsun S3 mini Ver 4.4.2. I have also emailed Ken.

Also just tried on an old Nexus 7 Ver 4.4.4 tablet and same results.

Last edited:

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Mine is working consistently with a Moto G6 Plus, running 7.0 (stock but rooted) and the latest version of the app from the Play store.

Key for me was making sure that both the camera settings in BI (camera properties, video, configure, audio section) and the camera's direct GUI both have the ULAW audio profile. Having them mismatched or both ALAW worked but with choppy and horribly distorted audio.

upload_2017-9-24_17-31-21.png

upload_2017-9-24_17-32-27.png

And, of course, under the video section of the camera's GUI, make sure you have 'Video&Audio' under the Video Type field:

upload_2017-9-24_17-34-20.png

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just had a thought... I've set ALL of my 3 and 4MP Hikvision cameras to 720P, with frame rates of 15, and bandwidth set to about 2mbps. With 30 cameras, and non-D2D (love me some overlays), my i7-4xxx desktop already has a noticeable frame rate drop when there is a lot of activity (fog, rain, windy days, etc). I don't see enough clarity improvement on the higher resolutions to justify the nearly constant 100% CPU I see when up at those levels.

Perhaps that's part of the issue? For those with the crappy audio, are your resolutions/frame rates at max? Maybe the cameras (or the BI PC) are too taxed to handle the audio stream?

nydegger

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I have went back and checked my settings and they are identical to yours. Works with the BI PC and IOS phone, just not my android devices.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Dahua VTO2111D-WP for my doorbell project

I found an article allowing it to be hacked for a doorbell chime or other sensor that switches with voltage (from button press)

Hacking Dahua Video Intercom VTO2111D-WP to add a ding dong bell

also it can show video in blueiris through RTSP stream or possibly ONVIF but that is not confirmed in the latest update from dahua in the firmware

the package is from an ebay seller in china so it should get to the USA in a week or two

baraider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just picked up a cheap rebranded hikvision cube by annke (50 via annke/60 via amazon - i am not at the locations of the other cubes, so I could not properly test those older ones) and it does work over wan/lan via the latest android mobile app and latest server update...use hikvision 2cdxxxx rtsp and leave everything default....its a bit clearer when wired, but works well, i tested for over a 30 min span, and each time it worked fine..
I got the Annke on Amazon and set it up yesterday. When I press on the headphone icon on the Android app, I can hear audio in location where the cube is. However, when I click on the Mic icon on the app and talk, there is no sound coming out of the cube camera. Is there a speaker I need to connect to the camera? If so, which speaker?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the Annke on Amazon and set it up yesterday. When I press on the headphone icon on the Android app, I can hear audio in location where the cube is. However, when I click on the Mic icon on the app and talk, there is no sound coming out of the cube camera. Is there a speaker I need to connect to the camera? If so, which speaker?
Blue Iris compatible doorbell/intercom/2 way audio
it has a built in speaker

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So there is no 'doorbell button' on this cube camera, correct?

So really it's not much of a video doorbell, but something that would need to notify you through motion detection that someone is there - and you would open a 2-way audio link hoping they are still at the door?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So there is no 'doorbell button' on this cube camera, correct?

So really it's not much of a video doorbell, but something that would need to notify you through motion detection that someone is there - and you would open a 2-way audio link hoping they are still at the door?
its not a doorbell..its a camera with 2 way audio and pir sensor.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nest Hello coming soon... No idea on power source or ability to link to BI (likely not). Know who’s knocking.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently it is Wifi AC, Bluetooth, and Thread protocol for connectivity. No word on power source, but allows 24/7 viewing (not recording) so it seems if it is battery powered it won't last long, or it might be powered off low voltage from doorbell wiring.

https://www.pcmag.com/review/356367/

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Full duplex is not what you want, see my comments on it here IP Intercom (two-way talk) and Alarm. Also, I don't see that this cube thing is a doorbell or for outdoor use (?)
Doorbird has a published API which you can leverage from to get it to work with BI, your existing doorbell, and phone app. and it's POE.
Cons: You need to be technically inclined, installation can be challenging.

Last edited:
Reaction score
While the Doorbird still looks the the best fit my wants and needs and even with it's ability to tell my home automation controller to unlock the z wave doorlock I'm likely to be switching over to it wiil still cost a good bit than adding something to one of these bellow (I can actually probably use the relay the doorbell button for my Aoetec doorbell actually only use for playing mp3 notification for other things and as a range extender).

Both of these offer some cool things over the Doorbird but if they don't have 180 deg field of view lens they won't be a good fit for me.

There's also the question about how well each's call apps work and how secure they are as that's what I'd be using for taking calls and remotely unlocking door for visitors if needed while in call, I'd only be using BI record video and maybe audio(some other external mic would likely be better)

Hi

I have purchased this and currently integrating into BlueIris

Amazon.com: GBF New Upgraded -Global Wireless Video Doorphone & Doorbell WI-FI Intercom System Night Vision Weatherproof: Cell Phones & Accessories
WiFi Intercom | Product Categories | GBF electronics Inc

Note the recent review on Amazon.

I can confirm is Ovnif compatible (once the right port is selected in BlueIris)
Can add to BlueIris as camera and pulls stream (constantly) without problem.

The app seems to work well'ish - but was hoping to bypass it altogether and integrate with home automation system.

Haven't installed or tested the relay connections as yet - but see no reason they shouldn't work for gate/door opening.

So far the biggest stumbling block is to capture the doorbell press within BlueIris - I do get some events - but can't quite isolate the trigger settings.

All in all though; currently waiting for rain cover to install - may just send the stream constantly to BlueIris as additional camera and use their app if cant immediately integrate.

Glenn
What's the camera's angle of view? It's hard to find any specifications on this thing at least the Amazon it listed the OVnif part so at least I thought I'd be able to use it with BI.

I like that they this version with a keypad so using something like a kevo smart lock for super easy normal entry and keypad if I don't have my phone/key on me(also guest entry) or it doesn't actually work like the August locks.

Yes the DS-KV8102 looks nice. It has:

PoE
Camera/Audio
Push button
RFID entry (not necessary but neat, I guess)

IF it can work with BI as an IP camera, thats step 1. If it can get audio from BI app to its internal speaker that's awesome as well, thats step 2. If the front-facing button, when depressed, opens the pink NC lead on the rear of the unit momentarily, that would seal the deal!

The manual on the hikvision website is very vague but does show that the leads on the whip on the rear of the unit are meant to function as open/close contacts for electronic admittance locks on a doorway. There is also an alarm function, but the manual is not clear if the alarm is just for the 'case open' tamper button or if 'alarm' is just mis-speak and is meant to say 'chime'.

Cons of the unit are that it's only 1.3MP and, well, may not work with BI at all. Waiting to hear from BI through email before I purchase one on ebay but I'm VERY close to doing so.
Did you end up getting one of these?

This one I also couldn't find any info on the angle of view, which I find odd, they usually at least give the focal length and sensor size so you calculate it(maybe since it's a fish-eye they don't but you'd think they'd at least mention that part). I did find a test video for the bigger version that I can see it has a pretty wide field of view but might not be 180 deg.

The card reader thing is pretty cool, I could use one of those key chain chips for easy entry and have a keypad z wave lock if I don't have phone/card/key/guest entry.

I'd also like to buy a flush mount case for this one as I don't want to cut any big holes in my wall until I know it's something I'm going to be happy with(granted this doesn't require that big of hole I think it's wider than some of the doorbell cams I've been looking at)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

abelmj

n3wb
Reaction score
For my needs (and maintain my sanity by reducing frustration), I decided to simply install the Ring Doorbell to augment my BI security cams. Since Ring does the 2-way intercom requirement well and saves video to the cloud at a reasonable cost, I decided this would work best. I use the BI cams to do continuous recording more for historical purposes and to cover more areas should I need to go to them if circumstance warrant. I spent a lot of time researching and trying out things that would create a unified BI solution for Doorbell and Security Cams and just could not find anything that worked well. Using this 2 approach solution ended up being simple and does the job well.

kasper-pa-

n3wb
Reaction score